got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Mixed opinions on this being it's from Asus who IMHO has sub par build quality. Secondly no SD card slot with only 8 or 16 GB internal is a real bummer.

FYI Google is offering $25 credit to the Play store if you pre order one now.

If I do get one it will definitely have to be the 16 gb model. I added one to my cart on Google Play and tax for me is $22 plus the $14 mandatory 2day shipping and it comes to $285...still not a bad deal per se but not the $249 price they like to throw around. $249 OTD would be good but honestly pushing $300 is not appealing to me.

Maybe just wait til I can grab one used and development really starts taking off.

Would also be nice, as incentive if they branded the first 1,000 or so w/ a special back plate or something.

What is everyone else's take on this?
Posted Image

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't see why people are making a fuss about Asus. The Transformer line are great tablets.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
  • bpm1055 likes this

#3 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

eh I think I'll pick one up eventually but don't have a need to preorder it.

#4 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I don't see why people are making a fuss about Asus. The Transformer line are great tablets.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

Every Asus tab I've held had creaks, light bleed, dead pixels, etc....not to mention the notorious issues that plagued the prime. Just not a fan of them.
Posted Image

#5 porkshanker

porkshanker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I been waiting for a good 7 inch tab besides the Samsung tab 2

#6 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Preorderd my 16 GB!!! Can't wait to... wait, its like 3 weeks....... lol still can't wait to play with it!
a what? an android? whats that?

#7 TopherRZ

TopherRZ

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Every Asus tab I've held had creaks, light bleed, dead pixels, etc....not to mention the notorious issues that plagued the prime. Just not a fan of them.

My Prime has no issues. Beautiful screen, no light bleed, no dead pixels, flawless performance. Awesome tablet all around. Everyone I know that has one loves it too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
*Only four iPh0n3s were hurt in the making of this post*

#8 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I've had first had experience with asus laptops and have 0 interest buying one of their tablets. My son has a Samsung galaxy tab 2 and it's build quality is far better than my exwifes laptop. Just sayin

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#9 Ballbagus

Ballbagus

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

In my experience with Asus as of late its not so much the build quality (which i will admit has been poor lately) its more the service after the sale. The whole rma experience is a nightmare. I used to own exclusively Asus motherboards and the like but have been turned off since my Rma's with my transformer. (bad power button, and shutting down completely when plugged into the dock). I was shocked when Google chose them to make their 7" tablet tbh.

#10 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

In my experience with Asus as of late its not so much the build quality (which i will admit has been poor lately) its more the service after the sale. The whole rma experience is a nightmare. I used to own exclusively Asus motherboards and the like but have been turned off since my Rma's with my transformer. (bad power button, and shutting down completely when plugged into the dock). I was shocked when Google chose them to make their 7" tablet tbh.

To any Asus tab owners please don't take offense to this line of thinking I'm about to project. Also w/ that said I do own Asus mobo's in my gaming rigs and an Asus laptop. W/ that out of the way....

I think Google picked them b/c their build quality is cheap, that helps keep the price down. When I hold a Sammy, Moto, Apple, HP, Toshiba, etc tablet, it may not have the greatest and latest specs but it feels durable, high class, etc. Asus tablets have never felt what I feel when I hold one of the other manufacturers tablets. This is just one man's opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

Another thing I will say is I really don't like all the extra screen bezel on the top and bottom. That's gotta be at least 3/4's to a full inch of nothing but black useless space. Even the side bezels are close to a half inch of un-needed glass and plastic.

I guess I'll just wait til the reviews come out and we'll see how it goes. I have no doubt w/ Google and Asus combined updates will be non stop/frequent/on time and development will be off the charts.
Posted Image

#11 TopherRZ

TopherRZ

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

I think Google picked them b/c their build quality is cheap, that helps keep the price down. When I hold a Sammy, Moto, Apple, HP, Toshiba, etc tablet, it may not have the greatest and latest specs but it feels durable, high class, etc. Asus tablets have never felt what I feel when I hold one of the other manufacturers tablets. This is just one man's opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

To me the Transformer Prime feels like the most durable tablet on the market right now. I've dropped that thing numerous times and no scratch on it. The previous model doesn't feel at all like the Prme as far as build quality, it's got a cheap feel to it. Not the Prime though. Just my two cents.
*Only four iPh0n3s were hurt in the making of this post*

#12 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

Yeah TFP has turned me off of Asus. Used to be a great company. Lol any of you guys go to xda for the first six months? Every thread was a "xxx isnt working" "xxx broke" I went through a bunch myself. Only reason mine still works is I stopped using it.

Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!

#13 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Well against my better judgement I pre-ordered an 8gig. Hope it ships early. :)
Posted Image

#14 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm gonna wait for a bigger tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#15 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Since I already have a 10" tablet that will be getting 4.1 in July (if deadlines are met), this 7" will probably fill the void. I've had other 7" tabs and honestly like them better than 10" tabs. To me, on the go 10" tabs become cumbersome, excessive, etc. 7" fills the void. No doubt a 10" Nexus tab will come some time from now, but Google is aiming straight for the Fire/Nook Market. I do like however pure Nexus devices from Google that way they push the updates and it's vanilla OS, no middle man approvals from VZW/AT&T/Sprint/TMO etc. No bloatware either. Coming straight from the source.

Still don't understand the Nexus Q, and at $300 I'm not going to be dropping the coin to find out whether I need one or not. When Google feels they've succeeded in putting a dent in the ereader/Amazon/ B&N market, I have no doubt they'll go back after Apple w/ a 10" Nexus device w/ amazing specs, and a price that shows it.
Posted Image

#16 Pike

Pike

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

All the reviews I have read from Wired.com to CNET have had great reviews of this product. They claim the Asus build is fantastic and for teh money you can't go wrong. My GF bought me a 16gb model and I am really excited for it to arrive. I am curious how active the developer community will be on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users