The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Don't take the download...Until everything is cleared here on the Forum...Possibility of losing Root...Means you will never get it back....Maybe
  • neckchop, Memnoch73 and johnthehillbilly like this

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Indeed bubba.... That is a very real possibility...... Look what has happened to the HD and the M with the ota ..... .....
  • Memnoch73 and The Persuader like this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Someone should check the security on the update once the OTA zip is grabbed.  See if it's possible to downgrade from it.  Unlikely as all hell but it's at least good to look.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#5 vic2497

vic2497

normal droid person

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

The update for the 2012 RAZRs (HD versions) got screwed by the newest update -__- lots of bugs and only 200 MB of RAM ONLY!

#6 aivral88

aivral88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNH
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy SIII

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Well, doesn't look like anything too exciting guys, at least from this changelog.  Hopefully they aren't breaking root/safestrap, etc in the background as persuader said...

According to Motorola's support page, the 98.72.165.XT912.Verizon.en.US update changes only two things: it fixes a bug that could cause the data roaming warning to appear when it shouldn't have, and another bug that caused connectivity issues when roaming on the Telus network in Canada. 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

The question is, does it do anything else?

Motorola's page uses the words: "After installing the software update you will notice some bug fixes, including: [the two listed bug fixes]." I don't know if that is the way they always word their updates, or if there are are other changes (bug fixes, or security things, etc) that they don't think people will (or should) notice. since I haven't experienced either of the listed problems, I'd hesitate to install this until one of the "smart people" here tell us what it *really* does.

#8 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

We were warned about this update "a while ago" ...... There is a very real chance of it "updating" more than what it says............ My recommendation to EVERYONE, disable your updater (via TiBu or similar app) ...... Just so you don't "accidentally" take the update as we have seen people do in the past......

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

The update needs to be looked at.  First thing is whether it ups the security or not.  If it doesn't, then no big deal as you'd be able to downgrade.  If it ups the security, then it's a whole new game.  Some brave soul is going to have to try the known root exploit and see if it works.  If it doesn't, then it won't be a "safe" OTA to take as there is almost zero chance of anyone bothering to look for a new root exploit on these OMAP phones.  I would be cautious.  New and exciting as it may be, there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit to taking it right away.  My bet is on a patch for the master key exploit as the real cause for these updates.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#10 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The question is, does it do anything else?
Motorola's page uses the words: "After installing the software update you will notice some bug fixes, including: [the two listed bug fixes]." I don't know if that is the way they always word their updates, or if there are are other changes (bug fixes, or security things, etc) that they don't think people will (or should) notice. since I haven't experienced either of the listed problems, I'd hesitate to install this until one of the "smart people" here tell us what it *really* does.

:D
What's the purpose of Updating a 2 Year Old Phone...It's about removing the Benefits of trying New ROMs on Our Dinosaur Phones... (Removal of Root)

They want us to pay more rather then play...

My point of view...
Verizon CEO's and Multi Layers will be fine...You know what I mean...

Think about:
Doesn't make any sense to Update these phones other than to Annihilate the Amenities of choice trying New ROMs on Our Relic phones or any Choice of Phone for that matter

:-) Imo :-)

Its Bubba
"Stubborn In Your Bones"

#11 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

I will be the guinea pig for you guys. I've already received my N5 and no longer use my XT912 except to send a few text messages.

I intend to use root keeper to see if the update somehow cleanses out the su binary. Additionally, I will get rid of root and see if the current root method applies to the new update. Anything else you guys want me to test pre and post update?

Cheers

• neckchop likes this

#12 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Punk Wow!!! Taking one for the GIPPER Its Bubba "Stubborn In Your Bones"
  • johnthehillbilly likes this

#13 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'll be doing the same for the Bionic when they get that update out.  Probably while I'm gone next week.  (It's an inside joke).

• B.E.McAllister likes this

#14 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Does anyone know when the update is suppose to roll around? Not sure if I can still receive OTA's after the 11th (my contract officially ends with Verizon).

#15 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

It shouldn't matter.  Besides, once the update is pushed you'll be able to find a download to sideload it anyway, so, it's not overly relevant if you can get OTA's or not.  (AFAIK you can since they aren't dependent upon service)

#16 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Totally an "Out Of The Box" question concerning the OTA:

* Maybe they are practicing on these Old Phones as a experimental Assignment...these Older Phones are going away sooner than later...

• If we are Stock (Rooted) and (Not in Custom Slots Side) what are the chances of creating an OTA (Root Access) to Nullify Root on Our Phone...even if we don't take the OTA
  • Back Dooring Access to Custom ROMs and Safestrap to Blow up
  • Especially the 2 year Clunkers so, they know how to Block Future Phone Root Access with the Newer Phones...

Is this to Bazar of a thought

#17 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

It shouldn't matter.  Besides, once the update is pushed you'll be able to find a download to sideload it anyway, so, it's not overly relevant if you can get OTA's or not.  (AFAIK you can since they aren't dependent upon service)

Via WiFi to access...Still getting Updates on my Droid X with the Miui ROM and Still Updating my Apps as of today to boot

#18 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

If you've watched modern phones you know Google is already on top of killing SS and root with every update.  Not enough people understand what an "exploit" means in real terms.  They simply know it allows them to have root.  Well, it's not that simple.  Exploits in the Linux kernel allow for privilege escalation.  This in turn allows write access to the system partition which then allows you to add the su binary and give it the proper permissions to run as root.  Those exploits are found and patched constantly in a cat and mouse game (one I exited from by getting an unlocked phone).  So you can be fairly sure that Moto took the time to patch the kernel bugs that the last root exploits took advantage of.  But all is not necessarily lost.  We just have to wait and see.  As for blocking SS....that uses a "hijack" method to inject itself in the kernel bootup process.  It's possible they'll break the code that's being hooked by SS to hijack the bootup process.  They've been actively doing so with the S4's SS hijack method.  (Knox is a much bigger pain in the ass than even SE Linux, although that's not helping either).  On such old phones as the OMAP based devices, it's unlikely that they'd put a lot of time and effort into such things....at least intentionally.  They probably blocked the known root exploits, but, I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to do much else.  As for root...we'll have to see what happens.  No one's going to bother looking for a new exploit if the old ones are patched, but, that doesn't mean all hope is necessarily lost.

• Memnoch73 and The Persuader like this

#19 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

SamurHl--

Kinda makes you wonder when your Downloading Google Apps that's another way to Implement a Root/Safestrap/Update Extraction...

#20 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

I doubt they'd put much effort into breaking Safestrap.  Plug the holes for root and Safestrap isn't possible.  Why bother?  The end result will be the same whether they killed Safestrap or not.  No Safestap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users