Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Good day,
I’m searching for a way to give back to this community for the good stuff I’ve learned. I keep seeing occasional battery life comments, so it struck me as a way to possibly help. I have 50 hour life on my Maxx and how I’m doing it may help some others. If so, great. If not, well I tried!

- I am running safestrap, .211 on Eclipse.
- I set up to be on 3G when I’m on data. I use 4G when I need to do major up/down. But find 3G meets most of my needs.
- I keep GPS off till I need it, but use Verizon/Google location services 100% of the time.
- I listen to lots of music. I download from google and spotify to listen offline, but listen on-line about half the time for hours at a time.
- I use Llama, instead of Smart Actions. It just works. When I’m home, I’m on wireless. When I leave I’m on data. I shut down the one I’m not using. All done by location and in the background.
- I use Llama to reboot in the middle of the night to keep things snappy and clean.
- Email updates are sent each hour. Weather alerts are on. News alerts are on for the services I use. I use Google reader to compile most of what I read.
- I spend about an hour on the phone each day. I watch Netflix and Slingbox from time to time. I use GPS and Nav about twice a week.
- Drop box photo upload automatic with each picture taken.
- I don’t tether too often, but the other day, I watch two hours of Netflix on my TV cause my home wireless was sucking.

I think those are the biggies. Happy to take questions. Like a said, I hope this helps someone.
  • Aliceics likes this

Proud father of a US Marine

#2 TauntingBull

TauntingBull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Very good write up....

#3 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

Very good points on saving battery, especially on using 3g when the extra boost isnt needed.

I also do the following:

1 Setcpu to set a screen off min-max of 300 mhz
2. Greenpower Premium to check my mail etc every hour for around 2 minutes. It keeps my connection off otherwise unless i'm actually using the phone.
3. I have the phone turn on airplane mode at 1am-7am (may not work for everyone but the only person id worry about calling me is in bed with me :)
4. I keep my screen brightness as low as I can while still keeping the screen readable.
5. Like you said, I keep gps off unless i need it on.

I average 50-60 hours, and i've got a screen on time as much as 11 hours.

Thanks for the tips.
  • pdumont1 likes this

#4 Nubia1

Nubia1

JUST A COOL OLD GUY WHO LIKES ANDROID

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,Ohio
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD/ OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I'm definetly looking in Llama. That seems like a great tool to use, although it seems like it's an in depth setup. It may be worth it. I'm already getting 48 hours of battery life on mine, but since Smart Actions isn't working well for me right now, I'm venturing over to Llama.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#6 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Dccoh - thanks for additional tips - I've got some more work to do!

HouseMD - Llama is really easy, and they include examples to help you get started. The key for me was to start off slow, learn, then grow. Massively helpful and you'll find it easy after a while. They also have website that is VERY helpful.

ALSO - I'm not an expert, but will happily tell you what I do and how, if needed.

#7 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have a Razr Maxx. I prefer not to worry about battery life and instead, use my phone to it's fullest extent. I have an HD Dock that I put my phone in every night, so every morning it is fully charged. That is almost always enough battery to get me through the day. Wnen driving, I usually have my phone in the car dock which is plugged into the cigarette lighter. I use Google Maps or Google Navigation and Pandora almost always when driving unless I'm using SlingPlayer. I frequently use the hotspot, but am never far from my wall charger if I need it. I just ordered a spare charger that I think I will keep in my car so I'll always have it wherever I go, just in case. I live in the Atlanta 4G area and the phone stays on 4G except when I am home it connects to my WIFI. I don't use Smart Actions. I have SetCPU installed, but just for monitoring.

#8 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

What are the events/conditions for your nightly reboot with llama?

#9 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

I took a pic of the screen. As you can see, while you don't have to be rooted for Llama, you do need some root for some of the features, like rebooting. I have the time set when I know I'll be up, and not likely using the phone. Versus, in the middle of the night where the sounds of rebooting might wake me.

Sorry for the size, it won't let me shrink it!

Posted Image

#10 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Cool thanks. That's the method I just used. Wasn't sure if you had a different way

#11 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

While on the topic of Llama, I just want to throw this out there. Llamma is passive. It monitors which cell towers you're using and figured out your location based on that rather than using GPS, which drains the hell out of your battery. I use it to quiet my phone while I'm at work. I have a profile that when I'm at home it turns wifi and bluetooth on, then I leave both get turned off and volume gets louder. Very useful that that doesn't drain battery because, again, it's passive.

#12 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm definetly looking in Llama. That seems like a great tool to use, although it seems like it's an in depth setup. It may be worth it. I'm already getting 48 hours of battery life on mine, but since Smart Actions isn't working well for me right now, I'm venturing over to Llama.

