#1 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was recently forced to replace my ailing router (read: it had a massive coronary lol) and got a simultaneous dual bander. I live in an apartment complex, so 2.4ghz is obviously crazy crowded. All of my computers and even my TV have dual band wifi capabilities, so imagine my surprise when I discover that the XT910 has dual band wifi but not the XT912. I'm curious if they used a completely different wifi radio/antenna setup in the 912 because of the LTE implementation or if it's the same wifi radio / antenna combo and just software locked?

"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced" -- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I would also be interested in a mod like this, I don't get great reception on 2.4ghz.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I was able to find this thread on XDA, but it appears to be for the XT909, and Gingerbread only (on .211 here). The mentioned files don't exist in that folder on my XT912.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced" -- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

#4 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I will throw my name in for people who would like to see this happen. I find myself in hotels often and that band is also very crowded. Any devs think they can crack this

#5 scriz

scriz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm not sure why you guys would want to run 802.11a. G and N are only broadcast in 2.4ghz

#6 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Incorrect. 802.11n and the new 802.11ac both broadcast in the 5.2 / 5.7 Ghz range with much success, especially in areas dense with 2.4ghz deployments such as apartment complexes (where I live). Most mid and upper tier routers now are dual band, some simultaneous (meaning they broadcast on both 2.4 and 5Ghz at the same time, effectively creating two separate networks).

#7 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

An example of the benefits of 5Ghz are those that live in apartment complexes and businesses in large commercial complexes. 2.4Ghz gets crowded quickly, so SNR (Signal To Noise) ratios go down and throughput along with it. In my complex I can scan over 30 unique SSIDs on 2.4G from my apartment, but only one 5Ghz SSID on the lower end (5.2). Since there are no neighboring sites, I don't feel bad using a 40mhz wide channel on the upper end (5.7) that doesn't interfere with anyone, achieving 300mhz throughput without bugging any of my neighbors networks. 40mhz 2.4Ghz channels would interfere with all of the networks around me.

#8 mdowns989

mdowns989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Twitter:@mdowns989
  • Google+:+Michael Downs
  • LocationCentral Coast Cali.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

+1 Would love that mod...

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#9 Leisures

Leisures

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

i will like that as well :)

#10 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

The normal radios are going to be different. The XT910 has GSM/HSDPA/UTMS/HSUPA/EDGE, while the XT912 has CDMA/GSM/UTMS/HSPA/LTE/Ev-Do/EDGE/GPRS. The 912 come with a lot more available radio options.

So, as far as those radios, they are different, but because they stuffed the 912 with more, they may have just simply skimped out on the dual-band Wi-Fi, as it would probably not market well to the average consumer anyway.

this is probably irrelevant information, but i agree that if there is something we can do with the Wi-fi chip to get dual-band, that would be awesome.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#11 brees75

brees75

Developer

• Developer
  • 217 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

This may not mean anything, but I am running Liquid 1.5 on my OG Razr and I do have the 5 GHz band uption in my WiFi settings under advanced. If other custom ROMS don't have that option it may be worth checking it out. I assumed it works only because when I select it WiFi still works and it doesn't FC. If it is just a dummy setting then disregard this post, just thought I would give a heads up. It can be found over at Rootzwiki Razr ROM section.

#12 schollianmj

schollianmj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Im running Axiom's Infekted ROM and Like above, under advanced I can switch it to 5ghz as well.
Razr Maxx OTA, Rooted, Probably have some random ROM installled...

#13 brees75

brees75

Developer

• Developer
  • 217 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Im running Axiom's Infekted ROM and Like above, under advanced I can switch it to 5ghz as well.

Yeah I figured it was probably a ghost setting from other phones, Liquid is based on CM9 so it is probably a dead setting like I mentioned above.

#14 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

isnt the 4g faster than any hotel wifi? most places ive stayed are agonizingly slow.

#15 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

isnt the 4g faster than any hotel wifi? most places ive stayed are agonizingly slow.

Even 3G is sometimes faster than any hotel depending on where you're staying, how much you're paying, and the amount of people delaying the network.

Yes, I rhymed on purpose.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#16 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

LoL @ HouseMD. Hotel internet absolutely suxxx with rare exceptions. I am more interested in 5Ghz for home. I live in an apartment complex that is absolutely bathed with 2.4Ghz, with only one other network on 5Ghz low, and mine on 5Ghz high. I only keep the 2.4Ghz radio turned on in my router for my phone. From looking at teardowns, the XT910 and XT912 both use the Texas Instruments WL1285C WiLink 7.0 series chipset. This is the same chipset used in the Bionic and a slew of other late model smartphones. It even has temperature sensors and FM radio capability, though the latter seems to be software disabled. The thread on XDA that I linked to in post #3 mentions driver changes to enable the 5Ghz band on specific flavors of the GSM Razr that had them factory disabled. Sadly those modifications were for GB not ICS. I may take the plunge and try one of the aforementioned ROMs that shows a setting for it. Being that this chipset is so common, a generic driver for it may very well enable the band.

#17 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

LoL @ HouseMD. Hotel internet absolutely suxxx with rare exceptions. I am more interested in 5Ghz for home. I live in an apartment complex that is absolutely bathed with 2.4Ghz, with only one other network on 5Ghz low, and mine on 5Ghz high. I only keep the 2.4Ghz radio turned on in my router for my phone. From looking at teardowns, the XT910 and XT912 both use the Texas Instruments WL1285C WiLink 7.0 series chipset. This is the same chipset used in the Bionic and a slew of other late model smartphones. It even has temperature sensors and FM radio capability, though the latter seems to be software disabled. The thread on XDA that I linked to in post #3 mentions driver changes to enable the 5Ghz band on specific flavors of the GSM Razr that had them factory disabled. Sadly those modifications were for GB not ICS. I may take the plunge and try one of the aforementioned ROMs that shows a setting for it. Being that this chipset is so common, a generic driver for it may very well enable the band.

How would you install such driver if it existed. Would it be a cw flash or apk. Would the locked bl cause any issues?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users