13 replies to this topic

#1 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

My wife and I are in an RV Park right on the boarder with Mexico. As a mater of fact, I can see the Rio Grande River and the Mexican shore line out my living room window. My problem is, my Rzr Maxx keeps connecting to a Mexico cell tower. I'm running ICS 4.04 215 Rooted, Any ideas what I can hack or change to stop this. I am on the US side and don't plan to go to Mexico. I called Verizon and was told basically tough sh!t, I would have to pay for International Roaming if I wanted to use my phone "on the USA side so close to the boarder. I need help, Please.

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

My wife and I are in an RV Park right on the boarder with Mexico. As a mater of fact, I can see the Rio Grande River and the Mexican shore line out my living room window. My problem is, my Rzr Maxx keeps connecting to a Mexico cell tower. I'm running ICS 4.04 215 Rooted, Any ideas what I can hack or change to stop this. I am on the US side and don't plan to go to Mexico. I called Verizon and was told basically tough sh!t, I would have to pay for International Roaming if I wanted to use my phone "on the USA side so close to the boarder. I need help, Please.

Download Phone Info, and set your phone to CDMA Only?
  • txdude likes this

#3 ilanderech

ilanderech

I want to be blue!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Google+:ilanderech@gmail.com
  • LocationMexico City
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr, Razr Maxx

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

the problem is that ICS is global so you can dial *#*#4636#*#* and choose cdma (auto prl)
Posted Image

#4 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have turned off all the data roaming I can find. ilanderech I'll try your suggestion and get back to you.

Posted Image

#5 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

the problem is that ICS is global so you can dial *#*#4636#*#* and choose cdma (auto prl)

I did this and lost 4G which I expected to do with cdma only. My question to you sir is, do I have to lose 4g for this to work? Would selecting LTE/CDMA/EvDo do the same thing?

#6 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Select lte/cdma should work

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
Invictus Maneo!

#7 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

No mater what I do. I've got the data figured out, I hope, But BOTH phones keep hooking up to a Mexico tower for voice. I've even had 4g for data and Mexico for voice on the same phone at the same time. I need help bad.

#8 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Call Verizon and see what they can do.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#9 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hate to rain on your parade but in Short your kinda screwed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 or XT913

#10 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, I'm calling billing and second tier Support tomorrow. I am not paying for Mexican roaming while I am in The USA, PERIOD.

#11 boxermansr

boxermansr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I live in a border city too, and have had this problem with the "big three" (AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon). AT&T simply put an international block on my phones, and I never had the issue (never had the issue of not being able to make calls in the areas where I'd roamed internationally either). Sprint, they were AWFUL, and every month insisted that I somehow was in Mexico, even though there's no chance I'd be over there, especially with how bad it's gotten in the last few years.. As for Verizon, since I've been back with them, I haven't had this issue, but I did have it a few times many years ago, and a call to customer service usually got any charges waived. It doesn't happen where I live, but it does happen in areas of the city where I work/travel/etc (and its pretty much the same exact areas with all three carriers, so I imagine the Mexican towers are more powerful than the US ones - Sprint even told me that there was nothing they could do if the towers from Mexico were more powerful than there's and to pretty much "deal with it").
Posted Image

#12 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

I live in a border city too, and have had this problem with the "big three" (AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon). AT&T simply put an international block on my phones, and I never had the issue (never had the issue of not being able to make calls in the areas where I'd roamed internationally either). Sprint, they were AWFUL, and every month insisted that I somehow was in Mexico, even though there's no chance I'd be over there, especially with how bad it's gotten in the last few years.. As for Verizon, since I've been back with them, I haven't had this issue, but I did have it a few times many years ago, and a call to customer service usually got any charges waived. It doesn't happen where I live, but it does happen in areas of the city where I work/travel/etc (and its pretty much the same exact areas with all three carriers, so I imagine the Mexican towers are more powerful than the US ones - Sprint even told me that there was nothing they could do if the towers from Mexico were more powerful than there's and to pretty much "deal with it").

We're over here in Mission TX, right on the river. Did Verizon try to make you pay for the Mexican roaming or give you any problems with waiving the charges?

#13 boxermansr

boxermansr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

We're over here in Mission TX, right on the river. Did Verizon try to make you pay for the Mexican roaming or give you any problems with waiving the charges?

It was many many years ago, and they did credit me, without an issue, things since then of course could be completely different. I haven't roamed with Verizon since I've been back with them.
Posted Image

#14 alwims

alwims

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I called 2nd tear tech support and got nowhere so I asked for a supervisor and he said he could block it. We'll see when the bill comes next month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users