17 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas Clark

Douglas Clark

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Have a issue with the two razrs I have currently attached to my network. They show up is having the same mac address! Maybe. I am confused and do not understand how Mac addr work, but I did not think that was possible. Needless to say only one of us is able to be on at a time...

.i have tried using static ips but that doesn't help.

Both are running the latest weekly miui (2.8.3)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

#2 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Try turning off the phones, reboot the router, then turn the phones back on. I've had this happen with multiple pc's. It may work for you

#3 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:47 AM

It's possible the 2 devices were manufactured and programmed one right after the other and human error in assigning a mac address occured. If thats the case send one back with an explanation.
or try this

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Read all threads first

EDIT: Check both phones ... About phone > status...... the mac address the same?
Posted Image

#4 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Have a issue with the two razrs I have currently attached to my network. They show up is having the same mac address! Maybe. I am confused and do not understand how Mac addr work, but I did not think that was possible. Needless to say only one of us is able to be on at a time...

.i have tried using static ips but that doesn't help.

Both are running the latest weekly miui (2.8.3)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Did you buy both phones from Verizon? Or eBay, some place like that? Network devices' MAC addresses are assigned by the region for which the OEM plans to market. In simplest terms, the chip maker manufactures different batches for the west coast, for the east coast, for overseas, etc. As these phones change hands via eBay, there's a chance for your situation. However, the probability is astronomically unlikely. With all due respect, I tend to think you looked at your devices incorrectly.

#5 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

It's possible the 2 devices were manufactured and programmed one right after the other and human error in assigning a mac address occured. If thats the case send one back with an explanation.
or try this

Read all threads first

EDIT: Check both phones ... About phone > status...... the mac address the same?

Then I guess you can sell one of them, and re-buy a different one.

#6 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Bringing this thread back up, as I couldn't find any other thread pertaining to this.

I'm having the same problem as the OP, as you can see in the picture. On the left is my RAZR, and on the right is my housemate's RAZR. We only started getting wifi connection issues after updating to the 4.1.2 JB leak. We're at a loss as to what to do, so for the time being, I am not the one using wifi.

4.62MB   13 downloads

#7 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well I'll be d@mned

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#8 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Bringing this thread back up, as I couldn't find any other thread pertaining to this.

I'm having the same problem as the OP, as you can see in the picture. On the left is my RAZR, and on the right is my housemate's RAZR. We only started getting wifi connection issues after updating to the 4.1.2 JB leak. We're at a loss as to what to do, so for the time being, I am not the one using wifi.

4.62MB   13 downloads

Have either one of you tried to load a rom based off the JB stock? I've read it may be software related although I have always thought it was hard coded and unique to individual devices. :blink:
Posted Image

#9 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Have either one of you tried to load a rom based off the JB stock? I've read it may be software related although I have always thought it was hard coded and unique to individual devices. :blink:

Between the two of us, only I am rooted... So I'll give flashing another ROM a try later this evening. Makes me wonder if anyone else on JB leak has the same MAC address.

I, too, was always under the impression that MACs are hard coded to each network interface. Seems to be different with smartphones.

#10 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Yes, MAC addresses are coded into a NIC's circuitry. However, some newer devices have begun to implement MAC reallocation schemes in software. In other words, its MAC is changed after a reboot to fight MAC spoofing. In fact, there are software available for the past 10 years to reprogram a NIC's MAC address permanently. That said, your Razr does not have that. I don't think it'd help, but before installing another ROM, I'd perform a factory reset if you haven't already done so.

#11 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm think aloud here.
By chance, did you use one of those Kexec ROMs?

#12 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yes, MAC addresses are coded into a NIC's circuitry. However, some newer devices have begun to implement MAC reallocation schemes in software. In other words, its MAC is changed after a reboot to fight MAC spoofing. In fact, there are software available for the past 10 years to reprogram a NIC's MAC address permanently. That said, your Razr does not have that. I don't think it'd help, but before installing another ROM, I'd perform a factory reset if you haven't already done so.

I'm think aloud here.
By chance, did you use one of those Kexec ROMs?

Both phones were factory reset after updating, and I've never used a Kexec ROM.

I'll definitely do another factory reset before I flash a ROM to see if the MAC changes. I'm using SS3.11 anyway, so I could just flash a new ROM to a ROM slot.

#13 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Do you use DHCP? The reason I asked is because .252 & .253 are very strangely high values for DHCP assignments.
I would 1) Remove these associated MAC addresses in your router(s) if possible; 2) Reboot the router(s); 3) Verify that you use DHCP (in other words, make sure the router(s) are not associating these static IPs with incorrect MACs. Then if you can't figure out, you can always do a factory reset; however, I can't see that it would fix anything there.

#14 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Do you use DHCP? The reason I asked is because .252 & .253 are very strangely high values for DHCP assignments.
I would 1) Remove these associated MAC addresses in your router(s) if possible; 2) Reboot the router(s); 3) Verify that you use DHCP (in other words, make sure the router(s) are not associating these static IPs with incorrect MACs. Then if you can't figure out, you can always do a factory reset; however, I can't see that it would fix anything there.

At the time the photo was taken, I assigned those addresses statically on the phones themselves because via DHCP, my router was assigning the same IP address to both phones (since the MAC addresses were identical, the router saw both phones as one device). I've also rebooted the router countless times, and cleared the MAC table in the router to no avail.

I'll report back tonight after:
1. Flashing a custom ROM in a ROM slot.
2. Factory resetting the stock ROM.

#15 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Unfortunately, both methods yielded the same result. I first did a factory reset of the stock ROM, then installed a custom ROM in a ROM slot via Safestrap. The MAC address remains the same in both ROMs.

#16 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Unfortunately, both methods yielded the same result. I first did a factory reset of the stock ROM, then installed a custom ROM in a ROM slot via Safestrap. The MAC address remains the same in both ROMs.

Perhaps it is a bug in the "early release" update?

#17 oatmealboy

oatmealboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Perhaps it is a bug in the "early release" update?

I hope you're right. If that is the case, I'm content with waiting until the official JB update is release. Don't really know what else I can do from here.

#18 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

I'm sending you 2 links for your research.

• quangtran1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users