newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Now that root is available - and I'm assuming some Dev's will be dev'ing for rooted devices......... hoping actually!.........Question: Should TWO Development threads be started? One for each version?

If they are not truly the same, I'm sensing some possible bricking or at least issues arising. I'm waiting a few more days, then the new Razr HD MAXX will be mine - and I'm sure I might be one of the first to get confused!

Proud father of a US Marine

#2 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

dev editions are going to be different from retail editions. due the fact taht custom kernals can be made for the dev editions
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#3 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Would they still be the same for stock kernels? Or would the dev edition not even start off with the same kernel as the retail one?

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

might start off the same i mean anything for the retail version should work on the dev edition but the ones built for dev edition MAY not work on the retail

the big difference here is method of root and locked and unlocked bootloader making the ablity to do different things with a device.

also lets think about recoveries and how they might differ

there is a ton to consider and while im nto a dev i do understand some of what goes on.
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah that's what I was getting at. But didn't think about the recovery. Just thought if (and I don't really know why) but if there was a ROM developed on the dev edition with the stock kernel, it could be used for retail. My guess is they're going to be headed their own seperate way right off the bat. As much as I appreciate all the hard work that went into work arounds for recoveries for locked phones, I can't wait for the ease of use of a recovery on a unlocked device again.

Only time will tell.

#6 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm expecting very little exciting dev work for the retail versions. Hashcode and Dhacker have both shown they are willing to help anyone that takes the initiative to get some dev work done themselves, but it would seem like a waste of their time to personally focus on creating recoveries and solid bases for retail devices. Without them this community likely wouldn't even exist, so yeah... don't expect to need a retail thread.

As always for anyone that doesn't know it..

David Hacker a.k.a. @dhacker29
@Hashcode0f
Dan Rosenberg a.k.a. @djrblixx

These are three guys that most of the credit for our devices being as much as they are today. Without them we might still all be stuck on stock.

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

We need a working recovery for the Razr M/HD before we're gonna see any roms. What good is a rom you can't flash?? :blink:

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#8 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'm expecting very little exciting dev work for the retail versions. Hashcode and Dhacker have both shown they are willing to help anyone that takes the initiative to get some dev work done themselves, but it would seem like a waste of their time to personally focus on creating recoveries and solid bases for retail devices. Without them this community likely wouldn't even exist, so yeah... don't expect to need a retail thread. As always for anyone that doesn't know it.. David Hacker a.k.a. @dhacker29 @Hashcode0f Dan Rosenberg a.k.a. @djrblixx These are three guys that most of the credit for our devices being as much as they are today. Without them we might still all be stuck on stock.

Agreed

#9 marxman3

marxman3

• Developer
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

I disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users