• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 masterfisto

masterfisto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

So I'm thinking about making my OG razr into a Maxx. The only problem is that my razr is white and the Maxx is not... If I do the conversion, I'm contemplating using vinyl dye to give my razr a custom paint job (red maybe?). Any suggestions, input, criticism? Am I crazy to even think about doing this?

#2 Hero_Indeed

Hero_Indeed

Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

So I'm thinking about making my OG razr into a Maxx. The only problem is that my razr is white and the Maxx is not... If I do the conversion, I'm contemplating using vinyl dye to give my razr a custom paint job (red maybe?). Any suggestions, input, criticism? Am I crazy to even think about doing this?

If you pull this off I would be interested in seeing the finished product for sure. Keep us posted!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
  • HouseMD likes this
Posted Image

#3 masterfisto

masterfisto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I definitely will. I probably won't actually do any of this for another month or two, but I wanted to bring up the idea to see if anyone had any experience with the stuff :)

#4 priddyma

priddyma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDeKalb, IL
  • Current Device(s):HTC One XL, Motorola DROID RAZR

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I kinda like the combination of my white on black. Looks pretty cool to me anyway.
DROID RAZR XT912 Batakang JB | Samsung Galaxy SIII Pebble Blue - On the way!

#5 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

They make a spray paint in cans specifically designed for plastics. I'm pretty sure you may need to scuff up the surfaces with a very fine sandpaper too. The paint may peel off otherwise. Also make sure you dont get any paint on any contacts. I'm a professional painter by trade and this is a first for me lol
Posted Image

#6 masterfisto

masterfisto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've looked at the plastic specific spray paint and the problem is that it's just a covering. With vinyl dye, it actually seeps into the plastic and dyes it. When I do paint it I'll take the two plastic parts off the phone. Does anyone know if the kevlar separates from the plastic?

#7 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've looked at the plastic specific spray paint and the problem is that it's just a covering. With vinyl dye, it actually seeps into the plastic and dyes it. When I do paint it I'll take the two plastic parts off the phone. Does anyone know if the kevlar separates from the plastic?

I'm thinking if the plastic is'nt white the dye may go off color. Not sure about that since I'm a painter, not a dyer lol
Posted Image

#8 masterfisto

masterfisto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I'm not sure, it's the stuff they use to change the color of car interiors so I don't think that off color will be a problem?

#9 Arak-Nafein

Arak-Nafein

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you can't dye it white. You can dye a white surface into another color, but not vice versa (I.E. you can go darker, but not lighter). Most interior "dyes" are just a coating anyways. The only true dye I've seen is for fabrics, vinyl & leather. Plastic isn't too porous so a dye will have a hard time penetrating.

Just paint it, it'll be much easier and it'll probably look better. If you prepare the surface properly and use a hardener it wont scratch off. You can also control how glossy you want it to be.

For reference, "dye" doesn't come in an aerosol can. I've seen several "dyes" that comes in a can....it's nothing more than a fancy paint.

#10 weaponx

weaponx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would also like to check out the final product..I did something similar with my OG Droid..well, just on the camera button which the paint came off of. I taped off everything else like crazy,,bought some spray paint for plastic in the bronze color and went for it..Turned out pretty good. It did come off a little after a while but I didn't sand the tiny button. But the sides on the Razr might be doable....a red Razr...oooooh super awesome....
Hey bub, I'm not finished with you yet..... SKNIT!!

#11 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

buy a case..it's easier :P
Posted Image

#12 okie

okie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

The vinyl "dye" is actually just a rubberized coating. I use the dye often in the upholstery business, and it can and will rub away over time. I think it would be best to use a plastic specific paint... just my 2 cents.

#13 jmp485

jmp485

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Twitter:jmp485

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm a polymer engineer and can tell you that the vinyl dye won't work with this material. They work ok with vinyl because if the special nature of flexible pvc. Almost every other plastic won't accept that dye. It will most likely stain the plastic and make it blotchy. I'm pretty sure these are made from some sort of polycarbonate blend. What that means to you is that it should really accept paint. Just use a plastic specific paint and follow the prep steps carefully

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#14 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

I was under the impression that the back and front bezel weren't even plastic. The bezel is titanium and the back is a titanium, Kevlar combo

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#15 Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSW, Missouri

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

I was under the impression that the back and front bezel weren't even plastic. The bezel is titanium and the back is a titanium, Kevlar combo

Mine is actually made of Unobtainium and the same material as Superman's cape.
  • mal_eskrito likes this
Posted Image

#16 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Mine is actually made of Unobtainium and the same material as Superman's cape.

Come on now, supermans cape is just regular cloth, the fabric just absorbs some of his properties while on him... Duh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Invictus Maneo!

#17 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

Buy a case I tell ya lol. No fear of anything wearing away.. just my opinion
Posted Image

#18 roBrey85

roBrey85

Brey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

Screw buying a case, you'll have the comoponents, off anyway. Might as well try a spray paint. What about the spray paints that they use to color those cars and trucks you can glue together and what not?

EDIT: this stuff:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Posted Image

#19 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

The phones gonna look like it went through world war 3 after it's been dropped a few times and slid across any hard object. Kinda like getting your shiny new vehicle keyed. But anyway... it may give it character lol
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users