22 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremymshores

Jeremymshores

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I know we have a snow balls chance in hell convincing who ever you like to blame, to unlock the bootloader. Most don't care now that a bypass is so close. If you have a compelling argument that you believe Motorola and Verizon need to hear, how about visiting

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Looks like people are making some really good points, add your own comment. I can only hope that even if we can get a work around, that we won't need one in the future.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

EVERYBODY cares that a bypass is so close. As of 8/7/12 7:29 PM EDT, at least 154 people are ecstatic about the idea. See

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#3 Jeremymshores

Jeremymshores

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Maybe I accidently a word, how about "most people don't care about waiting on motorola/verizon, now that we're so close with out them"? There is also the likely possibility that I misunderstood your reply. If so I apologize.

#4 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure but trust me, everyone around here is stoked about Kexec and couldn't care less if Moto ever unlocks it if we can successfully bypass it.
  • PillClinton, biggiesmalls657 and HouseMD like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#5 cdavid469

cdavid469

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

I still care in principal, because an unlocked bootloader is still more efficient than a bypassed one
  • PillClinton and lightsword like this

#6 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I still care in principal, because an unlocked bootloader is still more efficient than a bypassed one

Of course but when you're counting on hand outs from Motorola, I'm happy with whatever I can get.
  • biggiesmalls657 likes this

#7 biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Google+:biggiesmalls657@gmail.com
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Of course but when you're counting on hand outs from Motorola, I'm happy with whatever I can get.

Amen! The devs and dedicated people on these forums make motorola software look good.

#8 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Getting to flash kernels equals...:) so I'm happy either way and importance is zero when either brings the same result IMO..lol

#9 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Could not agree more myself. And on top of that from a recent rumor I've heard about future Motos at least we REALLY want the bootloader unlocked or at least unlockable. Moving forward there is a possibility of a new security set coming that may not even get us to be able to root devices. If that does happen this whole Kexec thing will be useless as we won't be able to do squat with our devices without having root access to start with.

#10 floatingfaceup

floatingfaceup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

EVERYBODY cares that a bypass is so close. As of 8/7/12 7:29 PM EDT, at least 154 people are ecstatic about the idea. See

I think he just forgot a comma.

...Most don't care, now that a bypass is so close...

#11 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

It's a bypass of 1 partition on boot signature checking. Only 1. And it's still checked on boot. It loads first kernel (stock) and switches to the second. This is not what I would call a "bootloader bypass" but a very tricky way of loading a custom kernel called KEXEC.

In computing, kexec (kernel execution) is a mechanism of the Linux kernel that allows "live" booting of a new kernel "over" the currently running kernel. kexec skips the bootloader stage (hardware initialization phase by the firmware or BIOS) and directly loads the new kernel into memory, where it starts executing immediately. This avoids the long times associated with a full reboot[1], and can help systems to meet high-availability requirements by minimizing downtime.

So, as custom kernels are still very very awesome, calling it a bootloader bypass can be misleading, because it is definitely still a secure device with a fully locked bootloader that checks partitions for signatures on boot and on flashing.

I am excited to see we will get custom kernels in the future, but I would still not go with Verizon or locked bootloader devices anymore. A new root exploit cannot be found for every single new device and for every new soft-ware update. Where the bootloaders are unlocked, root will easily come.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#12 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Unlocked Rezound FTW! lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#13 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I probably would have one if I had gotten one during the $50 sale. Although I hate how it feels like a giant bar of soap in your hand haha

#14 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Not a razr user...BANNED! lol

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's a bypass of 1 partition on boot signature checking. Only 1. And it's still checked on boot. It loads first kernel (stock) and switches to the second. This is not what I would call a "bootloader bypass" but a very tricky way of loading a custom kernel called KEXEC.

So, as custom kernels are still very very awesome, calling it a bootloader bypass can be misleading, because it is definitely still a secure device with a fully locked bootloader that checks partitions for signatures on boot and on flashing.

I am excited to see we will get custom kernels in the future, but I would still not go with Verizon or locked bootloader devices anymore. A new root exploit cannot be found for every single new device and for every new soft-ware update. Where the bootloaders are unlocked, root will easily come.

Minced words man, what matters to everyone is the ability to run custom kernels and really get the development flowing. Unlocked, bypassed, doesn't make a difference. The ultimate outcome is what counts.

#16 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Minced words man, what matters to everyone is the ability to run custom kernels and really get the development flowing. Unlocked, bypassed, doesn't make a difference. The ultimate outcome is what counts.

Lol. He's honestly just telling the truth! Yes there will be custom kernels! But it really isn't a boot loader bypass. Boot loader bypass would allow you to flash custom imgs or even mix and match as needed. Remember that semi brick scenario many went through... that would not have happened.

On a nother note: I truly believe moto is not to blame what so ever when it comes to the bootloaders. They are building devices to sale on carriers. If one of those carriers insist on locked bootloaders before they will sale the device(yes VZW-Sg3 proves my point) they have no choice but to lock down!

Verizon has taken the stand as they want full control! Which is further proven by the current info that they are looking at locking SIM cards per a device will eliminate device swapping! The question that needs to be asked and answered is why!? Whats the point! Honestly if VZW continues down this road I will be switching service... no question about it.

#17 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I agree that unless something changes I'm not making the same decisions next time. My decision to get the Razr was based on the blog post by Moto promising the unlock. Next up will be a fully unlocked device on T-Mobile prepaid more than likely. As great as Kexec will be for this device it is not a substitute for an unlocked device, like I paid for.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

#18 floatingfaceup

floatingfaceup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

WTF is an ADR6425LVW anyhow?!?? :P

#19 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

WTF is an ADR6425LVW anyhow?!??

Rezound

#20 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

I agree that unless something changes I'm not making the same decisions next time. My decision to get the Razr was based on the blog post by Moto promising the unlock. Next up will be a fully unlocked device on T-Mobile prepaid more than likely. As great as Kexec will be for this device it is not a substitute for an unlocked device, like I paid for.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Agree. For me though the only option is straight talk. Absolutely nothing else caries sig where i live. Honestly if not for still having my unlimited on vzw id say tootles. As it stands ill hold out just a bit longer. But to much more of their garbage and ill be a straight talker...... leave all this fun for a year r so n come back. ... unless t mobile picks up service hear...

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users