13 replies to this topic

#1 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

I wanted to clear some space and I went to storage and cleared all "Misc" space in my storage settings. I was using Simplex before but when I rebooted a few days later, it wouldn't show up and I've been using stock. I installed safestrap 3.60 and tried installing Aviator, but I get a black screen on boot. Anyone know how I could fix this?

Completely unrelated to this issue, but my 4g hasn't been working for almost a year either. My provider is Verizon Wireless.

#2 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

What device ?

• neckchop likes this
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#3 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

Find a link in here for House of Moto or Matt's utility...time to restore that phone. I am going to take a big leap and assume (we all no about assumptions lol!) you have a RAZR (xt912) The main reason I think a full restore is needed is the no 4g thing...unless you live on the moon you ought to have had 4g at some point in the last year. Something is not right there. :)

Side note...in the future if you have an issue and need help ( I hope you don't) try to give as much detail as possible... such as device, system version etc. I hope this is helpful.
  • neckchop and johnthehillbilly like this

#4 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Will this fix my safestrap or roms if i do a restore?

#5 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

Will this fix my safestrap or roms if i do a restore?

What either of those utilities will do is take you back to stock unrooted unstrapped status. You can then reroot reinstall safestrap and basically start fresh. This is the most surefire method to fix the problems you described. Just be sure to read read read before you attempt either method. I hope this gets you back in action. :)

#6 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks jl90! And you were right i have and XT912, with the stock os at version 4.0.4, when i get home I'll run a recovery and let anyone lurking this thread know how it turns out

#7 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thanks jl90! And you were right i have and XT912, with the stock os at version 4.0.4, when i get home I'll run a recovery and let anyone lurking this thread know how it turns out

You're still on ICS? :) I just want to point out that the latest versions of the utilities are for JB (4.1.2) So if you want to stay on ICS you may have to dig up an older version of the utility(s). I wish I had links to share but I unfortunately do not. Although I'm sure if someone does they will eventually pop in and post them :) again, good luck. :D and read read read!! Lol!

#8 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well things aren't looking too good. After using House of Moto to restore my device, I tried updating my stock OS and it failed.

bE9Xss5.png

I rerooted and reinstalled Safestrap 3.60. I tried installing Aviator again and also tried installing the previous version of Aviator, but I get a black screen on boot.

So I'm not sure if it's not working because my stock OS is out of date, which wouldn't really make sense, do you have any idea of what it would be?

#9 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

The stock os would be the problem. I believe the ROMs you are trying to run are based off jb. Being as ss doesn't flash the kernel a jb ROM won't run off of the ICS kernel.

• jl90 likes this
Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#10 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

So how can I fix it? Do i have to do another restore? Or can i download something.

#11 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well you have two choices...stay on ICS and use older "legacy" ROMs.(those will not work with safestrap 3.60 use 3.11) That one leaves you less choices as far as custom stuff. Option two (recommended) is update OS to JB. You will be able to run the newest utility (Matt's might be easiest) to update OS and it can also root your phone after OS update. :)

#12 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

So do I have to restore and then use Matt's Utility or whatever? And can you give me a link to this my friend.

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.... here is Matt's latest utility...... :) as usual ... make sure you are charged fully.... then run option 1...... that is all you need :) .... it will wipe and upgrade you to JB ....

I would backup and wipe internal storage, as soon as the utility is finished running....BEFORE root and safestrap.....(this will clear and "leftovers" that are not playing nice with your phone)......

HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!

• jl90 likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#14 captaincola

captaincola

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the help. I got it working, and I love Aviator!

For anyone lurking this was the issue:

I needed to update my phone, but I wasn't able to because of root.

To fix this I used Matt's Utilities in the above post, then everything worked perfectly.

Moral of the Story: If you're getting a black screen, make sure you have the most up to date system, and also make sure you have the correct version of Safestrap.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

• johnthehillbilly, shane1 and jl90 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users