23 replies to this topic

#1 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I've been researching the Droid Razr for days, and can not get solid answers to some basic questions.

I want a Droid Razr that will work on TMobile. That's all.

It appears that the TX910 and TX912 are original Droid Razrs. I gather that the 912 is Verizon only, and although ICS enables GSM, it's only for outside the US, however why isn't GSM, GSM? How do they lock out US carriers?

I haven't been able to find any solid information on what the 910 is.

The Droid Razr M does not seem to have 910 or 912 models. I haven't been able to determine whether the M will work in any way on TMobile. I know that phones for AT&T will not do 3G on TMobile because TMo uses non-standard frequencies (1700MHz), but I am counting on them building out HSPA+ in 1900MHz for high speed, because of the loss of 700,000 subscribers to the iPhone. And also the 700MHz freqs from AT&T given to TMo due to the failed merger, will help with LTE.

Also now that G**gle has bought Motorola, I'll bet they'll come out with some more compatible phones, although that will take a while. Some say 'go with a dev phone or go home'. But how the hell do you find/identify a dev phone? There is just no coherent source of information on these things.

I am willing to live with 2G on TMo for a couple months, as long as it leads to HSPA+ or LTE. Definitely want a hackable phone, as MIUI is the only ROM for me..

#2 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Buy a gem razr, or a RAZR i. I believe both of those will work on tmo
a what? an android? whats that?

#3 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Check out

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Really suggesting RAZR i from expansys-usa.com or clove.co.uk. They are the retail SIM unlocked models with unlockable bootloaders.

Mine is on 2G until the refarm hits my area

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#4 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Well it's good to know that some razr will work on TMo, as I suspected. But also as I suspected, only 2G until HSPA+ is farmed to Seattle. May already be, for all I know.

Looks like the i is equivalent to the razr M, except it doesn't have LTE.

But I can't afford $550 for a phone. My contract is up with TMo so I'll bet they'll help me with the cost, but probably not more than $100. I still can't afford it.

#5 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

What is the XT910? It's alot cheaper. Does it have HSPA+? Will it work on TMO?

#6 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

It appears that the TX910 and TX912 are original Droid Razrs. I gather that the 912 is Verizon only, and although ICS enables GSM, it's only for outside the US, however why isn't GSM, GSM? How do they lock out US carriers?

The Droid Razr M does not seem to have 910 or 912 models. I haven't been able to determine whether the M will work in any way on TMobile. I know that phones for AT&T will not do 3G on TMobile because TMo uses non-standard frequencies (1700MHz), but I am counting on them building out HSPA+ in 1900MHz for high speed, because of the loss of 700,000 subscribers to the iPhone. And also the 700MHz freqs from AT&T given to TMo due to the failed merger, will help with LTE. Any idea?

How the hell do you find/identify a dev phone? There is just no coherent source of information on these things.

#7 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

The Droid Razr M does not seem to have 910 or 912 models. I haven't been able to determine whether the M will work in any way on TMobile. I know that phones for AT&T will not do 3G on TMobile because TMo uses non-standard frequencies (1700MHz), but I am counting on them building out HSPA+ in 1900MHz for high speed, because of the loss of 700,000 subscribers to the iPhone. And also the 700MHz freqs from AT&T given to TMo due to the failed merger, will help with LTE. Any idea?

How the hell do you find/identify a dev phone? There is just no coherent source of information on these things.

The xt910 is the gsm RAZR. The xt912 is the Verizon RAZR, it is firmware locked and unable to be used on other us carriers. The razr m will be able to work on T-Mobile. Mattlegroff has one on tmo. The RAZR I will also work on tmo, off contract phones are expensive.

#8 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Oh! The M will work on TMo?

Well I guess it'll cost about the same as the i. It seems the i is the precursor of things to come, but as I understand there's alot it can't do yet.

I may be stuck with the XT910 for now, for reasons of cost. Any drawbacks to the 910, aside from 2G until HSPA+ gets farmed? Any idea when HSPA+ will come to Seattle?

#9 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

How do you find out if an M is the developer version?

Can any M be unlocked for TMo?

#10 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

It will say developer edition. And I think the m is unrootable. The I is much better than the m

#11 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

OK so the i on expansys is the developer edition?

Does the xt910 have to be the developer edition, or will any do, including the Maxx? Is the xt910 always overseas? If not, why don't carriers have it?

Floundering here...
I have much more technical questions but I'm hardly getting anywhere.

#12 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

If it does not say "developer edition", it is not a developer edition. The RAZR maxx xt910 will work. The RAZR I will work. Any phone that is gsm and has a sim card will work on tmo.

#13 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

If it does not say "developer edition", where? On the back cover? On the front? Inside?

Can an XT910 locked to Rogers, be unlocked? Does a Rogers XT910 have LTE?

I believe that TMobile has HSPA+ in Seattle, but is there any word what kind of LTE they will have? Surely something compatible with iPhone, as they've already lost 700,000 subscribers due to the iPhone.

#14 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

And all Razr i's have unlocked bootloaders. That RAZR m is for vzw only.

#15 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Go to a T-Mobile store and ask these questions. The lte sim will tell the phone which network to connect to.

#16 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

OK the TMobile store doesn't know anything.

Is there a forum somewhere where I can ask weird technical questions?

#17 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

The chatroom on this site has a lot of knowledgeable devas and people.

#18 Quantum

Quantum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, there's nobody there.

#19 sytema

sytema

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

so the question is the xt912 a gsm phone or not? i have one which it has a sim in it but when i put a tmobile it wont pick up signal and it will tell me that the sim is from an unknown source.. i want to be able to use this phone on orange dominicana gsm.

#20 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

so the question is the xt912 a gsm phone or not? i have one which it has a sim in it but when i put a tmobile it wont pick up signal and it will tell me that the sim is from an unknown source.. i want to be able to use this phone on orange dominicana gsm.

the xt 912 is cdma

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users