• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zero

zero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:30 AM

Anyone who hasn't tried this new security app in the Market definitely should. It's 100% free and has all the security-related features like antivirus, anti-theft, remote lock/wipe, SMS/call filter, and more in a nice interface. Even has root installation to prevent uninstallation by would-be thief. Norton, McAfee and all those ones are more of a hassle than they are useful, and they're not even full versions.

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

Anyone who hasn't tried this new security app in the Market definitely should. It's 100% free and has all the security-related features like antivirus, anti-theft, remote lock/wipe, SMS/call filter, and more in a nice interface. Even has root installation to prevent uninstallation by would-be thief. Norton, McAfee and all those ones are more of a hassle than they are useful, and they're not even full versions.

I've always been curious, how much of a performance impact does Avast carry on a phone? I've not been too concerned over AV for my phone, as even working in IT I've yet to find an infection that I can't trace back to the user doing something they shouldn't have.

#3 zero

zero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

I've never had to utilize any of the features fortunately, it's just a nice thing to have. I know Lookout is pretty popular, but I didn't care for it. As for impacting the phone my phones been a little laggy and battery life isn't quite up to par but that could be running Arctic, idk. I'll probably not redownload it for awhile after flashing .173 and Eclipse. For being free, it's got enough built into the app to make it worth it for people who are interested. Saw it while browsing through the top new free apps section on the Market.

#4 thefuzz

thefuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have it installed on my system. Currently running safestrap with.748 on safe side and Arctic on non-safe. Does not seem to be a big drain on battery, runs great in the background. Haven't used the features but for a free app, it's really useful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#5 psyjohn

psyjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

I ran it for a couple weeks on my phone. Every day it would pop up telling me my definitions were out of date but it would not update them. Since it was only going to run in an out of date format I decided to uninstall it. Be warned, if you are rooted uninstalling this app is not an easy process. I was never a big fan of Avast on PC and they have done nothing to win me over with Android either.

#6 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

I had it once before, prior to the official OTA. Got rid of it because it seemed to be causing random reboots on my phone - they stopped after I removed it. Giving it another try now though, as I have always liked their PC software.

#7 PetGhost

PetGhost

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

I don't use antivirus on my phone because I've never had a problem with malware. I know it's out there, but I don't feel threatened by it. Maybe i'm just ignorant.

#8 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

I do not use it for the same reasons as well as its 1 more thing to suck the life out of my battery.

Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#9 scottysize

scottysize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:scottysize
  • Google+:scottysize
  • LocationSanger, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Wifey and I have been using Zoner for this. So far it works great, but I did notice a slow down running Quadrant Standard. I went from a score of 2200 to a score of 1600. No noticeable decreases in performance, just the lower Quadrant scores.

RAZR No Longer.  Currently running the LG G2 and HTC One (M8)

Time for Moto to update the line!

#10 scottysize

scottysize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:scottysize
  • Google+:scottysize
  • LocationSanger, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

I take it back. Just ran Quadrant again, and it ran at 2216 after a reboot, so no problems with Zoner AV. I don't really worry about viruses, but I do like to block calls and Zoner gives you the ability to not only block incoming calls, but texts too. You can also block or unblock a number outgoing. An example would be that I don't want work calling me on my off day, so I block it, but I still want to be able to call in, so I unblock outgoing :P

RAZR No Longer.  Currently running the LG G2 and HTC One (M8)

Time for Moto to update the line!

#11 ericbee

ericbee

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:magicaldustman

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

I dont know that I need it. I PW protect my phone and encrypt it. Never had malware or a virus.

I do love Avast for home PC users though. I recommend it and install it for people regularly. There was just 1 time in the past 6 years of me recommending it that it did not find a particular variant, and almost everyone I know got it within a week. If one slips through and that many people were effected, than imagine how many things it was actually catching the rest of the time. These people have some bad browsing habbits.

I work in IT for a Fourtune 500, and I bet Avast would drop their pants to be able to say we are a customer, but we continue to use a crappy big name product that does next to nothing for malware. In fact, most people use McAfee and Norton which are both horrible at detecting malware. The only downside to Avast is that its a bit of a hog on the PC. I imgaine it would be on a phone as well, and it sounds like some people here have found that to be the case.

#12 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I used to use lookout.. Then I stumbled on this app (avast on my PC kept telling me to try this) so I tried it and uninstalled lookout.

It was nice, anti theft was among the best.. It even has built in firewall that is on par with Droid wall.. The anti theft writes into your room protected area, making it almost impossible to remove,dh even with a hard or soft reset, even formatting doesn't remove it.

Then I noticed the battery life is terrible.. my usage became double my usual batt usage, so removed it and reinstalled Droid wall and lookout.

then one day I replaced my frailty Sim with a new one.. All hell broke loose.. At least anti theft works even after I uninstalled avast. Had to reinstall avast, add my new Sim card into the trusted list..

Overall the only thing do not like about it, its the batt consumption.

Sent from my Motorola Razr XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#13 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've always been curious, how much of a performance impact does Avast carry on a phone? I've not been too concerned over AV for my phone, as even working in IT I've yet to find an infection that I can't trace back to the user doing something they shouldn't have.

I've been using it for a couple of days now. Probably one of the feature rich security apps out there. I started using it because I rooted my Razr last week and realized that root in essence by- passes all the built in security features in the phone required by the FCC and most corporations. So far I have not witnessed a significant drain on battery. After eighteen hours of phone on it register's 2% of battery used...and I have all features enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users