Photo

Droid Razr Utility 1.81 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr/maxx Only!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
546 replies to this topic

#401 sreehari

sreehari

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

no.... as stated in the OP..........it will only work on Verizon cdma razr and razr maxx ......

So, is there anyway to root a GSM razr maxx on ICS 4.04 ?

#402 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

So, is there anyway to root a GSM razr maxx on ICS 4.04 ?

the guys/girls over at XDA have a method for the GSM Razr.... but like with ALL rooting/hacking, do your "homework" read threads completely before starting..... this may be a good place for you to start

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

...... i hope this helps you out :)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#403 krm61403

krm61403

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I just wanted to root my phone to get superuser privledges and get rid of the bloatware. After downloading 1.81 on my Windows XP machine and following the directions, my phone is now back to the original out of the box configuration. I have all my contacts backed up, but all my applications are gone, and for some reason I still don't have superuser privledges. I have to do the device setup, re-connect to Verizon, download all my contacts, and then re-install all my apps. It looks like I'm farther back then when I started the process. What did I miss?

I didn't see step-by-step directions anywhere. I did options 1 and 2. Do I need to do all seven options? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update (8/31/12):
Thanks everyone, the problem is solved (with all of your help). Turns out, I did everything correctly, EXCEPT I needed to have the cable plugged into the PC instead of into a USB hub. That's all I needed to do.

#404 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I just wanted to root my phone to get superuser privledges and get rid of the bloatware. After downloading 1.81 on my Windows XP machine and following the directions, my phone is now back to the original out of the box configuration. I have all my contacts backed up, but all my applications are gone, and for some reason I still don't have superuser privledges. I have to do the device setup, re-connect to Verizon, download all my contacts, and then re-install all my apps. It looks like I'm farther back then when I started the process. What did I miss?

I didn't see step-by-step directions anywhere. I did options 1 and 2. Do I need to do all seven options? Any help is greatly appreciated.

God no, don't do all seven, Option 1 when done correctly will put the phone back to "out of the box" state, then if you set EVERYTHING correctly (see the ONSCREEN directions) when doing option 2 your phone should reboot 2 or 3 times during option 2 and when it finishes you should be rooted, not sure if its in the onscreen instructions but make sure "unknown sources" is checked under the security (I believe) menu, to ensure proper sideloading of superuser apps.

All you had to do to root was option 2, there was no reason to fastboot back just to root.
option 3 is ok to do, 4 and 5 are only if you run custom ROM's and even then you would only use Safestrap, not bootstrap 6 and 7 move you back and forth between the .211 and .214 kernels, if your having trouble with rooting I don't suggest you even touch these.
  • krm61403 likes this

#405 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Before doing option 2 makes sure USB Debugging is enabled and USB is set to anything but Mass Storage.

Sent from my Simplified Droid Razr

#406 cncrrddn

cncrrddn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

I have android version 4.0.4 and the original RAZR with verizon.

In the future when a new OTA update comes out...after I may or may not have flashed a rom...how should I go back to stock or protect root or do whatever it is I need to do to update and not softbrick my phone?

Last time I tried this I rooted and flashed fine...but ended up in softbrick hell after the OTA update came out.
Panicking and trying to fix my phone before the battery died...and failing.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

#407 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

I have android version 4.0.4 and the original RAZR with verizon.

In the future when a new OTA update comes out...after I may or may not have flashed a rom...how should I go back to stock or protect root or do whatever it is I need to do to update and not softbrick my phone?

Last time I tried this I rooted and flashed fine...but ended up in softbrick hell after the OTA update came out.
Panicking and trying to fix my phone before the battery died...and failing.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

if running a custom ROM, then you would option 1 to fastboot back to stock BEFORE downloading update, if your simply rooted, then use the voodoo OTA rootkeeper to protect root and TEMP UNROOT during the update.

#408 cncrrddn

cncrrddn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

So if I am flashed with a custom rom I could alternately:
Option 1 to fastboot back to stock
Option 2 to root
Option 3 voodoo's ota rootkeeper app
Use voodoo's ota rootkeeper app to temp unroot
.......?
Profit!

Is that correct?

#409 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

So if I am flashed with a custom rom I could alternately:
Option 2 to root
Use voodoo's ota rootkeeper app to temp unroot
.......?
Profit!

Is that correct?

Absolutely

EDIT: do the root and voodoo on unsafe side.
Posted Image

#410 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Absolutely

EDIT: do the root and voodoo on unsafe side.

Nitewolf, it would be on that "side" already if he had just fastbooted back, plus IIRC you can't install safestrap till your rooted.

#411 cncrrddn

cncrrddn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Currently I have done:
Option 2 = root
Option 3 = rootkeeper app (Which I don't know how to use. Can anyone provide a link?)
Option 5 = Safestrap (Which I also don't know how to use. Can anyone provide a link?)

Later I will possibly flash a ROM.

To do a future OTA update and root I would:
Option 2 to root
Apply voodoo's ota root keeping somehow (???)
Perform OTA update.
.......is this correct?

#412 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Currently I have done:
Option 2 = root
Option 3 = rootkeeper app (Which I don't know how to use. Can anyone provide a link?)
Option 5 = Safestrap (Which I also don't know how to use. Can anyone provide a link?)

