#1 nomadh

nomadh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationso ca

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Looks like the time is a coming and we want to be prepared. So, what should we do.
The HOB update seems to take a very long time unless you remove most of your multi media files. I hear a loaded bionic can take from 40 min to 10+ hours to update. I am making a guess that the OTA will install similarly. Also many people advocate doing some other sorts of house cleaning. From a power cycle to a cache clear to a full on factory reset.
Does anyone have a best practices, trade off to risk benefit list.
Maybe Samurai can chime in.
Calling Dr Bombay. Calling Dr Bombay. Come right away!

#2 welsalex

welsalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

For anyone in stock 905 it's easy. The simple and plain answer is have a charged battery before accepting the update. To decrease the wait on the media update during the install, remove all your music and videos. In my case I only had a few albums and just a few hundred pictures and recorded videos, the media update didn't take more than 10 mins for me (less actually). If you have a ton of music then move it off phone completely then put it back after the update is installed.

#3 welsalex

welsalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

To further and in, HoB is mainly for users to move between the leaks... it isn't needed for a ota install from stock 905.

#4 zirkdog

zirkdog

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

The HoB took me under 30 minutes to update from 905 to .246. That time was from when I plugged my phone into my computer, fired up the House, began flashing away, and ended when I re-booted into ICS. I also did an FDR in place of the recommended cache wipe as outlined by samurai. The update from .246 to .247 was about the same time wise.

I have a 16 gig card with about 12 gigs worth of music, vids, pics. My internal memory is basically empty with only apps and text msg pics.

DROID Bionic Jelly Bean via HoB.

#5 zoompastu

zoompastu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Took me about 10 minuets with RSDLite after I downloaded everything. This is a Safe and easy way to revert back to .905 as long as you are .232 or lower.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If you have .235 or higher and try to go back you will brick your phone.

#6 Wim

Wim

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'm on stock 905, but have it rooted. I have voodoo OTA root keeper installed.
Will I be safe and keep root?

#7 nomadh

nomadh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationso ca

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

Right , I'm wondering about the cache wipe or FDR (factory data reset). I know nothing is "required" except running the update but there seems to be a few problems I've read about and I'd like to skip those. When I update ,probably OTA at this point, I think I'll unload most of my mps, pix and vids. I was toying with clearing the cache as that seems to be fairly painless. I suppose the FDR is the safest bet for a truly clean upgrade but I dont know how much of a hassle getting everything back will be. Will the cache clearing get me to a 90% of FDR as far as skipping any problems? Whats the feeling on this?

#8 welsalex

welsalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm on stock 905, but have it rooted. I have voodoo OTA root keeper installed.
Will I be safe and keep root?

Yes you will. I installed the leaked 247 and after used voodoo to restore root. Worked fine for me

#9 nomadh

nomadh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationso ca

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

The Samuari HOB faq suggests temporarily removing many of your media files if you have a lot of them

From the HOB:

Q: I've finished the upgrade and now it's scanning my media files. How long does THAT take??
A: Ummm, how many you got? I can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 10+ hours. Posted Image BEFORE doing the upgrade, if you have a lot of media, you may wish to move them temporarily til the upgrade is finished.

. No one seems to have much to say about what "a lot" is. Some people are taking 10+ hours scanning files so I figure I'm going to move most of my mp3 vids and pictures off when I go to ics.

#10 djr4x4

djr4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:djr4x4

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

I stayed on 232 so I FXZed back to 905 and now I'm waiting.. (jeopardy music playing in the background)

#11 nomadh

nomadh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationso ca

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Di hear one report of 25+ gigs of media was taking over 15 hours. So far to be safe I plan to make sure I have less than a gig before I jump.

#12 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

If most of your media is on your sd card, would simply pulling it out for the upgrade work. I mean it would probably begin scanning when it was placed back in but by that time you could have everything else set up and let it scan overnight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#13 nomadh

nomadh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationso ca

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I was thinking that too but I am not sure that the upgrade might not use the ext sd. The HOB I believe does require the ext-sd . Maybe the safer way is to put in a smaller blank sd card during ota. I'm still woried about that for me because I moved a lot of my apps to my ext-sd.

#14 utshawn

utshawn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

If most of your media is on your sd card, would simply pulling it out for the upgrade work. I mean it would probably begin scanning when it was placed back in but by that time you could have everything else set up and let it scan overnight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

FYI. If you are using HoB, the media card is required. It holds the leak and has to access it

#15 utshawn

utshawn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Been a follower since Sam and sarge moved over from DF just had no time to post until now.

