17 replies to this topic

#1 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

can anyone help me here....i wanna know it all....i would love to become one of you brilliant developers...but just dont know where to start my journey....as much help and advice would be much appreciated....can someone please get me started here....THANK YOU!!!

#2 DCarrollUSMC

DCarrollUSMC

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBloomington, Illinois

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, I'm not an android developer yet, per se, but I can give you a few pointers. First, it really depends on what you plan on developing to pick the right tools. There are a few that are essential no matter what you are trying to do, though.

First, do you have any programming experience? That will certainly help you out. These are not in any particular order. I don't have much time right now to really build a full guide, but I'm sure with some intuition you can figure it out.

Eclipse IDE (Development Environment, not necessary, but definitely a must if you plan on doing any coding.)
Download Link:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(Eclipse Classic 4.2 is sufficient)

7zip (This is a utility that you can use to browse the archives of an .apk without decompiling. This is a great utility, especially for themers that are just replacing .png files.)
Download Link:

Android SDK (Rather than explaining, this one I'll just give you a link:

)

Android Kitchen by Dsixda (This is a great tool for learning how to build a ROM, especially good at working off of someone else's base.
Link:

)

APKTool, APK Manager, or APK Multi-Tool (Essentially, they all do much the same thing. Good for compiling/decompiling apk's.
Download Link:

Informational Link:

HashCalc (This tool is essentially a md5 sumchecker)
Download Link:

I can try and expand on this list in time. Also, I'm sure some other devs will be more than willing to give you advice. If you have any other questions regarding downloads, installation, or use, just ask here or hop in the chat, I'm in there pretty often, as are many other devs.

Edited to include download/informational links.

Edited by DCarrollUSMC, 24 July 2012 - 07:30 AM.

• lightsword likes this
Posted Image

#3 DCarrollUSMC

DCarrollUSMC

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

P.S. This post should probably be located in the Droid Razr Development forum, if a mod would like to move it there.
Posted Image

#4 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

no offense but i think i need some one on one guidance here lol....

#5 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

Im no dev or in a position to help but I would start by setting up a linux box with ubuntu or some other linux distro with at least a quad core and 4gig ram (more the better). You could dual boot with windows or use a virtual box but I found it better to have a dedicated PC.

I did this for Gummy rom a while back and setup and synced repo so I can theme from source and compile the rom myself. No dev work just themed the rom before compiling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#6 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

yea all that just confused the hell outta me lol...thats what i mean, i need some serious help here, it dont take long at all for me to catch on but obviously there is so so much im lost on....anyways, i just need somewhere to start simple and work my way up...i need someone willing to take a little time here and there to get me up to date...idk

#7 GoBears

GoBears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

I wanted to start myself but I just don't have the temperament to deal with complaining people. Especially for something I'd be doing for free. I tip my hat to all devs past, current and future for all the time and effort they put forth. I wish you luck on your "Dev" journey!

GoBears
"Remember, friends don't let friends use IOS."

#8 DCarrollUSMC

DCarrollUSMC

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Well I guess my suggestion to you (blue) would be to go to each of the links that I posted above and read about each utility. You really can't just say "I want to be a dev...help" and expect people to be able to help you out. We need to know what your intentions are with android development to give you tips and information. Do you want to theme a ROM? Do you want to build you own custom ROM? Do you want to develop android applications? Want to put them in the play store? Each of these previous questions is a different 'field' of development, and each requires different tools and such. I understand you are really new, so you don't have a lot of information. At this point, it's really about reading as much as you can, and asking as many questions as possible to gain some insight. I suggest hopping in the chat sometimes and asking questions if there's something you want to do. If you have something in specific you want to do, I can try and help you out in more detail if you can give me a direction.
Posted Image

#9 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

wow....i didnt realize they were different fields...see, right there is something i had not a clue about....like i said, i want to know it all and obviously i know it will take alot of time....i guess i want to start on building a ROM...but im sure it would be smarter to start of someone elses base like you said. The problem is, all them links you provided me....i dont even understand the "lingo" if that makes any sense, all the terms, the abbreviations and what not...sorry im sounding like a major noob and probly asking some dumb questions huh...im a fast learner and i catch on quick but some of those links arent really telling me much....i need someone to actually explain certain things, ya know ? And i know theres probly no one out there willing to deal with a noob like me lol....But all in all, im into android 100% and ever since i got my MAXX and found these forums, ive been hooked and want to know more and more...i know android development is a constant growing field and i would love to be a part of it....with anyones possible help, you seem like you know everything i want to learn...i dont expect you to take the time to teach me anything but any time you have at all to throw me a few pointers and more....i would really appreciate it...thanks man!.....if this was XDA, i would hit the thanks button a few times!

#10 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Its really simple. Read the threads on how to do whatever task you want, jump on chat throughout the day for any extra guidance (im usually on 8-5 weekdays), and trial and error. Im a new dev just theming, but i asked questions to mods and other devs, jumped on chat a lot, and finally took the time to do what i wanted.

Btw guys, im not dead, just on vacation. :P i come home tomorrow :(

Sent from my Razr Maxx, just because I wanted this title on tapatalk.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#11 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

i keep hopping in the chat and as soon as i get in...theres a message at the top sayin you have been kicked from the chat room....why is this? i havent done anything wrong or anything at all....?

#12 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Disable pop up blocker. It opens as a pop up. If it sends you to the chat inside the browser, click Chat again.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#13 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Btw guys, im not dead, just on vacation. :P i come home tomorrow :(

How dare you. Who approved this....Vacation? :P
  • lightsword likes this

#14 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

How dare you. Who approved this....Vacation?

I heard "Andy" himself approved it :)

#15 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

How dare you. Who approved this....Vacation?

I heard "Andy" himself approved it

Thats why i havent been around this week. No wifi at the hotel either. My maxx has been having 13-16hrs days. 0_o. Didnt know i needed your approval 24v :P :D

Posted Image

#16 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Oh, you didn't know that all the mods/devs have to vote on any vacation? You might want to refer to your employee handbook. I think that unapproved vacation is definitely grounds for removal of vacation pay benefits.

#17 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

That's fine. My next vacation is next year so when it comes to renewing my terms and conditions ill just get vaca pay back :P

Posted Image

#18 blueizee

blueizee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

hey HOUSE...i tried disabling my pop up blocker and im still getting that message saying i was kicked...whats goin on here, and sorry i busted in on ya'lls vaca discussion lol j/k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users