• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Just a heads-up that they are making great progress with Google Now over at XDA. I originally saw

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

which led me to this

You'll want to read the tutorial but these are the steps that worked for me on Eclipse 1.2rc1:
1) Rename the GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk.bak
2) Download

and rename it to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
3) Copy the renamed file from step 2 to \system\app and set permissions to rw-r-r
4) Reboot

At this point you will have Google Now but the voice won't work. To fix this:
5) Download

from the Play Store

The play store app uses the embedded voice commands to search through Google Now. It's not quite the same because you have to press search again after speaking and the voice sounds robotic. Still it seems to work quite well.
  • IAmTheHuff likes this

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

thats pretty slick. Is Nitro behind this or did they just develop it to work in Eclipse?

Edit: Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought eclipse isn't built from ASOP source? I thought he takes the moto rom, strips the blur and replaces the apps with ASOP stuff. The thread on XDA says this only works on ROMs built from source.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#3 IAmTheHuff

IAmTheHuff

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Confirmed working on stock ICS build.

#4 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

thats pretty slick. Is Nitro behind this or did they just develop it to work in Eclipse?

Edit: Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought eclipse isn't built from ASOP source? I thought he takes the moto rom, strips the blur and replaces the apps with ASOP stuff. The thread on XDA says this only works on ROMs built from source.

It's supposed to work on any ICS Rom, including stock, as I can verify. You just have to do the install manually. If you are on an AOSP ROM, you can flash the zip file through recovery.

It's kinda neat, but not to where the true JB version is. It did pull my cards from where I already had Google Now set up on my xoom running JB.

#5 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

It's kinda neat, but not to where the true JB version is.

Agreed. I've been jonesing to try out now and this at least gives me a feel for it. It's really pretty smooth but this is by no means the stock experience from Google.

#6 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

I can't download the Voice from the Play Store, it only shows my Droid X as being able to download it.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#7 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I can't download the Voice from the Play Store, it only shows my Droid X as being able to download it.

I just scanned the UPC image from my phone and it took me to the Play Store website and it let me install it from there.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#8 shetm

shetm

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

confirmed working on Arctic 214

#9 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Working on iKream though it's not quite what I expected. Is this suppose to be the answer to Siri?

Edit: it really doesn't give me any information. I'm not sure that it's actually working But it will launch. Voice is not very well integrated. Assistant app seems better so far unless rom is causing issues.

#10 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Working on iKream though it's not quite what I expected. Is this suppose to be the answer to Siri?

That will be Majeel which has been in works since before Siri. Even calling it the "answer to" a feature that most agree is a useless gimmick is kind if insulting to the devs that have been working on it though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#11 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Eclipse is built from Nitro's own custom source last I checked.

#12 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Any users out there that have used the stock Google Now and can compare it to this?

Is the speech recognition any better? It seems to be quite good but I assume it would be a little better without this hackjob...
Are there any other issues that make this different from stock? I'm aware of the voice being the one that is included in the newest navigation app - which is great. Also you obviously don't have to hit search again. Anything else?

#13 cconcepts

cconcepts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Confirmed working on infektion axiom.....but it only puts what you say in the search box....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

#14 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Any users out there that have used the stock Google Now and can compare it to this?

Is the speech recognition any better? It seems to be quite good but I assume it would be a little better without this hackjob...
Are there any other issues that make this different from stock? I'm aware of the voice being the one that is included in the newest navigation app - which is great. Also you obviously don't have to hit search again. Anything else?

From my experience on my xoom with JB, a question is much more likely to be answered with the appropriate card than it is to be just thrown into a google search box.

#15 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

That will be Majeel which has been in works since before Siri. Even calling it the "answer to" a feature that most agree is a useless gimmick is kind if insulting to the devs that have been working on it though.

Majel (named after Majel Roddenberry) had its name changed a long time ago. And if you check other forums this is generally assumed to be the new Siri. I have to disagree of course and hate that they changed the original project name.

Anyone getting cards to pop up? All I have is the weather from an old search.

#16 bamakore

bamakore

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:bamakore
  • Google+:bamakore
  • LocationHartselle,Alabama

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yes I get cards but you need to make sure latitude is set up and such and your home address and work address is put into maps then give it a couple of days to gather data on you

oh and I'm on the 215 stock leak and the 214 leaked kernel as it saves the battery on my Maxx the best

#17 gvfd65

gvfd65

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWarren County, PA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

It is a little buggy and laggy but it is originally made for JB.

#18 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

Was going to try this, but it seems the link to the play store is no longer valid.

#19 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Was going to try this, but it seems the link to the play store is no longer valid.

I flashed Eclipse last night and will be trying this tonight...but you can get the voice command apk from the xda thread

#20 CLoft2620

CLoft2620

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

It's fully functional now. Just installed it today, it's niiiice.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users