• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

I got some inspiration seeing the goings-on of the HTC EVO 4G LTE section of the XDA Developers forums (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) and thought it would be a cool idea to try on our own device! They had a special .ISO file (virtual CDROM image) in /system/etc/ which we didn't have, but I discovered today we also have our own .ISO file of our own that automatically mounts when you plug in your USB cord, the Motorola MotoCast application install will pop up and be annoying. After looking through partitions I realized our "cdrom" partition which we have taken for-granted before was actually a renamed .ISO file.

So what does this mean to you?
Always having your root and fastboot tools with you, in case of emergency flashing or restoring at a friends house, the public library, school, etc.

What does it include?
  • Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 Root (Razrsedge exploit by Dan Rosenberg)
  • Fastboot. (Will download and flash the system.img file, but none of the other larger files.) This is for when you flashed a bad rom and your nandroids of the stock rom aren't working or who knows what, you cant to go back to the stock rom. This uses windows "wget" to download the file remotely from the crackflasher servers. (640 MB). It wouldn't fit in the virtual ISO.
  • Motorola USB Drivers. 32 bit and 64 bit. Version 5.9 (latest official as of this thread).
  • Customer Recoveries Apks. Safestrap and Bootstrap.

How to install Always Ready:
  • Download the AlwaysReady.iso from

• Put this file on the root of your internal SD card, NOT the external.
  • Already be rooted.
  • Make sure USB Mode is now off of USB Mass Storage, and instead on MTP mode.

Using adb shell commands from your personal computer, or from the Android Terminal Emulator app (free on Play Store):

This will make a backup of the old cdrom on your SD card called "cdromBackup" and will flash the new one on there.

Now reboot your device and it should have worked :)

Screenshot of what it will look like:
Posted Image
(Note: mine says BD-ROM drive because I am mounting the ISO virtually instead of through the Razr. It will look very similar though).

Enjoy guys!
  • HouseMD, lbroksle, JJT211 and 1 other like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • Google+:kebob.rzr@gmail.com
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

NIce work matt! Now we have portable utilitys!

#3 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Matt, this is just great.

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

f***ing epic
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

Nice work Matt. I wonder what else this could be useful for.

#6 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Finally a use for that über annoying popup. Awesome!

Question for Matt, just so I/We know. Will running RSD FXZ or "fastboot flash cdrom cdrom" over write this?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#7 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

Does it get rid or the popup?

#8 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

@ Matt: Gawddamn you're helpful Matt! Thank you buddy!

@Armus: You get a new popup ;)

@Quangtran1: just fyi, no need to quote the entire OP. I'd suggest editing your post to keep your comment only ;)

#9 chasr

chasr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

I guess I read too much into this post and assumed that the patch would also stop the PITA Verizon/Motorola video from popping up each time you do a USB connection to the PC. I am still getting that, unfortunately. However, if I open the F drive. I do see all the "Always Ready" files. (I thought that the video file was on the F drive and was auto-running whenever you made a USB connection. I figured that replacing that file with the Always Read ISO would stop that. Oh well!)

If there is a recommended way to also stop that video pop up that would be great, but the goal of this patch has certainly been achieved.

Thanks Matt.

#10 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

I guess I read too much into this post and assumed that the patch would also stop the PITA Verizon/Motorola video from popping up each time you do a USB connection to the PC. I am still getting that, unfortunately. However, if I open the F drive. I do see all the "Always Ready" files. (I thought that the video file was on the F drive and was auto-running whenever you made a USB connection. I figured that replacing that file with the Always Read ISO would stop that. Oh well!)

If there is a recommended way to also stop that video pop up that would be great, but the goal of this patch has certainly been achieved.

Thanks Matt.

Install the Motohelper files. Next time you connect your device right-click on the icon in the taskbar and select "Do Nothing" for when the device connects.
  • wabmorgan likes this

#11 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Install the Motohelper files. Next time you connect your device right-click on the icon in the taskbar and select "Do Nothing" for when the device connects.

Yes the video comes when you connect phone and it goes online for backup assistant crap. Do nothing option does work well for that.

X

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#12 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

I tried doing this through the terminal emulator on my razr and it seemed like it took, I rebooted an everything is still in the same spot and there is no AlwaysReady Folder on the sdcard.

I am installing SDK right now but I cannot get the cmd to recognize the device. any ideas anyone?

#13 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I tried doing this through the terminal emulator on my razr and it seemed like it took, I rebooted an everything is still in the same spot and there is no AlwaysReady Folder on the sdcard.

I am installing SDK right now but I cannot get the cmd to recognize the device. any ideas anyone?

You're assuming it didn't work but what happens when you plug your phone to the pc?

#14 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Your assuming it didn't work but what happens when you plug your phone to the pc?

That (because it just brings up motocast and nothing else) and looking in Root Explorer, the .iso is still in the root of the SD and nothing pops up on my computer to be able to access on board utilities.

#15 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Finally a use for that über annoying popup. Awesome!

Question for Matt, just so I/We know. Will running RSD FXZ or "fastboot flash cdrom cdrom" over write this?

Even the cdrom that comes with the fxz doesn't flash with fastboot. To restore backup from sdcard do:

That (because it just brings up motocast and nothing else) and looking in Root Explorer, the .iso is still in the root of the SD and nothing pops up on my computer to be able to access on board utilities.

The .iso will not be removed from your SD card and there is not going to be a folder appearing there either. If you are still getting Motocast issues than you did not correctly type in the commands. If you get the 'mmcblkp1p16' part wrong you could be looking at some troubles.

If you use CMD.exe you can 'cd' into the directory of any of my utility where adb.exe is used and use the commands from there, copy and paste is suggested.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#16 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would try again with the terminal command. I only have the iso and this works for me. I don't believe you'll have a folder setup after running the command text.

#17 chasr

chasr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

That worked. Thanks. Almost too easy... :blink:

#18 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

It worked but I realized that you have to be connected to the computer as Mass storage after the reboot to make it pop up. Is that something that I did not see in the OP or something that is common knowledge?

#19 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

It worked but I realized that you have to be connected to the computer as Mass storage after the reboot to make it pop up. Is that something that I did not see in the OP or something that is common knowledge?

You wouldn't see the old one if you were not in mass storage either. It wouldn't try to mount it otherwise.

#20 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

You wouldn't see the old one if you were not in mass storage either. It wouldn't try to mount it otherwise.

Ah I see! Epic work Matt! Thanks for all of the kick rear end utilities. :D Donation sent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users