9 replies to this topic

#1 desdecardo

desdecardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I just got a Razr Maxx after my 2 year struggle with DXs and DX2s (thankfully all warranty replacements). Used to moding and roming those devices. I've read through as many of the topics here.

My phone came with 211 ICS on it. I tried going through the guides for safestrap, and looking through ICS based Roms. (On XDA first and found this community more helpful from going through all the forum posts)

Here are the Roms I have tried: Eclipse 1.2 for ICS (from both XDA and on the Eclipse Rom forums which that one specified which was based on 211 or not), Eclipse 1.3 for ICS (not released yet since Nitro hasnt written up the update for it but you can find it on the Eclipse 1.2 for ICS topic on the eclipse rom site). Currently trying Simplex V1.3 from this site.

I thought I was having an issue so I used Droid Razr Utilities 1.81 (downloaded 1.82) to do an sbf (is that what that does?) and root.

I go through the step by step for using Safestrap. Its in Safe mode. Wipe Date/Factory reset. Flash the rom from my external card. Then reboot.

What I have gotten is a black screen after reboot. I see the safestrap screen and select the boot function. Just get a black screen. I had Eclipse 1.2 and 1.3 both do this and Symplex. Eclipse 1.2 I had sit for 30 minutes (timed it) and 1.3 sat as long as it took for DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip to download (about 20 minutes.)

Is there any advice you guys can give me? I really like SimplexRom and how it looks. Want to get it going. Is the black screen normal? I read on another topic that its related to a Razr being on a GB release and trying to flash over an ICS rom. My device is on 211. I've checked it a few times and checked my phone info with the anything present I could find on these forums.

I know its possible to install these Roms. :) I just want to know if I am doing something wrong. It has to be a user error being that I am a total noob to the Razr. Oh... I also know its CDMA. Im on Verizon. In the phone info it states this. And Im in Safemode since it wont let me install a rom without being in Safemode.

Any help, links, etc would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance. (couldnt find a help topic on the razr forums)

Edited by desdecardo, 04 October 2012 - 10:25 PM.

~~Current Rom: Black Widow HDish~~

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

1. Make sure your phone isn't plugged in when you're booting up.

2. In recovery, go into "Mounts and Storage" and select "Format /system" BEFORE flashing a ROM.
  • desdecardo likes this

#3 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

I just got a Razr Maxx after my 2 year struggle with DXs and DX2s (thankfully all warranty replacements). Used to moding and roming those devices. I've read through as many of the topics here.

My phone came with 211 ICS on it. I tried going through the guides for safestrap, and looking through ICS based Roms. (On XDA first and found this community more helpful from going through all the forum posts)

Here are the Roms I have tried: Eclipse 1.2 for ICS (from both XDA and on the Eclipse Rom forums which that one specified which was based on 211 or not), Eclipse 1.3 for ICS (not released yet since Nitro hasnt written up the update for it but you can find it on the Eclipse 1.2 for ICS topic on the eclipse rom site). Currently trying Simplex V1.3 from this site.

I thought I was having an issue so I used Droid Razr Utilities 1.81 (downloaded 1.82) to do an sbf (is that what that does?) and root.

I go through the step by step for using Safestrap. Its in Safe mode. Wipe Date/Factory reset. Flash the rom from my external card. Then reboot.

What I have gotten is a black screen after reboot. I see the safestrap screen and select the boot function. Just get a black screen. I had Eclipse 1.2 and 1.3 both do this and Symplex. Eclipse 1.2 I had sit for 30 minutes (timed it) and 1.3 sat as long as it took for DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip to download (about 20 minutes.)

Is there any advice you guys can give me? I really like SimplexRom and how it looks. Want to get it going. Is the black screen normal? I read on another topic that its related to a Razr being on a GB release and trying to flash over an ICS rom. My device is on 211. I've checked it a few times and checked my phone info with the anything present I could find on these forums.

I know its possible to install these Roms. :) I just want to know if I am doing something wrong. It has to be a user error being that I am a total noob to the Razr. Oh... I also know its CDMA. Im on Verizon. In the phone info it states this. And Im in Safemode since it wont let me install a rom without being in Safemode.

Any help, links, etc would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance. (couldnt find a help topic on the razr forums)

step by step,wipe data-factory reset,wipe cache,mount-format system,advanced-wipe dalvek,then flash rom(and gapps,if necessary)then reboot
  • desdecardo likes this

#4 mind game

mind game

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yeah do NOT have your phone plugged in while you are booting or else you will be sad.

While in SafeStrap, much like stated above, scroll down to mounts and storage, scrool down to format:system and select. I personally Wipe Data, Wipe Cache partition, Wipe Dalvik, and Format System in that order out of habbit and have had no problems.

When you are feeling up to try out the CM 10 ROMs it gives you full jellybean experience with limitations in the forms of: MMS, Bluetooth, and a few other minor areas. (must have safestrap 2.11 installed, though - for more information about this, you can PM me)
  • desdecardo likes this

#5 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

the wipes aren't a personal thing,they are mandatory for any new rom install

#6 Maxxaholic

Maxxaholic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Make sure your on a current version of safe strap. First ROM I flashed came to black screen because I was on an old version.

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

#7 desdecardo

desdecardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for your quick replies. I think it might have been having it plugged in that did it. Its a learning curve. will post my results or successes later today.

#8 Maxxaholic

Maxxaholic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yup never flash while plugged in :) and always wipe, wipe, and wipe no one likes a dirty flash lol

#9 desdecardo

desdecardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yeah. That is what Im certain I did. Thanks for the advice. Got a rom going and loving it. Its easy once you find that bit of info. :) Used to my DX2 where I had to have it plugged into the wall outlet to use CM7 Recovery app and thought the Razr (without bothering to search) did the same thing with safestrap. Thanks for all your advice. Helped this poor noob out. :)

#10 Maxxaholic

Maxxaholic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

That's what we are here for. The devs and mods and admins and other flashaholics have helped me go from total noob to having a clue :)

• desdecardo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users