#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm starting this thread because I have been charged with creating a new section for the boards. A downloads section. The idea behind this is that fastboot files, root methods, leaks, tools, apps, utilities all that good stuff will now be able to be kept in a static location with links hosted by Droidrzr so we will no longer have to A) search all over the place for something and finally not run into dead links or obnoxious mirrors. This will not be for roms. Devs will still be responsible for their rom threads. I have already started making the framework for this new section and I personally have a boat load of these files stored on my computer locally, the rest I hope be able to locate.

The purpose of this thread is for me to accomplish a few things:

Get some ideas from everyone who will be using the new downloads forum. Maybe there's things I haven't thought of. What should be included? What's important to everyone? Let's all brainstorm together.

If anyone has an amazing collection of files, please PM me. I have a bunch of stuff for the OG Razr, but not much for the newer devices and if anyone has a nice selection of Bionic stuff, please contact me. I'd appreciate it.

But yeah, INPUT! That's the purpose of this thread. I hope (granted my house doesn't float away with Hurricane Sandy) to have the whole thing up and running this week. Thank you all for your help!
  • lightsword likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Did it, done it, lived it, left it.

All in all it is a great idea. And in all reality, I still would be doing it on

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but unfortunately with all the ROM downloads and all of Matt's utilities, I was hitting a PetaByte a month. Every forum that exists will be pointing to direct file links (hotlinking) and your bandwidth will SkyRocket and what will you (the site) gain from it?

Now, if you were to use the site donations, you could easily pay for a dedicated server. I believe GoDaddy has them for about $40 a month (very low end, but feasible just for a download box) As long as you do not run this site along with the download repos, you should not get HTTP 500 errors on the site. I'm not sure if GoDaddy still hosts this site, but you're only allowed 600 concurrent connections via shared hosting, and overtime, you will reach that with a download section, and unfortunately, it will be coming from more than one site, more than one country, and more than one continent. :)

But I do like the idea, u can call it, RomBot, or XBot, or RzrBot. :)

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

It is my understanding the site is on a dedicated server. GoDaddy just handles the DNS. Rom downloads will not be hosted here, devs will be hosting their own roms and maintaining their own threads as usual. It is not our intention to step on any toes. We feel we will gain the ability to afford the members with a reliable source to find easily the files and tools they need. That's the motivation though. And for the record...we're not rombot or rombot 2 or anything else, WE ARE DROIDRZR..ARGGG!!! lol :D
  • Gytole likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#4 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Did it, done it, lived it, left it.

All in all it is a great idea. And in all reality, I still would be doing it on

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but unfortunately with all the ROM downloads and all of Matt's utilities, I was hitting a PetaByte a month. Every forum that exists will be pointing to direct file links (hotlinking) and your bandwidth will SkyRocket and what will you (the site) gain from it?

Now, if you were to use the site donations, you could easily pay for a dedicated server. I believe GoDaddy has them for about $40 a month (very low end, but feasible just for a download box) As long as you do not run this site along with the download repos, you should not get HTTP 500 errors on the site. I'm not sure if GoDaddy still hosts this site, but you're only allowed 600 concurrent connections via shared hosting, and overtime, you will reach that with a download section, and unfortunately, it will be coming from more than one site, more than one country, and more than one continent. :)

But I do like the idea, u can call it, RomBot, or XBot, or RzrBot. :)

X

Being is that I do the server maintenance. I can tell you we could put all of XDA's roms on are server and it would run with out skipping a beat. Oh and we do have a dedicated server!
  • Narffran likes this

#5 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Oh and we do have a dedicated server!

Thought so, thank you

#6 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Would get too chaotic and organized in my opinion... the sections now seem to work. If it ain't broken... ya know?

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#7 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

...consolidating the downloads from the entire site is a good idea (and hopefully it works as planned).....how will that work for those of us that upload utilities etc? Will we no longer upload to places such as dev-host, 4shared, mediafire etc.etc and just upload directly to [*whatever the DROIDRZR server will be*]? ... and the links in each of the forums/threads will point to the new downloads section?......