I myself am contemplating going down to .246 from .247. I know that Sam won’t support me if 'stuff hits the fan' but I have been running .247 for 2 weeks now and it is so awesome. At first it was sluggish but I let it run dry for a few days to get acclimated to this world it is like a new phone now. With moderate use, I get a day and a half on standard battery, it is smooth, 4G actually works better now, and so on. I just hate to touch it when it is firing on all cylinders. Yes, I know there are no differences in 247 and 246 except the JB patch in 247 but it is just the fact of updating it and then going through the same wiping cache, letting it run a few days to get better, etc that I don't want to do.

Is there a possibility that .247 comes out a month from now as the "pre- JB update" or will that likely be a seperate little small patch.

BTW, I have downloaded the .246 from HoB to go down to OTA path eventually but may just wait until I absolutely have to. I am not telling anyone else to do the same. I take full responsibility of anything I screw up by not going down to 246 now like Sam says to.

#16 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

Part Time Mountain Sage, Part Time Village Idiot

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 5

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Been a follower since Sam and sarge moved over from DF just had no time to post until now.

I myself am contemplating going down to .246 from .247. I know that Sam won’t support me if 'stuff hits the fan' but I have been running .247 for 2 weeks now and it is so awesome. At first it was sluggish but I let it run dry for a few days to get acclimated to this world it is like a new phone now. With moderate use, I get a day and a half on standard battery, it is smooth, 4G actually works better now, and so on. I just hate to touch it when it is firing on all cylinders. Yes, I know there are no differences in 247 and 246 except the JB patch in 247 but it is just the fact of updating it and then going through the same wiping cache, letting it run a few days to get better, etc that I don't want to do.

Is there a possibility that .247 comes out a month from now as the "pre- JB update" or will that likely be a seperate little small patch.

BTW, I have downloaded the .246 from HoB to go down to OTA path eventually but may just wait until I absolutely have to. I am not telling anyone else to do the same. I take full responsibility of anything I screw up by not going down to 246 now like Sam says to.

You're better off just jumping to 246.. trust me, HoB makes this absolutely painless!

Things to consider:
  • if you phone takes a deuce, you can have your phone show its face with 246 since it's the OTA - if the VZW employees check you and see 247, red flag, you're outa luck.
  • If there *is* (unlikely) going to be a pre-JB patch - said patch will be designed to go over 246, nothing else. So even to get that patch you'll need to go back to 246 and then more forward.
  • 246 already includes the JB patch, that's one thing that makes it so cool/interesting.
  • 246 and 247 had the same bugs - they were virtually carbon copy of each other (I ran both). It can be easily surmised that if a "fixer" build is released, it will 99% certain have a different build number than 247.
Ultimately though it's your choice. If you're hoping to gain something over running 246, you're not.
"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#17 utshawn

utshawn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

You're better off just jumping to 246.. trust me, HoB makes this absolutely painless!

Things to consider:

• if you phone takes a deuce, you can have your phone show its face with 246 since it's the OTA - if the VZW employees check you and see 247, red flag, you're outa luck.
  • If there *is* (unlikely) going to be a pre-JB patch - said patch will be designed to go over 246, nothing else. So even to get that patch you'll need to go back to 246 and then more forward.
  • 246 already includes the JB patch, that's one thing that makes it so cool/interesting.
  • 246 and 247 had the same bugs - they were virtually carbon copy of each other (I ran both). It can be easily surmised that if a "fixer" build is released, it will 99% certain have a different build number than 247.
Ultimately though it's your choice. If you're hoping to gain something over running 246, you're not.

as a preface, this is not to argue 247 or 246, it is just wondering what changed because I must have missed something. I thought the whole reason for .247 was that Moto was adding JB hooks into the code that .246 did not have. Now I see everyone posting that .246 is JB ready when just a couple of weeks ago .246 was not even capable of the upgrade.

at the end of the day, I will probably go to 246, I just don't want to right now b/c my phone is working so well and there will be that period of a few days where the phone will be sluggish.

#18 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I hear what you're saying but I didn't notice any sluggishness from 247 to 246 - But I pretty much just use tapatalk, twicca, reddit, gmail and camera. And my camera has pretty much always been sluggish so I'm not counting that (it's pretty slow to open half the time).

~Bionic .246 w/ SS3

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#19 无心草

无心草

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users