21 replies to this topic

#1 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm running .215 rooted and I want to return the phone back to stock. Problem is I can't access Boot Loader, no matter what I try. It's like it's not there anymore (I know it HAS to still be there, but . . .) when I command the phone into it using either the Quick Boot app, adb shell, or the built-in menu, the phone just power cycles off.

Two Questions:

(1) Anyone know of this happening? My guess is since my phone starts and functions normally otherwise, the boot loader is still there in some form. I just can't seem to access the the "device/battery OK, device disconnected/OK to program" menu

(2) Knowing this phone is going to be turned back in, is there any other way I could re-install .211 without having access to the bootloader screen?

What Happens:
  • I have Quick Boot installed and I can use it to boot into recovery without a problem. If I try to boot into Boot Loader, the phones powers off and stays off.
  • I've tried adb shell with the same results. I can connect to my PC and command the phone using shell commands but usin the 'adb reboot bootloader' command results in the same thing: phone power cycles off and stays off.
  • Even though my power button is AFU, I figured out I can still access the main recovery menu (the vol down to choose, vol up to select one) by holding down the vol up/down and plugging the phone into a charger. Same thing: power cycles off and stays off.

* Funny thing is although my power button doesn't work, I can still soft reset the phone by holding the power button in and vol down - which is what I need to do to exit recovery or other menus I need to input to a prompt using the power button.

#2 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

* Funny thing is although my power button doesn't work, I can still soft reset the phone by holding the power button in and vol down - which is what I need to do to exit recovery or other menus I need to input to a prompt using the power button.

But you just said that you can't use your power button. If you can use it to soft reset, why can't you use it to get to AP Fastboot by holding down the power button and both vol buttons?

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#3 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

But you just said that you can't use your power button. If you can use it to soft reset, why can't you use it to get to AP Fastboot by holding down the power button and both vol buttons?

Well, that's why it's funny. The power button doesn't work under any other situation: I can't wake the phone up with it, can't acknowledge a menu item with it, etc. If I power the phone off using quick boot, I usually have to plug it into a wall charger to restart it. That said, if I hold down vol - and power at the same time, it'll soft reset . . . almost like long pressing vol - is what's causing the soft reset.

Regardless, I can finagle my way to the 'Boot Mode Selection Menu (0A.74) usually by holding down both volume keys and plugging in. Once there, I can vol - to the 'AP Fastboot' option, vol + to select and my phone just power cycles down and goes cold. That really what I'm trying to get around. Why can't I see the programming menu?

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Are you trying to restore to .215 or to stock .211? Why don't you try a factory reset in the system settings, privacy setting. Maybe that will fix your bootloader issue

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Are you trying to restore to .215 or to stock .211? Why don't you try a factory reset in the system settings, privacy setting. Maybe that will fix your bootloader issue

Tried a factory reset from the settings menu like you described. The 'lack of bootloader programing menu' problem still persists.

So, getting right down to it, the reason why I'm killing myself trying to figure this out is my warranty replacement arrived today and I'm really after restoring the device back to stock before sending it in. Is there something I can do, even with a custom recovery that will get me back to .211 without needing to access the bootloader menu?

#6 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Tried a factory reset from the settings menu like you described. The 'lack of bootloader programing menu' problem still persists. So, getting right down to it, the reason why I'm killing myself trying to figure this out is my warranty replacement arrived today and I'm really after restoring the device back to stock before sending it in. Is there something I can do, even with a custom recovery that will get me back to .211 without needing to access the bootloader menu?

If you can get into AP Fastboot Mode, (not the bootloader) then you can use Matts 1.81 Utility to fastboot back to a fresh .211 install.

Other than being in fastboot mode, there is no other way to fastboot or use RSD Lite.

#7 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

If you can get into AP Fastboot Mode, (not the bootloader) then you can use Matts 1.81 Utility to fastboot back to a fresh .211 install.

Other than being in fastboot mode, there is no other way to fastboot or use RSD Lite.