It's really not that difficult to set up, especially when you compare it to something like Tasker.

#13 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

It's really not that difficult to set up, especially when you compare it to something like Tasker.

AGREE. I tried tasker - I'm not that smart. Llama is to the point I forget I have it. It also allows backing up settings, so every time I flash a ROM, I TIBu my apps (no data), open Llama, restore settings, then continue to forget about it.

Another passive feature - every once in a while it will see a cell tower that is not consistent, for example one near my home. It allows me to IGNORE this tower, so I do not get false positives, etc. I look at the log once in a while to see if it behaved correctly and I don't recall any surprises of behavior that I didn't cause myself.

#14 TheBananaPeel

TheBananaPeel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Jesus... I'm happy if I can get my MAXX to last all day. I'll definitely look into these apps!

#15 Naw.D.Man

Naw.D.Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter:@nawdman

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Good day,
I’m searching for a way to give back to this community for the good stuff I’ve learned. I keep seeing occasional battery life comments, so it struck me as a way to possibly help. I have 50 hour life on my Maxx and how I’m doing it may help some others. If so, great. If not, well I tried!

- I am running safestrap, .211 on Eclipse.
- I set up to be on 3G when I’m on data. I use 4G when I need to do major up/down. But find 3G meets most of my needs.
- I keep GPS off till I need it, but use Verizon/Google location services 100% of the time.
- I listen to lots of music. I download from google and spotify to listen offline, but listen on-line about half the time for hours at a time.
- I use Llama, instead of Smart Actions. It just works. When I’m home, I’m on wireless. When I leave I’m on data. I shut down the one I’m not using. All done by location and in the background.
- I use Llama to reboot in the middle of the night to keep things snappy and clean.
- Email updates are sent each hour. Weather alerts are on. News alerts are on for the services I use. I use Google reader to compile most of what I read.
- I spend about an hour on the phone each day. I watch Netflix and Slingbox from time to time. I use GPS and Nav about twice a week.
- Drop box photo upload automatic with each picture taken.
- I don’t tether too often, but the other day, I watch two hours of Netflix on my TV cause my home wireless was sucking.

I think those are the biggies. Happy to take questions. Like a said, I hope this helps someone.

Very nice

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#16 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Very good points on saving battery, especially on using 3g when the extra boost isnt needed.

I also do the following:

1 Setcpu to set a screen off min-max of 300 mhz
2. Greenpower Premium to check my mail etc every hour for around 2 minutes. It keeps my connection off otherwise unless i'm actually using the phone.
3. I have the phone turn on airplane mode at 1am-7am (may not work for everyone but the only person id worry about calling me is in bed with me
4. I keep my screen brightness as low as I can while still keeping the screen readable.
5. Like you said, I keep gps off unless i need it on.

I average 50-60 hours, and i've got a screen on time as much as 11 hours.

Thanks for the tips.

All sounds good... except you cpu. Set it yo 600Mhz MAX and 300Mhz Min. Having it at 300 keeps the phone out of deep sleep, using more battery.
Sent from my XT912 with Tapatalk

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#17 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

All sounds good... except you cpu. Set it yo 600Mhz MAX and 300Mhz Min. Having it at 300 keeps the phone out of deep sleep, using more battery.
Sent from my XT912 with Tapatalk

I've been setting it to min-max 300mhz since day 1 (My HTC Incredible was set to 128 mhz) with no issues, this is something I havent heard before. Do you have a link to the info that says a low mhz keeps the phone from deep sleep? With an average of 50-60 hours, you are telling me i'd get much more than that? Hard to believe since I've used it heavily (in my terms) even with a 10+ hour screen on time.

Not saying you are wrong, but it goes against everything i've been doing for the last couple years, so just wanted some reading material before I change :) Thanks for the tip.

Update: I've had my phone and setcpu set to a screen off of 300 mhz for the last 6 hours. I just installed Cpu Spy from the market and it says i've been in Deep Sleep for 87% of that time.

#18 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

I use Data Enabler widget to turn my data off when I'm using Wi-Fi, saves me a ton of battery

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#19 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Im not understanding why you are going thru so much to get 2 days out of a battery on the maxx unless your in a remote area without power. When i go to sleep its to charge my batteries... i plug the phone in every night so it too is ready for whatever the next day brings. I have envy as my og razr has to be bump charged at least 2x a day with normal use it spends at least 3hrs on a charger during the day and all overnight .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#20 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

I wish I lived in a more urban area, my little valley town has awful signal which just kills my battery :/.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users