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#8 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

...consolidating the downloads from the entire site is a good idea (and hopefully it works as planned).....how will that work for those of us that upload utilities etc? Will we no longer upload to places such as dev-host, 4shared, mediafire etc.etc and just upload directly to [*whatever the DROIDRZR server will be*]? ... and the links in each of the forums/threads will point to the new downloads section?......

I personally would like to talk directly to anyone who has any stuff like that that they would like included in the downloads area. The site has a metric ton worth of storage and whats most important at this juncture is usability and reliability. I haven't gone over the details with DDX and Thach about user uploads, at this point we are just trying to get it off the ground with the most basic files that people use on an every day basis. But there is certainly room to grow! This is a beta pilot project. But the ultimate objective is for all the members to have a centralized, reliable place to grab what the need the most.
  • NWKENT likes this

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Would get too chaotic and organized in my opinion... the sections now seem to work. If it ain't broken... ya know?

How can something be both chaotic and organized at the same time? Aren't they antonyms? The sections that exist will still exist. This isn't going to be a place for support. Just downloads, and including links to their appropriate support threads. The system may not be broken, but all too often the links are.

#10 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I personally would like to talk directly to anyone who has any stuff like that that they would like included in the downloads area. The site has a metric ton worth of storage and whats most important at this juncture is usability and reliability. I haven't gone over the details with DDX and Thach about user uploads, at this point we are just trying to get it off the ground with the most basic files that people use on an every day basis. But there is certainly room to grow! This is a beta pilot project. But the ultimate objective is for all the member to have a centralized, reliable place to grab what the need the most.

....so will this be basically to give members a choice as to where they DL some of the most important items such as Matt's utility (any version) ? .... Either from the individual threads or from the download section.......??

jhf.png

#11 AscensionX

AscensionX

Code Breaker

• Developer
  • 363 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have a ton of stuff and have some experience with organizing things like this. I would definitely like to talk more with you about this and go over some ideas that I have.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#12 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

How can something be both chaotic and organized at the same time? Aren't they antonyms? The sections that exist will still exist. This isn't going to be a place for support. Just downloads, and including links to their appropriate support threads. The system may not be broken, but all too often the links are.

Having a section for every single device inside the download section, or just a download section for everything jumbled together?

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#13 Guest_rgocal_*

Guest_rgocal_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Do it

#14 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I Like the idea, Especially for the older stuff where the links are not used often, what I had to do for helping people was collect all the older stuff and throw it on my FTP for someone who needs it in a Jam, it's been needed about 15 times I believe.. I think this is a good idea for anything that isn't currently the most up to date active threads. I am thinking Archived Downloads section? From a support standpoint this would be handy, but, would there be some way to avoid people downloading before they read, so they are not just downloading the wrong utility etc?

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#15 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I Like the idea, Especially for the older stuff where the links are not used often, what I had to do for helping people was collect all the older stuff and throw it on my FTP for someone who needs it in a Jam, it's been needed about 15 times I believe.. I think this is a good idea for anything that isn't currently the most up to date active treads. I am thinking Archived Downloads section? From a support standpoint this would be handy, but, would there be some way to avoid people downloading before they read, so they are not just downloading the wrong utility etc?

I think that is one of my concerns is tgat people may blindly DL from the downloads section.... then flood the forums with "why aint it working" questions.....

jhf.png

#16 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Having a section for every single device inside the download section, or just a download section for everything jumbled together?

I think a thread for each device with a list of the different files in the OP would work fine.
What do we have here, a dozen devices?
12 threads in a forum isn't hard to look through.
A few of us moderators could each grab a thread and keep the OP's up to date with utilities, root methods etc.
It also removes the burden of hosting stuff off of people like you who are always making great new utilities for our phones.
Sounds like a great idea to me.
  • satman80 likes this

#17 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

+1

#18 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

There will be links to the appropriate support threads as well.

#19 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

There will be links to the appropriate support threads as well.

+1

jhf.png

#20 JoJoLanny

JoJoLanny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well... all I know is.... a consolidated download thread would be nice, but what about each dev having his own thread with any and all downloads they have developed? Each dev would, of course, I hate to state the obvious, just be responsible for that thread? Either way, I think it would be easier on the developers. But the "rescue" guys.... would they still have to monitor ALL of the threads for help based questions? I think the idea is awesome!!!
I have a fever..... and the only cure..... is more cowbell!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users