And getting back to fastboot mode is exactly what I can't do. :(

Since I've been on a RAZR, I haven't messed with any custom recoveries. Something like installing CWM Touch won't help me in any way? Is there a nandroid (hope I got that right) of .211 I could install from that?

#8 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

And getting back to fastboot mode is exactly what I can't do. :(

Since I've been on a RAZR, I haven't messed with any custom recoveries. Something like installing CWM Touch won't help me in any way? Is there a nandroid (hope I got that right) of .211 I could install from that?

What all are you able to do? Can you get into stock moto recovery? You also said that you haven't messed around with any custom recoveries, yet in your post, you said you use Quick Boot to boot into recovery? Which recovery are you booting into?

Try this, with the phone off.

Press and hold the power button and volume down button at the same time. After about 9 seconds, the screen will flicker. When it does, release the power button but continue to hold down the volume down button. Let me know if that boots you into AP Fastboot Mode. If it's any easier, you can hop into the chat room and I could more easily assist you.
  • jeff_roey likes this

#9 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like your power button is stuck in an "always pressed" state. I recreated your issue by holding my power button in the bootloader menu then selecting AP Fastboot. Nothing but a black screen until I released the power button, then it came right up. Thats why you can do a reset with vol-.

Short of opening it up and unsticking the button, I dont have any other ideas. Hope this helps!
  • jeff_roey likes this

#10 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Sounds like your power button is stuck in an "always pressed" state. I recreated your issue by holding my power button in the bootloader menu then selecting AP Fastboot. Nothing but a black screen until I released the power button, then it came right up. Thats why you can do a reset with vol-.

Short of opening it up and unsticking the button, I dont have any other ideas. Hope this helps!

Wow, Great observation. I hadn't thought of an 'always on' being the problem. This gives me a little something to work with . . .

#11 powerdan74

powerdan74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Ridgeville, OH

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

You could try to use a thin but firm piece of paper and slide it along the front and back of the power button and see if that will pop it out.

#12 jeff_roey

jeff_roey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I t seems I'm dealing with exactly what jcamel suggested: my power button seems to be in the stuck on position. I can power the device down using Quick Boot, and soft reset by holding the vol- button down alone. After that, the phone will just reboot on its own - confirms the 'button always on' suggestion above.

The button clicks pretty cleanly so it's not 'stuck in' so to speak. I tried running paper in and around the button but it didn't seem to help.

#13 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Time to head over to VZW for a replacement, I'd say. The fact that you're rooted didn't break your power button. Don't let them give you any $!#7 about being given a replacement.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#14 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Isn't there a way to put your phone into AP Fastboot with it on from a computer?

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Isn't there a way to put your phone into AP Fastboot with it on from a computer?

Actually YES. DuH! Why didn't I think of that. Get to a computer with Android SDK (or have ADB/Fastboot installed at a minimum...plug in. Then from command prompt run:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

And your phone should boot into AP Fastboot mode. From there you can manually flash the partitions or run Matts utility or RSD. Whichever you like.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#16 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Read the OP. He already tried adb. Still wont work unless the power button is unstuck

#17 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Take the phone apart. That's about your only option at this point.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#18 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Read the OP. He already tried adb. Still wont work unless the power button is unstuck

He tried adb reboot-bootloader but did he try fastboot reboot-bootloader? The fastboot command works on my phone, for some reason, the adb one does not.

#19 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I dont think it will matter. The thing is, he IS getting to AP fastboot, in a way, but his power button being stuck will not let it finish.

When i went to bl and held in power button, used vol- to select ap then vol+ to enter, the screen went blank. It stayed blank as long as i held the power button (15 sec). But as soon as i let go of power, it was in AP fastboot mode.

So no matter the command, ap fastboot will do nothing with a stuck power button.

#20 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I dont think it will matter. The thing is, he IS getting to AP fastboot, in a way, but his power button being stuck will not let it finish.

When i went to bl and held in power button, used vol- to select ap then vol+ to enter, the screen went blank. It stayed blank as long as i held the power button (15 sec). But as soon as i let go of power, it was in AP fastboot mode.

So no matter the command, ap fastboot will do nothing with a stuck power button.
  • jcamel24 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users