#1 slonison

slonison

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):x907

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Just to start off, I know a decent deal about computers software and programming. Built several computers and played with windows and Linux. Just setting the tone.

Anyway, here's what I did.
I have the Motorola Razr M and it was on the latest software update.

Decided to try to root.
I rooted via the method by which you
1. Install drivers
2. Download package
2b. Connect as USB
3. Run install.bat
Blah blah blah

It went well an I was able to install titanium backup and run it (granting supersu) and such. I installed safestrap and it was all downhill from there.

I was able to reboot several times and boot into the stock OS with no problems. First thing I did was create a backup of the stock and store it on the external SD. Then:
Created rom1 slot
Did the wipe thing of rom slot 1
Tried to install OSE 12/08 and got status 6 error
Tried to install CM11 1/09 and got status 6 error
Decided maybe rebooting would help after researching as much as I could.
Downloaded CM11 build 1/10 ACCIDENTALLY clicke install over the stock rom. Got a failure of status 7 but by then I realized my mistake.

I then tried to restore the backup (successful but took all of 1/2 second to success)

- Rebooted and it went straight to android triage screen and stayed there.
- Hard rebooted with volume controls and did a factory reset, (I still get this full menu) but after rebooting it still hangs at the android triage screen.
- it seems like I may be able to do something becaus I have the option to apply update via adb or via external sd.

Did I ruin the phone or is there still hope? (I don't care about anything on it.)

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

You just need to flash the fxz and start over.

Sent From My DEV X

• johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 slonison

slonison

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

You just need to flash the fxz and start over.

Sent From My DEV X

Living in chaos, you the man. Thanks for the prompt response AND the good news.

Gonna need some help though as I have no idea what that means? And I only have temporary access to Internet each day.
  • neckchop likes this

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

First advice- don't do anything until you've read enough to understand the process and what possible errors you might incur. Go to The house of Moto thread and read the instructions and the thread. When you are ready, go to

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and download the needed file and proceed.

Sent From My DEV X

• neckchop and johnthehillbilly like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Kaos hit it on the head, but I'll add $.02.  First off, none of those ROMs you tried to install are compatible with SafeStrap.  Second, since you tried to install a ROM over your stock slot, you effectively wiped out SS, that's why you need to FXZ to recovery.

• neckchop likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#6 slonison

slonison

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

So... Status update
Many thanks to both of you. After some trial and error ( I nailed the folder setup on the first try, tried to use ap fastboot but it didn't work, rsd lite method worked first try.)

So the phone is operational again.

We'll that something interesting to learn. I didn't know they weren't compatible with safestrap. Thank for letting me know that. I wouldn't have known.

As of right now, I'm consequently too scared to try any rooting and flashing any time soon. But I would like to continue to learn. Is there somewhere I can learn about what Roms are compatible with safestrap? I know my phone is too late for unlocking due to having the latest OTA but I would still like to understand my options.

Oh and btw, I have no clue how to reasonably free up enough onboard memory in the Razr M to create a second rom slot without deleting essentially everything on the phone...

#7 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid razer m DOA :( New phone Samsung note 3 :)

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

You just have to look for 4.1.2 based roms. For me being rooted far outweighs being able to flash roms. Flashing customs roms is cool and gives your phone a new feel but all the custom roms arent worth a damn without root.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users