• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

I have been waiting patiently for OTA and it finally showed up on my phone today. I used Titanium backup to unfreeze all the verizon bloatware so it was right where it was supposed to be for the update. I also used OTA root keeper to un root the phone. I then accepted the OTA twice and both failed. On the screen the box is open and the little android guy is standing beside it. When the status bar gets about 1/4 of the way across the open box changes to a triangle with an exclamation point and the phone reboots back to 905 and says update failed. I am not sure what to do now. I want to get my phone up to ICS. Thanks!

#2 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,480 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've moved this to its own thread as it didn't belong in the House of Bionic thread.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#3 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Sounds good. I am not sure what to do now or even begin to know what is wrong with the update. I remember last time doing the OTA 905 update some time ago and everything being fine using rootkeeper. Not sure what is up now.

#4 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

I just downloaded it again from my wifi to make sure the file came through well. It has failed a 3rd time with the same thing. 1/4 of the way through the status bar below the box open next to the android guy and the box turns into a triangle with an exclamation mark. Would I have better luck with HoB. I can follow directions or will the Hob fail too since I am having an issue with OTA?

#5 d2l

d2l

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

When I applied the first leak several months ago, I was unable to apply the update due to frozen bloatware even after unfreezing. I would highly recommend using the HOB to install the update, or if you want to do it the long and difficult way, you can FXZ to .905 so that your phone has a stock image.

#6 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Will HoB overlook the condition you are detailing and lay down the update?

#7 d2l

d2l

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have had no issues moving from one version to the next on HOB with frozen apps due to the mini-FXZ method Sam uses in his script. The best part: no data loss.

#8 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have been avoiding HoB because I am a relative noob to phone hacking but it seems that as long as you read twice and follow every step exactly as he laid it out it will work

#9 d2l

d2l

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

It is very simple. READ everything. Follow the instructions. Don't skip anything, and it will work perfectly.

#10 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ok, I went HoB and everything is good. I still have no idea why the OTA kept failing but I am good now.

#11 JStrider

JStrider

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm in a similar boat.... .905, unfroze everything using TI backup... tried the update... no go... unrooted using OTA, and still no go. Factory reset... still no go...

I'd be happy with doing the factory reset if it had helped... but it didnt... so now I'm just irritated...

Guess I'll try HoB... wish I hadnt held out now...

#12 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm in a similar boat.... .905, unfroze everything using TI backup... tried the update... no go... unrooted using OTA, and still no go. Factory reset... still no go...

I'd be happy with doing the factory reset if it had helped... but it didnt... so now I'm just irritated...

Guess I'll try HoB... wish I hadnt held out now...

Just do me a favor when you use HoB. Read, read, read, and read some more lol. It is a great tool!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#13 d2l

d2l

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

It is great, and yes, read. Unfortunately, the FDR and the unfreezing process will not prevent the update from failing. Use HoB, and use it wisely.

#14 digitalr0gue

digitalr0gue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Ok, I went HoB and everything is good. I still have no idea why the OTA kept failing but I am good now.

It's been my experience (FWIW) that the phone system has to be pristine to accept an OTA, meaning you'd need a clean FXZ on 905. Personally, I just used HoB. Why wait?
I've never met a warranty I couldn't void.

#15 JStrider

JStrider

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Just do me a favor when you use HoB. Read, read, read, and read some more lol. It is a great tool!

yeah, I read, all the HoB and HoB FAQ... seemed pretty straightforward... but I managed to mess something up... followed the instructions, hit any key to advance it, and after a while it did its thing and turned off, now when it boots up I can hear the boot sequence, but just get a blank screen... and the computer sees the drives on the phone... I am able to boot into stock recovery and AP fast boot... but I dont see what I'm supposed to do there. I saw in old posts talk about storing the update file on the sd-ext... but didnt see any discussion of that in the recent posts... any Idea where I went wrong... looks like Samurai isnt really supporting it any more... and I feel bad for becoming one of those tards...

#16 d2l

d2l

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Need a little bit more detail. There are several steps in the process. Where did you tell it to advance and what did your on screen prompts tell you to do at that point?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

#17 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

yeah, I read, all the HoB and HoB FAQ... seemed pretty straightforward... but I managed to mess something up... followed the instructions, hit any key to advance it, and after a while it did its thing and turned off, now when it boots up I can hear the boot sequence, but just get a blank screen... and the computer sees the drives on the phone... I am able to boot into stock recovery and AP fast boot... but I dont see what I'm supposed to do there. I saw in old posts talk about storing the update file on the sd-ext... but didnt see any discussion of that in the recent posts... any Idea where I went wrong... looks like Samurai isnt really supporting it any more... and I feel bad for becoming one of those tards...

Depending on when you did it Sam updated the installer. Make sure you are on the newest one and run it again.

#18 JStrider

JStrider

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

well there were a half dozen or so press any key to continue points while it was loading stuff, just told it to continue when it seemed like the phone cycled and was waiting again, it didnt seem clear when I was supposed press any key.

#19 JStrider

JStrider

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I used 9.0, looks like thats still the most recent.

#20 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I used 9.0, looks like thats still the most recent.

Check out Sams last post on the HoB thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users