• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ok guys, I currently own a razr maxx. I am debating if I want to trade it for a galaxy nexus. If any of you have owned both could you help me out with deciding if I should trade or if I should just stick with what I've got. Is the unlocked bootloader better to have than the extra battery/ do the radios on the nexus come close to Motorola's?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

#2 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

The Maxx has a better battery, and I would wait for a new nexus since they will be out very soon now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • leviwg likes this

#3 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

The Maxx has a better battery, and I would wait for a new nexus since they will be out very soon now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm excited to see the new one, I was just debating whether I could trade and get a little cash and get a taste of nexus. I've never owned one and I'm curious if it will be better than a maxx

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm excited to see the new one, I was just debating whether I could trade and get a little cash and get a taste of nexus. I've never owned one and I'm curious if it will be better than a maxx

I went from a Maxx to a Gnex and I can tell you first hand the battery life is not the same. HOWEVER, it's all around a better phone in my opinion. So much development, better looking display, seems so much faster, JB with everything working. I can honestly say that after having this phone, I'll never go back to Moto or a locked up phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • leviwg likes this

#5 lthelwpn

lthelwpn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

I left the Nexus for the Maxx, only reason was the poor signal I was getting with the Nexus. If I would have had better signal I would still have the Nexus!!!!!

Sent from my Droid Razr using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#6 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes and let me add, I noticed actually a BETTER signal strength with the Gnex, than I did with the Maxx. I don't get very good signal at home, I usually got around -100dBm on 3G with the Maxx. With the Gnex I get around -89dBm on 3G.

#7 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I went from a Maxx to a Gnex and I can tell you first hand the battery life is not the same. HOWEVER, it's all around a better phone in my opinion. So much development, better looking display, seems so much faster, JB with everything working. I can honestly say that after having this phone, I'll never go back to Moto or a locked up phone.

I'll up you up on that one and include I'll never buy a phone with an internal battery again. Removable batteries are cheap and easy to swap out if needed.

#8 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm, it's hard to decide. I've been reading online and I've read great and horrible things about the nexus. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and get a phone I can't get signal on or that will easily break. At the same time I'd love to play with that unlocked boot loader

#9 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'll up you up on that one and include I'll never buy a phone with an internal battery again. Removable batteries are cheap and easy to swap out if needed.

Yep, forgot all about throwing that in there. The only downside in my opinion is no external sdcard. I have a 32GB Gnex though and there's really no need for external storage anyway.

#10 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hmmm, it's hard to decide. I've been reading online and I've read great and horrible things about the nexus. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and get a phone I can't get signal on or that will easily break. At the same time I'd love to play with that unlocked boot loader

I completely understand, I was cautious at first too. Now that I have it, I'm never looking back. I'm extremely happy with signal, never dropped a call yet in the week that I've had it.

#11 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I completely understand, I was cautious at first too. Now that I have it, I'm never looking back. I'm extremely happy with signal, never dropped a call yet in the week that I've had it.

how has life been adjusting to the battery change?

#12 adrenalinemotion

adrenalinemotion

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I currently own both phones. Here's a few of my thoughts and opinions;

I like the display on the nexus better.

The maxx blows the nexus (and most other phones) out of the water when it comes to battery life.

My maxx had better signal strength, but I'm learning to just deal with it on the nexus.

If you have any questions, please ask.

#13 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

how has life been adjusting to the battery change?

It's less battery life but it's really not that bad at all. I still get about 17-19 hours of battery life with moderate use.

I should add too, a lot of people think the signal strength is indicated by how many bars they have, that's not the case. The signal bars indicate your distance to the nearest tower.

#14 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Well I bought my maxx in May and haven't had it out of a case. (Except to change cases). I've got the otter box defender, a blue trident case, a white dualtek case, not to mention all the original packaging. What kind of trade should I be asking for?

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Well I bought my maxx in May and haven't had it out of a case. (Except to change cases). I've got the otter box defender, a blue trident case, a white dualtek case, not to mention all the original packaging. What kind of trade should I be asking for?

Gnex + $50 or $75 would be fair.

#16 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Ok, thanks man. I may try my luck and see what happens

#17 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Like Hicks said, the Gnex is no maxx...BUT! Owning one jaded me. It made me HATE the what moto/vzw has done to us with the locked bootloader. It's sad but true, owning a GNex made me sell my Razr and my GNex together and go out and buy a SSGS3 (also unlockable). And now I can say, I've never been more satisfied. If it can't be unlocked, it's not gonna be in my pocket from here on. If Moto can't grow a set and tell VZW that they need to back off then sadly, if there's nothing out there for me after my SSGS3 reaches end of life...then I will move to a different carrier. VZW, you do it to yourself.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#18 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

So it's the sgs 3 better to have than the nexus since it is also unlockable?

#19 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

So it's the sgs 3 better to have than the nexus since it is also unlockable?

Honestly yes the SGS3 is better than the Gnex, but be ready to throw to some cash on top of your Maxx if you want to trade for one.

#20 newms323

newms323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Honestly yes the SGS3 is better than the Gnex, but be ready to throw to some cash on top of your Maxx if you want to trade for one.

I may be able to pull it off. People around here do some crazy trades. Someone I know just traded their iPhone 4 for a s3 straight up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users