12 replies to this topic

#1 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

So I really want to start seeing how linux every since I found out that mechanical engineers have to do a lot of their work on linux. Through searching I found ubuntu and was wondering if any devs here or someone else might know how it works and if it really is a linux environment? I know that android coding is based around linux (or I read something wrong) and thought maybe you guys would have a good idea of what ubuntu really is.

eb7gn6.png

#2 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

So I really want to start seeing how linux every since I found out that mechanical engineers have to do a lot of their work on linux. Through searching I found ubuntu and was wondering if any devs here or someone else might know how it works and if it really is a linux environment? I know that android coding is based around linux (or I read something wrong) and thought maybe you guys would have a good idea of what ubuntu really is.

Ubuntu is simply a Linux flavor, that's all. Same with Debian, Slackware, Redhat and the like. Each flavor is designed with certain goals in mind. Debian is more broadscale server deployment. Ubuntu is more user friendly and available for the end users like yourself. Linux is an incredibly powerful language to learn. I know VB.NET C, C# and SQL. After learning those I knew that I needed to learn Linux, Ubuntu is a great starting OS, very user friendly and somewhat hard to break.
  • Scipio likes this

Posted Image

#3 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Ubuntu is simply a Linux flavor, that's all. Same with Debian, Slackware, Redhat and the like. Each flavor is designed with certain goals in mind. Debian is more broadscale server deployment. Ubuntu is more user friendly and available for the end users like yourself. Linux is an incredibly powerful language to learn. I know VB.NET C, C# and SQL. After learning those I knew that I needed to learn Linux, Ubuntu is a great starting OS, very user friendly and somewhat hard to break.

Great thank you. I have taken a class on C++ and I realize that I basically know nothing that it can do, we simply learned how to do arrays and simple math before we went into matlab (which I hate so much) and have been attempting to learn java on my own with no real progress. But I know that all the engineering computer labs run linux, and I have used it but not to very much extent so I feel that learning it could help a lot for my future. Thank you for the response though! Greatly appreciated :) I'm installing it now as I type this. Also in the install, it asks installation size, is that the size of the hard drive it will be using? I set it to 30 gb which was the max as far as I could tell.

eb7gn6.png

#4 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Great thank you. I have taken a class on C++ and I realize that I basically know nothing that it can do, we simply learned how to do arrays and simple math before we went into matlab (which I hate so much) and have been attempting to learn java on my own with no real progress. But I know that all the engineering computer labs run linux, and I have used it but not to very much extent so I feel that learning it could help a lot for my future. Thank you for the response though! Greatly appreciated :) I'm installing it now as I type this. Also in the install, it asks installation size, is that the size of the hard drive it will be using? I set it to 30 gb which was the max as far as I could tell.

Are you dualbooting? If you are you can set it to 30GB that way it wont eat up your HDD and youll still have full functionality. I use VM for my linux work but I also have a work PC that is a hoss (Core i7, 32GB of RAM, 2 RAID-0 1TB SSDs) so my computer can VM almost anything.

Posted Image

#5 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Did you install via Wubi? That would be the size of the virtual drive it has created to have the OS + Applications on.

Also, as a ME I have never had a need for Linux. In fact, in my experience most places require extensive experience in Windows as most business class software is developed for it. Historically companies expected MEs to do some programming, but now-a-days most places expect you instead to know how to use the standard industry tools (3D drawing, finite element analysis packages/flow analysis (a subset of FE), statistical analysis). For some larger corporations I've dealt with I needed to learn some sensor coding/analysis packages and ERP systems. And for the Process/Manufacturing engineering side of things I've found it useful to be familiar with RLL (Relay Ladder Logic), but that is something you can pick up in a matter of minutes if you understand basic electrical engineering.

Given, I'm only 25 so my experience isn't as wide as many, but I have done design work to upgrade the one of the largest power companies in the world and also handled jobs as simple being a CAD jockey for a tiny local company that made custom glass windows.
  • powerdan74, aktrazer and Scipio like this

#6 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Did you install via Wubi? That would be the size of the virtual drive it has created to have the OS + Applications on.

