21 replies to this topic

#1 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

So I took 24v's yellow outline keyboard for cm9/aokp roms and wanted to change the background of it. I decompile it with apk multi-tool, throw in my background (it's a .9.png file and it checks out with the android SDK 9 patch maker), compile it, sign it and put it in my system/app folder with es file explorer. No matter what though it always says "Android Keyboard has Stopped Working" and my keyboard never shows. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be stopping it from working? Here is a file of the apk I have made

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

eb7gn6.png

#2 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Try this next time.
Put 24v's original yellow keyboard on your desktop.
After you have compiled your modified keyboard open it in 7zip and open 24v's original keyboard that you put on your desktop in 7zip also. You should have his keyboard in one window and the one you just created in another. Go to the res folder in each of them and drag only the drawable-hdpi folder from your new keyboard apk to his original one. Basically only replace the drawable-hdpi folder. You should be able to flash the LatinIME that is on your desktop now with your background in it without any errors.

This is a trick 24v actually taught me when I was having the same problem with the keyboard closing.

Also, I went ahead and fixed it for you. It worked fine for me when I flashed it. To reiterate, ll I had to do was drag the drawable-hdpi from your LatinIME.apk and drop it in 24v's original yellow one to replace it and flash. Enjoy.

#3 lownslow200sx

lownslow200sx

OSE-DEV/THEMER

• Developer
  • 355 posts
  • Google+:Lownslow200sx
  • LocationRocky Mount, NC
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD, OG Razor, Nexus 7 (2012)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Same thing happend to me im trying something else now to see if I can get it working, I'm going to try to just extract the apk instead of decompiling it, then I'm going to just zip it to see if it works.

Edit:

beat me to it :)

JXGM6Ej.png

#4 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

Try this next time.
Put 24v's original yellow keyboard on your desktop.
After you have compiled your modified keyboard open it in 7zip and open 24v's original keyboard that you put on your desktop in 7zip also. You should have his keyboard in one window and the one you just created in another. Go to the res folder in each of them and drag only the drawable-hdpi folder from your new keyboard apk to his original one. Basically only replace the drawable-hdpi folder. You should be able to flash the LatinIME that is on your desktop now with your background in it without any errors.

This is a trick 24v actually taught me when I was having the same problem with the keyboard closing.

Also, I went ahead and fixed it for you. It worked fine for me when I flashed it. To reiterate, ll I had to do was drag the drawable-hdpi from your LatinIME.apk and drop it in 24v's original yellow one to replace it and flash. Enjoy.

Wow thank you so much dude! :)

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

eb7gn6.png

#5 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

And what would happen if I edited the values/strings.xml? I don't see the folder unless I decompile it

eb7gn6.png

#6 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

Ok, DSG has it almost perfect.
When you are editing the files in the keyboard, you have to move the ones you've edited. When you compile the apk some of the xml's "disappear". they are actually just turning into resources.arsc.
So, after you compile the apk you need to drag over resources.arsc if you have done any xml edits. Also, if you do any edits in any folders in res, you need to drag them over as well.
So, to summarize, drag over any folders you've worked on in the res folder, and if you worked on xml's drag over resources.arsc.
Do not just get lazy and drag over the entire res folder. It won't work.

I was going to tell you this in the pm, but I figured it would take you a little bit to figure out how to manipulate the images first.

#7 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm going to try to just extract the apk instead of decompiling it, then I'm going to just zip it to see if it works.

This is not the right way. You need to decompile/recompile apks when changing anything other than just regular pngs.

#8 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Ok, DSG has it almost perfect.
When you are editing the files in the keyboard, you have to move the ones you've edited. When you compile the apk some of the xml's "disappear". they are actually just turning into resources.arsc.
So, after you compile the apk you need to drag over resources.arsc if you have done any xml edits. Also, if you do any edits in any folders in res, you need to drag them over as well.
So, to summarize, drag over any folders you've worked on in the res folder, and if you worked on xml's drag over resources.arsc.
Do not just get lazy and drag over the entire res folder. It won't work.

I was going to tell you this in the pm, but I figured it would take you a little bit to figure out how to manipulate the images first.

Okay so I make the apk in apk multi tool, compile it, unzip it, unzip the original and copy over the hdpi and resources.arsc to the original apk?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

eb7gn6.png

#9 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Never unzip an apk for any reason.
You should just be opening them to look at.
But yes, drag and drop.

#10 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Never unzip an apk for any reason.
You should just be opening them to look at.
But yes, drag and drop.

Ohhhh so just open it in 7zip and I can drag and drop within 7zip?

eb7gn6.png

#11 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yes, open with 7 zip. then open the other with 7 zip. So you have two windows open. Drag the modified files into the original.

#12 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Yes, open with 7 zip. then open the other with 7 zip. So you have two windows open. Drag the modified files into the original.

Okay, thank you so much! I'll try it when I get home

eb7gn6.png

#13 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Be sure to share what you come up with. I'm excited to see it.

#14 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Be sure to share what you come up with. I'm excited to see it.

Will do, I'm thinking of some super hero and video game ones at first, gotta make all different color keys too and stuff haha

eb7gn6.png

#15 lownslow200sx

lownslow200sx

OSE-DEV/THEMER

• Developer
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

This is not the right way. You need to decompile/recompile apks when changing anything other than just regular pngs.

Sorry I thought he was just editing the pngs I didnt know he was editing xmls also.

JXGM6Ej.png

#16 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Sorry I thought he was just editing the pngs I didnt know he was editing xmls also.

It doesn't matter what is happening, you should not extract an apk.

#17 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Finally got it working :) :) :) I did it with 24v's USA keyboard and made all the letters white with a gw2 background

Now to start making cm9 themes that I think I finally got figured out, might be a while before first one is posted though

Attached Files

eb7gn6.png

#18 Scipio

Scipio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

And forgot to say thanks again for all the help guys, really made my day :)

eb7gn6.png

#19 lownslow200sx

lownslow200sx

OSE-DEV/THEMER

• Developer
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

It doesn't matter what is happening, you should not extract an apk.

Not being a smart rear end this is a serious question. Why is it the first option in

?

I use all the time to edit PNGs with no problems.

JXGM6Ej.png

#20 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

The keyboard is a tough one. I can't give you a definitive answer other then it does not play nice with being decompiled. You can copy whatever changes youve made over to an untouched keyboard but so far for this is what we're stuck with until the final solution is figured out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users