21 replies to this topic

#1 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

Please help. I'm trying to unroot my phone for the ICS update. I used Doomlord's rooting and unrooting programs. The unroot appears to work fine but after my phone reboots superuser is still on it and my ICS install fails 1/4 of the way into it. I've been reading up on different unrooting methods but don't want to screw something up and brick my phone.

#2 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

Just fastboot to .181 and then take it. Or easier would be to install voodoo and temp. unroot and try it. That should work.
a what? an android? whats that?

#3 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

leviwg, thanks for the quick reply. I'm very new to this, is there somewhere that I can get specific instructions on fastbooting to .18?. the voodoo temp install sounds more like my speed, where could I find that? Thanks for the help.

#4 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

This is everything you need:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Also has Voodoo Root Keeper too

#5 Nickcco123

Nickcco123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

Had to this during soak to get the update to install

This will only work if you use bootstrap or safestrap and have NOT FDR.
1. Reroot (If not currently rooted)
2. Get root explorer in the market (or esfile explorer) if you dont have it.
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app (or safestrap)
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. Make sure you enable Read and Write in settings
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone
10. Redownload the update and it should install without issue.
Now should be able to unroot with

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#6 Nickcco123

Nickcco123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Sorry will work if you have done a FDR also

#7 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

Don't know what's going on with my phone. I tried voodoo root keeper and was denied permission, also I'm getting denied permissions with bootstrap also. never had that problem before trying to unroot. I don't have root explorer but tried esfile explorer and getting denied permissions. didn't want to pay for any other software to download if i'm going to have the same problem. superuser access is allowed though. This is so frustrating.

#8 Nickcco123

Nickcco123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

In ES File Explorer, go to settings, and then under ROOT SETTINGS, check boxes "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System", this will allow to delete and rename files

#9 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

when I click on Root Explorer it denies me superuser permissions so i can't access any of them

#10 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

It then says sorry this feature cannot run on this phone

#11 Nickcco123

Nickcco123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

re-root phone, and then follow steps sounds like phone not rooted, but the files are still stored on phone

#12 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

That's what I was thinking also so I did reroot but have the same problem. It won't allow any access to any other programs now. Just don't know where to go from here.

#13 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Anyone with any clue as to what I can do with my phone? I can't unroot and superuser is denying permissions to everything now.

#14 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Anyone with any clue as to what I can do with my phone? I can't unroot and superuser is denying permissions to everything now.

Have you verified and/or reinstalled busybox.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#15 zachjeep

zachjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Why do you need to unroot for update? I never had a problem with it being rooted.

#16 CptSashimi

CptSashimi

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Device(s):Moto X & Nexus 7

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Try BusyBox by Stericson to load/verify busybox. This might help you.

#17 Hero_Indeed

Hero_Indeed

Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

The simplest add by fat the easiest way to unroot and go back to stock 181 (out off the box) is download Matts Utility version 1.6.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
Posted Image

#18 mpd2414

mpd2414

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

I haven't tried installing busybox but I did try Matt's utility and it didn't work either.

#19 CptSashimi

CptSashimi

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Device(s):Moto X & Nexus 7

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

on my razr maxx i used matts 1.7 utility to return to stock, clean wipe and upgrade to ics and it worked like a charm.

for my wife's razr maxx i used nickcco123's instructions and it worked like a charm. my wife didn't want to lose her stuff and i didn't want to fool around with a bunch of backup apps so nickcco was a big time saver. i don't think it was the root that was causing the problem, i think it was the bootstrapper.

thanks nickcco123

#20 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

It doesn't sound like your phone is rooted. If it were, you would not get superuser errors, because by default you are the superuser.

Get Matt's utility (I think you already have it), unzip it on your computer, make sure you install the drivers, and run it with your phone in Fastboot Mode (i.e., push Power and Volume Down buttons at same time, wait about 10 seconds, when screen flashes, release the power button only, and the screen should say you are in fastboot mode). Then use USB cable to connect device to computer.

Before you start, you should already have USB debugging enabled in Developer options on your phone.

With the files you already have on your phone, and no idea what you may have added/erased, it's impossible to troubleshoot what is causing the issues for you. You're better off flashing to a clean stock build and going from there.

Sorry if any of the above seems obvious, but trying to help. There could be some sort of compatibility problem. Tell me this:

Are you on CDMA or GSM? (I know, this is GSM part of forum) - or, are you on Verizon US, or other part of the world?
What stock build are you / were you on, i.e, what's your base build?
What custom ROM are you on, or are you on no custom ROM? If stock, what else have you added to phone in terms of software/hacks?

You can get most of this by going to System Settings - About Phone. The important info is your phone model, your android version, and your system version. With that, it's a lot easier to give you constructive advice.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users