9 replies to this topic

#1 broadsword

broadsword

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi everybody. I am on Verizon and bought the Droid Razr two weeks ago, after owning the original Droid for over two years. I am not what you might call an overclocker or whatever, when it comes to the phone. The only thing that really annoys me is the juvenile and totally obnoxious boot sound. I can cope with the stupid animation but the sound...it's just a ridiculous annoyance. The thing is, when I bring the phone into silent mode manually just before I power off, when I boot the phone back up, the sound is off, and it's fine. But when I try to use something like the "Silent Boot" application, or even Tasker, where it's an automated process, it fails. The abhorrent sound on boot, which to me is totally silly and just a total waste of resources, comes on.

Am I going to have to try and root this phone (if it is even possible?) just to automate the process of turning the sound for the silly animation off? I know there are other benefits to rooting but I REALLY do not want to have to do it. I can live with the stupid apps that I can't delete, etc. At least for now. I just want to stop the annoying boot sound automatically. That's all. Maybe I am not setting up Tasker correctly? But I think I am. It's just frustrating to me.

Many thanks to anyone who can advise me!

#2 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

It's totally possible :-)
Just root your phone and use one of the custom boot animations. I've seen the RAZR one floating around. As well as the Xyboard one too...

That being said, if you flash a ROM (RAZRX is a good one) you get a completely different animation from time to time, None of which I've seen to have sound like the stock RAZR one.

#3 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

I actually didn't notice a bootsound for a couple days after I got the phone. It's so quiet on my phone that I didn't hear it the first few times that I booted up. I still barely hear it and almost have to put the phone to my ear just to hear it when my phone boots.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

It's totally possible :-)
Just root your phone and use one of the custom boot animations. I've seen the RAZR one floating around. As well as the Xyboard one too...

That being said, if you flash a ROM (RAZRX is a good one) you get a completely different animation from time to time, None of which I've seen to have sound like the stock RAZR one.

+1
Also, if all you do is root, and absolutely nothing else, you can download free apps for changing the boot animation from the Android Market (search "boot animation changer"). That will get rid of any sound from booting for you.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#5 rnlcomp

rnlcomp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationS.E. Louisiana

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I actually didn't notice a bootsound for a couple days after I got the phone. It's so quiet on my phone that I didn't hear it the first few times that I booted up. I still barely hear it and almost have to put the phone to my ear just to hear it when my phone boots.

Ditto I can barely hear anything.

#6 broadsword

broadsword

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

But is it possible WITHOUT having to root the phone? As I mentioned, I'd like to do this without rooting, since really, that's all I have to complain about the phone out of the box.

#7 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

But is it possible WITHOUT having to root the phone? As I mentioned, I'd like to do this without rooting, since really, that's all I have to complain about the phone out of the box.

Nope! None that I'm aware of.

Sent from my Rooted Droid Razr

#8 broadsword

broadsword

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Amazing that Verizon would force users who find the boot up animation--in particular, the sound--an assinine annoyance, to either:

1. Root the phone to get rid of the stupid file that runs.
2. Do not root the phone, and try to remember to put the phone in silient mode, since neither an app like "Silent Boot" nor configuring Tasker to do the same thing the Silent Boot app does will not actually work on the Razr.

It may be low volume, and just a few seconds, but to me, it is a stupid, juvenile sound that reeks of adolescent bragging, something that in my opinion is trying to say, "I'm cool" but really says "Hey look at me, I am a simpleton with an overpriced piece of technology," as well as something quite noticeable if you happen to boot up your phone in a meeting in a small conference room. Sorry, it's just ridiculous to me. It's like buying a super nice car with a muffler that's really loud for the first few seconds every time you start it. A small blip on an otherwise outstanding phone. It's enough to make me want to root it, and I probably would, if I wasn't so worried about bricking the thing, and if I wanted to actually do more with it that rooting would allow me to do. I just want to use the phone, in its stock state, and not mod it or tweak it, except for the lame startup sound effect. So until I find another way, I guess I will try to remember to silence the phone before powering down. Thanks for your all's input though.
  • junkyjunk likes this

#9 BullyDawg

BullyDawg

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(5 free trials) and

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

work like a dream! Finally, silence from my Razr's "drooooooooooid" groaning at startup!
Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx

#10 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

Moved to General. Non emergency. Glad you got the sound to go away! :D

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic