• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

For those of us feeding a crackflashing habbit, there has to be an easier way to go about setting up our devices how we want them. One thing in particular is converting an apk to a system app. This could be as simple as using adb commands to push an apk to system\app, but I would like to make this even easier. There are some things to take into consideration, like removing the system app that you are replacing. Is there a more seasoned developer that can assist me in writing a batch file or a flashable zip to do this?

#2 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Not sure... but maybe this will help ...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have no issue in performing the task of converting the apk to system app. Its just tedious. I want to learn how to write a script to automate the process instead of doing so manually per individually through another app.

#4 kbuck13

kbuck13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have used TB to change Notification Toggles to a system app, just hold down on the app icon and near the bottom of the menu that pops up is an option to convert to system app or to revert back.

#5 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Easy. Just download one of the mods... 1%battery mod for reference then pull it apart and check out the updater script. You're not gonna wanna use a ROM due to the fact that during the process of flashing a ROM a lot of times the /system is wiped.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#6 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

I mean, there are several ways to do this. Using Titanium Backup is probably the easiest way to do it. You just browse to the App and long press it, then select "Convert to System App" I wouldn't say that's very tedious.

Another way to do it would be with ES file explorer or Root Explorer. Browse to /data/app/ and find your app, then long press it and select "Move to". Then place it in /system/app/. Then Change it's permissions to to User Read Write, Group Read, Other Read or "rw-r--r--".

The 3rd way would be with ADB. If you have the app on your computer already you would do:

If it's not on your computer but installed as a user app. You would first need to know what the file name is. Often the file name isn't exactly the same as the apps display name. For example Es File Explorer's file name is com.estrongs.android.pop. But, let's assume you know the name of your app. So we have

If you really need this in a batch file, I could make it. But it's more work to run a batch file than it is to use TiBu or Root Explorer.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

For those of us feeding a crackflashing habbit, there has to be an easier way to go about setting up our devices how we want them. One thing in particular is converting an apk to a system app. This could be as simple as using adb commands to push an apk to system\app, but I would like to make this even easier. There are some things to take into consideration, like removing the system app that you are replacing. Is there a more seasoned developer that can assist me in writing a batch file or a flashable zip to do this?

Here, I made this today. Might help you.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#8 jpmoo

jpmoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Any benefit to converting a launcher to a system app?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

One thing I can think of is if you do a data wipe/ factory rest, you won't lose it. I believe system apps are allotted more processor power or take some kind of precedent over user apps. I don't know the details.

#10 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

There's nothing that makes a "system" app special. Like Tucstwo alluded to, system apps simply cannot be uninstalled/removed without root.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users