Option 2 to root
Perform OTA update.
.......is this correct?

Voodoo OTA root keeper app is only good for protecting root thru an update/leak so you don't have to re root. Other than that it useless and is also free from the play store.

Sent from my Simplified Droid Razr

#413 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Currently I have done:
Option 2 = root

Option 2 to root
Perform OTA update.
.......is this correct?

there is a safestrap sticky right below this thread on the development page, it should be noted tho that there is now a safestrap 2.11 floating around out there that supports KEXEC ROM's, which without getting to technical are the FUTURE of RAZR ROM development, SS 2.11 is required to use a KEXEC rom like the alpha CM10 (Jelly Bean, not ICS) that is in development, so to eventually get the most out of your phone you will need SS 2.11.

To break it down as simple as possible on safestrap first install:
1. install app with this utility
2. open app on phone and click to install recovery
3. reboot phone, and hit the menu key (far left capacitive key) when the splash screen prompts you to
4. go to backup and restore, and create backup, sit back this takes a few minutes
5. toggle safe system, sit back this take s a few minutes (once toggled you MUST proceed to the remaining steps before rebooting or you WILL just end up with a black screen when trying to boot)
6. wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache, then under advanced, choose wipe dalvick cache, and under "mounts and storage" select "format /system"
7. from main menu choose install zip from sd card, external, pick the zip (that you copied to your microsd card earlier) let it install then reboot.

#414 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

A tip for people who already have safestrap on their phones and intend to upgrade to 2.11. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS flash safestrap on your stock (no safe) side this way it carriers over to you ROMs, especially your Kexec ROMs, like Jekyll :-)

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#415 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

A tip for people who already have safestrap on their phones and intend to upgrade to 2.11. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS flash safestrap on your stock (no safe) side this way it carriers over to you ROMs, especially your Kexec ROMs, like Jekyll :-)

So is it safe to go ahead and switch from 2.0 to 2.11 without wiping data or anything or would it still be recommended to fastboot back before doing the 2.11 safestrap? gotta get ready for a stable KEXEC JB ROM, I gotta hold off till the camera and bluetooth are solid before I use them.

Also what is the process to go from SS 2.0 to SS2.11? Like do you go into your stock side and open the app and unistall recovery then unistall the app then install SS 2.11 then open app and install recovery?

#416 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I just installed the 2.11 apk and installed the new recovery. It worked fine.

#417 zandersn

zandersn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Twitter:zandersn

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Rooted once again! :D Your Utility was simple to use and I thank you. Any recommendations on ROMs to try out?

I have been looking through the Forums and trying to figure out what the difference between using the "official Kernel" or the "leaked kernel" (Options 6&7). Can someone give some advice/info to a newbie? Thanks.

#418 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Rooted once again! :D Your Utility was simple to use and I thank you. Any recommendations on ROMs to try out?

I have been looking through the Forums and trying to figure out what the difference between using the "official Kernel" or the "leaked kernel" (Options 6&7). Can someone give some advice/info to a newbie? Thanks.

the different kernels have different radio basebands and other differences, personally I got 20-25% less battery life running .214 then .211

#419 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Nitewolf, it would be on that "side" already if he had just fastbooted back, plus IIRC you can't install safestrap till your rooted.

Yeah .. not sure what I was thinking with that edit. Call it an old guys brain fart and lack of sleep. :P
Posted Image

#420 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sounds good. And if you come up with any pointers / discoveries that we can add to the Read Me tutorial, it would be much appreciated. :-)

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

ok here's what i have come up with...... my results may differ from someone elses but if I can help at least one person, I've done my good deed for the day :).... I tested the Linux/Mac version with ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 32 bit..... with option 1,6, and 7 i was getting an error [./files/fastboot.linux: 3 ./files/fastboot.linux: Syntax error "(" unexpected] ...... after hours of poking around, trying several different edits to the program lines, i looked at obeygiant's post (on page 3 here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) and changed the file name of "fastboot.linux" to "fastboot.linux.bak" (instead of deleting it) then changed the file name of "fastboot-linux-i386" to "fastboot.linux"..... all 7 options of the utility worked flawlesslyafter that...... also, for the people that use virtualization to run windows, i have tested the utility(windows version) on both xp, and windows 7 ulitmate (using virtualbox for both), result--- all 7 options FLAWLESS!!! although using virtualbox made it a much slower process (for obvious reasons, virtulization is usually slower by nature)....... BIG THANKS TO OBEYGIANT, who indirectly reminded me that i should always try the simple, obvious methods first!!! ...... also during this testing, i found that the razr may be even stronger than we all realize :) thru the trial and error process, i flashed, restored, rooted, restored, flashed, etc probably 50 times and managed to softbrick twice.... the RAZR has stood the test and is working great!!!

forgot to mention that LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh works well by double clicking and selecting "run in terminal" AND by opening a terminal to manually enter the commands.....(ive had issues with some programs, they "like" one way and not the other)

i will also be posting this in the linux/mac fourm (that i linked)

Edited by johnthehillbilly, 02 September 2012 - 07:16 PM.

• mattlgroff likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users