Photo

Used HD Maxx, BL unlocked. How to "start from scratch"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA
  • Current Device(s):XT926 Razr Maxx HD, Xoom, Nexus 7 (car install)

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I recently purchased a xt926 with an unlocked BL and running twrp and liquid smooth. My question is, how do I go about completely wiping this device and start from scratch/stock? Would I : FXZ to latest firmware using RSD Flash TWRP in fastboot Flash a "root.zip" in twrp Make backup of stock Then flash whatever ROM in twrp later? Will the BL unlock be affected in any way? The last unlocked BL device I ever owned was an OG droid and my Xoom, so it's been a while. Edit: or is there no point in doing any of the above, lol. (Just wipe and flash new ROM) Thanks! Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2

#2 neckchop

neckchop

pluh!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Locationatlantic City
  • Current Device(s):razr HD, razr m, note 10.1

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Learning how to do all that stuff would definitely be a good idea, but if you're in the latest twrp, and you're boot loader unlocked, I would just download the ROM you want, wipe and flash. I've been boot loader unlocked for so long, that I don't think i even have a stock backup anymore, because I can't remember the last time I used it. I ha e a couple backups of ROMs that I like that are stable, and if I run into issues I flash back to one of those. I keep a superuser zip to flash through recovery in case I mess up, but that's about it. Congrats on the new phone, and happy flashing man.
  • pistacio likes this

#3 neckchop

neckchop

pluh!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Locationatlantic City
  • Current Device(s):razr HD, razr m, note 10.1

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Oh, boot loader won't be relocked, so no worries on that front. I don't think it is even possible to relock it at this point. At most, you may need to reflash a recovery at some point. But that's not too bad :-)

#4 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thank you for the insight. Just trying to get a heads-up since it will be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I've been reading up all over the forums to wrap my head around the "unlocked" way of doing things.

So flashing a new ROM (non SS built ROM) also flashes kernel with it, correct (since I'm BL unlocked)?
I'm still stuck in the safestrap state of mind, thinking that I need the latest stock kernel in place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2
  • neckchop likes this

#5 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

With an unlocked bootloader we are able to replace the Moto recovery with TWRP or CWM, most here use TWRP. Safestrap is not really a Recovery. But yes, rom and kernel are flashed all together. Lots of ROMS for unlocked bootloaders in the thread.

• neckchop and RikRong like this

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

If you do decide to FXZ back to stock, I would do it with House of Moto.  Lately, it seems that RSD has caused nothing but issues.  Also, like Chop said, I would just find a stock ROM and flash it in recovery.  Personally, I prefer Mhous' DST builds:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.  When I want a clean start, I wipe everything, including formatting data.  FDR first, mount system, wipe date/system/cache/dalvik, then format data.  This will effectively eliminate every bit of remaining data from the previous user (well, it should anyway).

• neckchop and pistacio like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#7 karthakon

karthakon

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr M

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

The only real reason to go back to stock is to get the latest baseband/radio. If you look around someone may have uploaded a flushable zip so you don't have to go all the way back to stock. Also you will want to be on stock to get the official kit Kat ota when it drops. (Although I'd let someone else try that out in case they figure out how to relock the boatloader)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#8 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

One thing is for sure, I will NEVER accept an OTA, lol. I'd rather wait for a pre-rooted stock build of KK.

Wiping all in TWRP is good enough for me.

I think I'm on an older baseband, running eclipse (my go-to ROM on my previous devices). Haven't noticed any real issues:

60.46KB   20 downloads
  • neckchop and RikRong like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users