Photo

problems booting with safestrap

Best Answer RikRong , 12 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

First off, is your bootloader unlocked and if it is, why are you using SS?  Second off, if your BL is locked, you can't use 10.2, it's not SS compatible.  Finally, did you try to flash this over the stock slot?  If you did, you'll need to restore your backup and if that doesn't work, you'll need to fastboot back to stock, either with RSD or with Matt's utility.  If RSD is failing, try it again or use the utility to restore back to stock.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mtyler101066

mtyler101066

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

I have a rooted Verizon XT926 running 4.1.2.

I installed safestrap and booted successfully.  I then attempted to install CM 10.2, but when I rebooted I get the message :

Failed to hab check for boot 0x56

Fastboot Reason: Boot failure

I attempted to flash back to factory setting using RSD Lite 6.1.4, but flash failed.  

Need help, any recommendations?

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:55 AM   Best Answer

First off, is your bootloader unlocked and if it is, why are you using SS?  Second off, if your BL is locked, you can't use 10.2, it's not SS compatible.  Finally, did you try to flash this over the stock slot?  If you did, you'll need to restore your backup and if that doesn't work, you'll need to fastboot back to stock, either with RSD or with Matt's utility.  If RSD is failing, try it again or use the utility to restore back to stock.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

For a flash failure message, it means that your last flash failed. Now you need to get something to flash properly to get past that message.

The easiest way is to flash a boot logo. there are plenty of posts on this.

• RikRong likes this

#4 mtyler101066

mtyler101066

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thanks, I was able to re-flash and get it working.

I am new to custom ROMs.  I tried unlocking my bootloader with motopocalypse but it didn't work.  That's why I tried SS.  What rom's are SS compatible?

#5 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks, I was able to re-flash and get it working.

I am new to custom ROMs.  I tried unlocking my bootloader with motopocalypse but it didn't work.  That's why I tried SS.  What rom's are SS compatible?

Yeah, if you're on the latest update, you won't be able to unlock your BL.  With that being said, most of the SS compatible ROMs were built prior to when the BL unlock was released.  The BL exploit came out in early April.  Also, I think Avi has SS compatible ROM posted over on XDA.  I know he posted one for the M, but I'm not sure about the HD. 

#6 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Curious why SafeStrap went by the wayside. I'm brand new to this stuff, thereby making myself prone to snickers from the long-termers, but from my reading it seems like it is the least invasive option. It doesn't seem to replace anything if you avoid the stock partition, so what is the attraction of the new method over SS?

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Curious why SafeStrap went by the wayside. I'm brand new to this stuff, thereby making myself prone to snickers from the long-termers, but from my reading it seems like it is the least invasive option. It doesn't seem to replace anything if you avoid the stock partition, so what is the attraction of the new method over SS?

SS was needed when the bootloader was locked. It was the ONLY was to flash custom roms. Once the bootloader was unlocked you could just use a standard recovery and flash roms correctly which includes Kernel support. Also the way SS works it eats up a ton of your memory and SD card space.

• RikRong likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

SS was needed when the bootloader was locked. It was the ONLY was to flash custom roms. Once the bootloader was unlocked you could just use a standard recovery and flash roms correctly which includes Kernel support. Also the way SS works it eats up a ton of your memory and SD card space.

Although with the current XT926 device the bootloader is again locked putting us back in that boat.

And SS uses up memory even after the ROM is booted? I have not heard that before and could affect a decision to even try it on my device.

#9 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ss takes up a lot of space. To have a safe side and ROM slots. I've heard rage ROM works on ss.

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#10 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Although with the current XT926 device the bootloader is again locked putting us back in that boat.

And SS uses up memory even after the ROM is booted? I have not heard that before and could affect a decision to even try it on my device.

Yeah, it partitions off some memory to keep your aftermarket ROM slot seperate from the stock ROM slot.

• Memnoch73 likes this

#11 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, it partitions off some memory to keep your aftermarket ROM slot seperate from the stock ROM slot.

Ah, so it sounds like you are referring to storage and not necessarily RAM. I can handle a couple GBs of storage, but RAM is already a bit of a premium on the XT926 device.

#12 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thats correct, storage not ram. SS uses you internal "sdcard" for the storage of the slots. Quite frankly on an HD theres so much space compared to the 912 so I dont see it being an issue, but thats just me.

And, if you only create and use one slot at a time, then you still have that room. On my 912 I would just make backups, instead of keeping slots in a "inactive" mode.

Hope that makes sense. Having said that, I dont know if SS is a little different on the 926, as my HD is unlocked.

#13 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Yep, makes perfect sense. I haven't pulled the trigger yet just because I'm trying to educate myself on the many topics as much as possible, but these discussions certainly help. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users