Photo

Droid Razr Nexus? Oh Google, You've (Maybe) Made Me The Happiest Fanboy Ever...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

AndroidPolice.com posted a story today sharing some of their server logs that showed some interesting things. First, they noticed that they have been seeing a fair amount of Android 4.2 builds pinging the site. Apparently (according to the build numbers) the build is, as of now, still named Jelly Bean.

Now this is what really gets me excited. Check out these server logs:

"
Linux; Android 4.2; occam Build/JOO92B
Linux; Android 4.2; occam Build/JOP04B
Linux; Android 4.2; occam Build/JOP04C
Linux; U; Android 4.2; en-us; occam Build/JOP03B
Linux; U; Android 4.2; en-gb; occam Build/JOP03B
Linux; U; Android 4.2; en-us; occam Build/JOP04
:

Notice the device codename of "Occam", as in Occam's Razor. Now Android Police did point out that all of the previous Nexus devices have had codenames related to sea creatures, but I am still going to hold onto hope. A Nexus Razr? Are you kidding me?

That would rectify literally everything we disliked about the Razr and Moto/Verizon. Check it:

"
Linux; Android 4.2; manta Build/JOP04C
Linux; Android 4.2; manta Build/JOP03
Linux; Android 4.2; manta Build/JOP05
"

- An unlockable bootloader
- No Blur
- No bloatware
- Immediate Updates
- Google controlled hardware

Yes please. But now scope these:

If you remember the Xoom had two different codenames, Stingray and Wingray; for the Verion edition and the WiFi edition. Now it is hard to deny the similarities there. And this codename is sea life related.

So what I/we are hoping we will find out later this month when Google announces the new Nexus device/s is confirmation of our new suspisions. This could be a great year for the Nexus program. What do you guys think? Do these theories hold any weight to you? Stoked? Tired?

Source:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
  • lownslow200sx and lightsword like this

:-D :-D

#2 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

We can only wish.

#3 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think the bigger question is will it be a *true* Nexus device or will Verizon continue trying to throw its weight around to keep control of everything.

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

4.2 is definitely still Jelly Bean, hence the "J" at the beginning of the software build. As for a Nexus RAZR, that would be nice but seeing as how 98% of the users here are on Verizon, I can promise you that this phone as well, will be locked up like 4 time felon going to court for murder and someone got him on video tape.

Verizon has completely lost me as a customer as soon as my contract is over. I'll be moving to either Straight Talk, Mobi (Local Hawaii Retailer), or maybe even T-Mo. Once this contract with VZW is up though, I will no longer have anything to do with them.

All this hype about these new phones coming out is really saddening because there is the initial shock "oh my god that phone sounds so awesome!!!! i want it i want it!!!" Then there is the realization, "this phone will be exactly like the RAZR unless I spend $700 on a developer edition." Which is something 70% of the users on this site cannot afford. We don't need developer edition phones for $700 with no warranty. We need an unlockable phone for the same price we would pay anywhere else.

All that being said, I'm not interested in this device and never will be.
  • mattlgroff, andlaw, DarkOverDroid and 1 other like this

#5 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think the bigger question is will it be a *true* Nexus device or will Verizon continue trying to throw its weight around to keep control of everything.

this is my issue as well.. i dont think ill ever EVER get a nexus device with verizon.. just for that fact.
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#6 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Well you guys are taking some encouraging blind assumptions and rumors very brightly.... ;)

But seriously hope its true and that it's coming to AT&T.
  • lightsword likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#7 Guest_rgocal_*

Guest_rgocal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

Interesting combination...Taking motorolas top seller and combining it with the googles top development device. That would equal a huge hit rate. But, This seems to be a little eh? if you know what I mean. Instead of getting creative and publishing new devices, the companys are improving on the devices that made the most money and creating smart phones that would have top advantage over all of them which in turn would recieve instant software updates from google making the top dogs of android devices.

#8 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Amen Hicks

Rockin' it with my Maxx, iKream and T-Talk

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Eh, like its been said Moto has been a serious letdown lately and if vzw is solely to blame (which I'm sure they are) then this news really doesn't excite me all that much. My VZW Gnex just got the Jelly Bean OTA a few weeks ago even though Google released it MONTHS AGO. Of course vzw had to "approve" the update. Which makes no sense because it's AOSP. It's not like vzw can put their bloat in there or Samsung is gonna put their touchturd overlay on it. What's to approve? It's just aggravating. I've used Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T and VZW all in my area over the last 5 years and I ALWAYS end up back with VZW because of the reliability and speed of the network. It's definitely a love-hate relationship. Mostly hate, but I can't imagine being back on one of the others again.