Also, as a ME I have never had a need for Linux. In fact, in my experience most places require extensive experience in Windows as most business class software is developed for it. Historically companies expected MEs to do some programming, but now-a-days most places expect you instead to know how to use the standard industry tools (3D drawing, finite element analysis packages/flow analysis (a subset of FE), statistical analysis). For some larger corporations I've dealt with I needed to learn some sensor coding/analysis packages and ERP systems. And for the Process/Manufacturing engineering side of things I've found it useful to be familiar with RLL (Relay Ladder Logic), but that is something you can pick up in a matter of minutes if you understand basic electrical engineering.

Given, I'm only 25 so my experience isn't as wide as many, but I have done design work to upgrade the one of the largest power companies in the world and also handled jobs as simple being a CAD jockey for a tiny local company that made custom glass windows.

I might have heard wrong from the people at my university than, or one of my friends lied to me which one be the first lol. But thank you that's pretty good info to know, I honestly love working on windows, I just feel at home while using it since I've kinda grown up on it.

But I installed ubuntu and I'm pretty sure that what snives said is correct on that it was 30gb for the program and the storage space for linux. But I noticed in ubuntu that it ran really slow on my computer, like incredibly slow and I have a really nice laptop, I've got a AMD A-8 3.0 ghz quad core processor and good graphics card (can't quite remember the model) and run all my games on high graphics which is more than I would expect from just an operating system. Any clue as to why my comp is crapping itself when I try running it?

eb7gn6.png

#7 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I might have heard wrong from the people at my university than, or one of my friends lied to me which one be the first lol. But thank you that's pretty good info to know, I honestly love working on windows, I just feel at home while using it since I've kinda grown up on it. But I installed ubuntu and I'm pretty sure that what snives said is correct on that it was 30gb for the program and the storage space for linux. But I noticed in ubuntu that it ran really slow on my computer, like incredibly slow and I have a really nice laptop, I've got a AMD A-8 3.0 ghz quad core processor and good graphics card (can't quite remember the model) and run all my games on high graphics which is more than I would expect from just an operating system. Any clue as to why my comp is crapping itself when I try running it?

Have you updated drivers at all? Ubuntu does not ship with proprietary drivers built in.

If it is a virtual machine you are using rather than dualbooting, it will be slow as it has to share resources with Windows.

#8 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Do you mean I need to update my drivers within ubuntu or on my windows 7 setup? I got it in may so I would be surprised if updates came out already

Edit: also am I able to use ubuntu to do coding with android? I am trying to learn how to do cm9 themes and read that being on a Linux operating system is almost necessary. Can Ubuntu be used for making roms and such as well? All answers are greatly appreciated :)

eb7gn6.png

#9 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Do you mean I need to update my drivers within ubuntu or on my windows 7 setup? I got it in may so I would be surprised if updates came out already

Edit: also am I able to use ubuntu to do coding with android? I am trying to learn how to do cm9 themes and read that being on a Linux operating system is almost necessary. Can Ubuntu be used for making roms and such as well? All answers are greatly appreciated

You haven't made it clear yet how exactly you are getting to Ubuntu, so it is hard to give quality advice to get it running better. You can develop for Android in Windows or Linux, but generally Linux is preferred for building from source.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#10 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

You haven't made it clear yet how exactly you are getting to Ubuntu, so it is hard to give quality advice to get it running better. You can develop for Android in Windows or Linux, but generally Linux is preferred for building from source.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Okay I get to Ubuntu by rebooting my computer and choosing to boot into Ubuntu instead of windows 7, I think I figured out how to update my graphics driver Edit: I figured out why I thought I was lagging, it stops registering my mouse clicks or hover so idk if I can use it

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

eb7gn6.png

#11 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Not trying to hijack, but do you have to partition ram?

#12 churchmouth

churchmouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/leftspin
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Not trying to hijack, but do you have to partition ram?

You mean to install Ubuntu? No, just partition the HDD and format the partition you want Linux on to ext4
  • Brad92 likes this

#13 tablecrasher

tablecrasher

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

If you installed from in windows and not with the CD in the drive on a reboot, it well run slower. Its best to have a separate partition for Ubuntu. Runs smoother.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users