Photo

Most Efficient Method Of Switching Roms?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Checking out new ROMS is cool and all....But a pain in the rear end....especially with the time it takes to set up your phone how you normally like it.

So my question is: how do yall get this out of the way as fast as possible?

Im sure some of yall crackflashers have this down to a science.

#2 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

When flashing a different ROM that requires a data wipe, there isn't much you can do to avoid this but here are the two things i do that makes the process easier.

1. I back up all apps with something like tibu or ROM toolbox.
2. Then just to make sure, i also do backups of apps that have that option built in. (like my launcher).

Then after a wipe and flash of a new rom, it is as simple as restoring my backup with tibu or rom toolbox first, then if for some reason my screens do not automatically template the way i had them, i restore my launcher backup through the app itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#3 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

JungleKing76 has pretty much got it, but here is my philosophy. Yes, its a pain to switch ROMs quickly, but if you're only trying it out, remember that you can just put your essential apps on it first before making it your ROM for the time being.

I have SafeStrap installed, so if anything messes up, I have a 211 stock rooted ROM in case anything goes wrong.

1. In your current ROM, backup all user apps and data. (If you're going from a 211 ROM to another 211 ROM, you can also back up some system information (usually the stuff that's highlighted in green when backing up system data))
2. Put ROM on SD Card
3. Go into SafeStrap or BootStrap (or whatever recovery you use), and make a backup of your ROM. (This will be a much easier process to restore your previous ROM, should you want to go back)
4. Wipe Data
5. Wipe Cache
6. If it tells you to wipe anything else, do it.
7. Flash ROM
8. Get it all set up
9. Download TiBu
10. Restore apps and app data (and if you have some system data, be careful)
11. Be happy

:D

You have to wipe Data and Cache, and sometimes System. (maybe dalvik if it requires)

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#4 BigJArm

BigJArm

• Developer
  • 212 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR; Nexus 10

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

I use tibu just like the others have mentioned.

One thing I do that the didn't mention is using Matt's 1wipe2rulethemall instead of wiping cache davlik and system manually. It will save you a few minutes anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 twister250

twister250

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

I use a batch apk install utility. It allows restore of data of selected apps. I keep a folder on computer of apks that I use. Do a quick pull of apps off current ROM, wipe, flash, batch install, batch restore selected data, restore launcher settings, and add a couple of widgets to home screen, and done.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

#6 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

Checking out new ROMS is cool and all....But a pain in the rear end....especially with the time it takes to set up your phone how you normally like it.

So my question is: how do yall get this out of the way as fast as possible?

Im sure some of yall crackflashers have this down to a science.

Get on a 12 step program. Otherwise backup your favorites, wifi settings, bt pairings, and any apps you need. You have to use your head though as some restores will at times cause more problems between different roms. It's best to wait for a really good rom. There really aren't any in my opinion. The 4.0.4 stock build is f'ing awesome.
  • JJT211 likes this

#7 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

Get on a 12 step program. Otherwise backup your favorites, wifi settings, bt pairings, and any apps you need. You have to use your head though as some restores will at times cause more problems between different roms. It's best to wait for a really good rom. There really aren't any in my opinion. The 4.0.4 stock build is f'ing awesome.

Mine was 11 steps. :P
Did I forget one? haha.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#8 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:coletrane09
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

When flashing a different ROM that requires a data wipe, there isn't much you can do to avoid this but here are the two things i do that makes the process easier.

1. I back up all apps with something like tibu or ROM toolbox.
2. Then just to make sure, i also do backups of apps that have that option built in. (like my launcher).

Then after a wipe and flash of a new rom, it is as simple as restoring my backup with tibu or rom toolbox first, then if for some reason my screens do not automatically template the way i had them, i restore my launcher backup through the app itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

exactly what he said

This isn't the Droid your looking for

#9 Brian

Brian

Everyday holds a different challenge, how will you meet them?

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAnywhere you Aren't

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Ok listen, all of those steps are good, BUT, what I do is this, find the rom I like, I set it up and use it...install some apps...whatever. Then, when I am ready to switch roms, I make a back up of my current rom, including webtop and primary system. Then I wipe and try another rom, if I like it, I will use it, but if I want to go back to the other rom, I simply go back to Safestrap(Yes this app is essential), Make a back up of the second rom, then simply do a restore of the first, including webtop. no wipe, no hassel. I have done this at least 40 times and never ran into trouble. I also will use es file explorer or some root explorer and rename my rom back ups to indicate what rom it is. EAZY PEAZY.
  • JJT211 likes this

#10 papanut

papanut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

In addition to what has already been mentioned ,using either Apex or Nova once I get my screens set up I back up those settings.

Then after backing up apps, and doing the nandroid backup and installing a new rom
I restore the launcher settings and boom my screens are back all set up with the icons etc how I like them

#11 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I learned that buying Titanium Backup to get the quick app restore (don't have to hit install to install all the apps) made my life much easier when trying new roms. LIke the others said, also make a backup of any rom you really enjoy on your sd card and put it on your comp or something to save space. Then if you want to go back, simply put it back on your sd card and restore it. But like I said, Titanium Backup Paid version is greatly worth it if you're crack flashing.

eb7gn6.png

#12 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

In addition to what has already been mentioned ,using either Apex or Nova once I get my screens set up I back up those settings.<br /><br />Then after backing up apps, and doing the nandroid backup and installing a new rom<br />I restore the launcher settings and boom my screens are back all set up with the icons etc how I like them

<br /><br />Lol. Not really in addition because i said this in my post too. But it never hearts to repeat. :-)<br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users