#1 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto XT907

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I was rooted/unlocked until the 4.1.2 update last spring, but I accidentally did the 4.1.2 update and lost root access.  I didn't really care too much, so I just left it as it was running the stock ROM.  However, last night, the latest Verizon update bricked me and I somehow managed to revert to a backup that appears to be rooted/unlocked.  At least, RootChecker says I'm rooted and the bootloader claims to be unlocked when I boot to Fastboot.  Since this happened, I decided to try to flash a new ROM, but in the process I discovered that I still have Safestrap installed, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it (want to replace it with TWRP 2.6.3 to run a 4.3 ROM).  I can't find any XT907 compatible versions still hosted anywhere, and it's not in the Play Store anymore.

Anyone know where I can find what I need to scrub Safestrap?  I assume I just need the apk to reinstall, then uninstall, it.

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Being unlocked, you could FXZ back to stock... then flash twrp and be good to go :)... that will get rid of SS (which is not needed anyway if unlocked)...:) You can use RSDlite or Sam's House of Moto to FXZ ...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

"May the Schwartz be with you!!"
  • neckchop, SamuriHL, livinginkaos and 1 other like this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, working on it now.

then flash twrp and be good to go :)... that will get rid of SS (which is not needed anyway if unlocked)

Yeah, it's a remnant from my first root/unlock effort, when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.  I'm still pretty clueless (I just FXZ'd to 4.0.4 only to discover that it kills your root and since motochopper was made for 4.1.2, I've got to re-do all of that), but I'm trying to do a better job of it this time.

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

If you're unlocked and using twrp, stop using root exploits.  :)  Flash the supersu zip in TWRP and be happy.

• neckchop, johnthehillbilly and RikRong like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#5 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thought you needed to be rooted to flash a recovery.  The only method I can find that doesn't require root access is

, and it doesn't work for me.  With that said, I remembered the original root and ran that, but I'm still getting errors when I try to flash  twrp.  They're not related to twrp though - I'm getting "access denied" and "file not found" when I try to wipe the old recovery using

(specifically the manual Fastboot method, since the utility has an older version of twrp than the one I want).

#6 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

You do not need to be rooted to flash recovery.  They are completely separate things.  You do if you're trying to do it on the phone using a DD command (which a lot of "recovery installer" programs do).  But if you boot into AP Fastboot mode, and do:

fastboot flash recovery twrpfilenamegoeshere

it will flash it for you without root.

#7 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Just tried that, and holding down power and vol- just keeps it from rebooting rather than sending me to the bootloader selection screen.  It claims to have worked, but I can't get to the twrp bootscreen.

#8 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

If you're trying to get to recovery, you have to:

power off

hold volume up and volume down and then press power

volume down to recovery, volume up to select it

#9 coleam

coleam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Aha, not sure why that wasn't working earlier.  Thanks.

#10 jvasquezhhi

jvasquezhhi

Frankensteiner

• Developer
  • 330 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M (XT907) Retail (unlocked)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

next time just format data and that will erase everything in your phone except external sdcard.. and flash recovery following

and than flash the rom you wanted... no need to work with RSDlite or Sam's House of Moto to FXZ 

Cool-Timeline-Covers.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users