I don't know. As a whole I don't like where our whole scene is headed to begin with. Guarded Nexus devices, "developer" edition phones (with 500% markup), or the alternative - devices that take NSA encryption hackers to root. If things keep going this way, soon I'm gonna have to ask myself: is this even fun anymore? Might need a new hobby. Sucks but that's really how the providers are steering things.

Sent from my Nexus 7-Paranoid Android!
  • DarkOverDroid and lightsword like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#10 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

4.2 is definitely still Jelly Bean, hence the "J" at the beginning of the software build. As for a Nexus RAZR, that would be nice but seeing as how 98% of the users here are on Verizon, I can promise you that this phone as well, will be locked up like 4 time felon going to court for murder and someone got him on video tape.

Verizon has completely lost me as a customer as soon as my contract is over. I'll be moving to either Straight Talk, Mobi (Local Hawaii Retailer), or maybe even T-Mo. Once this contract with VZW is up though, I will no longer have anything to do with them.

All this hype about these new phones coming out is really saddening because there is the initial shock "oh my god that phone sounds so awesome!!!! i want it i want it!!!" Then there is the realization, "this phone will be exactly like the RAZR unless I spend $700 on a developer edition." Which is something 70% of the users on this site cannot afford. We don't need developer edition phones for $700 with no warranty. We need an unlockable phone for the same price we would pay anywhere else.

All that being said, I'm not interested in this device and never will be.

Google will not allow a Nexus device to be locked, even if it does make it to Verizon.

That being said, I would be highly surprised if Verizon gets another Nexus device any time soon if ever. The tension between the two was palpable, and the general consensus in the user base is that Verizon absolutely ruined what could have been one of the best Android devices of all time.

But I am done with Verizon as well. The recent "we can censor what we want because we own the internet we deliver" and forcing of shared data has sealed it. Luckily for me, AT&T just lit up their LTE network in San Diego a few months ago. If I can live without LTE however T-Mobile will be who gets my money from now on.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

:-D :-D

#11 jonwgee

jonwgee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Twitter:JonWGee
  • Google+:jonwgee
  • LocationDekalb IL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I seriously believe Big Red wants everyone to say F it and buy an iPhone

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
maxx

#12 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I think this is completely plausible. Google is doing what big companies do - slowly getting control of the entire supply chain. They bought Moto, and one of my thoughts at the time is that they use Moto to build internal devices that are completely proprietary, and let other manufacturers build their "vendor/third party" devices. Also, though much of the world will bow to what VZW wants, Google is too big and frankly, has a big enough ego (companies don't have egos, but you know what I mean) to say to VZW "We just made a phone that blows away every other phone on the planet. Take it like it is, or we'll just distribute it to all your competitors and lock you out." I'm not saying they would actually follow through, but if there's one entity that VZW probably doesn't want to play chicken with, Google is probably it. I know Voice has never created the VOIP structure that people really want, and that they gave in to the carriers on international, but to me they are just biding their time before they try to take over that part of the supply chain (which they will only be able to do if they leave that part wide open to competitors, or have a huge antitrust problem on their hands).

Just my two cents. All I know for sure is that Google continues to surprise me, despite its size, while VZW has gone from being a great company to being a big pain in the a$$.
  • lightsword likes this
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#13 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

This will be available for xmass. IF VZW picks it up . On the other hand Google might hold true , to there plan, to there plan to offer phones without having to purchase a plan. These phones also are rumored to be AFFORDABLE , now I can't explain what affordable is . I'm hoping 199-299, that makes it affordable to me.

Tapped from i595 or xt913

#14 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

I seriously believe Big Red wants everyone to say F it and buy an iPhone

You could buy a big red i phone. ;)
  • stealthmouse likes this

#15 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

You could buy a big red i phone. ;)

I'm pretty sure that if you connect those last two words together, DirtyDroidX will revoke your membership :D
  • mrmuggyd likes this
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#16 fullhouse131

fullhouse131

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Just because this may be a RAZR does not guarantee it will be on VZW RAZR is a Moto trademark. I have a bad feeling that we won't see another Nexus device on VZW. My only hope is Google sells these phones for all carriers directly at an affordable price.

#17 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Just because this may be a RAZR does not guarantee it will be on VZW RAZR is a Moto trademark. I have a bad feeling that we won't see another Nexus device on VZW. My only hope is Google sells these phones for all carriers directly at an affordable price.

Google's precedent is to only offer sim unlocked GSM devices. The CDMA-LTE variants (VZW/Sprint) have always come down from the carriers and for a whole lot more money. So yeah, I don't see them changing that even though they should. So that pigeon-holes you into going with T-Mobile, AT&T or one of the other GSM fly-by-night carriers.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users