#1 firefly

firefly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hey There!

As tablets are getting smaller and phones bigger, do you think we will soon see some 6 inch "phablets"?
How much would they probably be? Would you consider this size a tablet or a phone?
What would you expect of such a device?

personally, i'd love to have a 6" tablet. With google selling the nexus7 at about 200$, they could be very inexpensive and function as a home-remote. That being said i could spare the 3g/4g-module but instead have a infrared-transmitter control the TV or the Stereo with it.

so, what do you think?

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Sony has IR transmitters in some of there tablets but the market as a whole just hasn't cared. 6" is an odd size. It would be suited for keeping on a coffee table, but too large to pocket. Too small for convenient web browsing, but good for multimedia. I think it would end up as an extremely niche device and not be successful enough large scale to ever expect much saving compared to the already successful 7" market.

#3 firefly

firefly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

wasn't that steve jobs' argument against 7inchers?

#4 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

The overseas galaxy tab 7 had cellular capability.

#5 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

wasn't that steve jobs' argument against 7inchers?

Your point? Jobs was a brilliant man (and I'm saying this as an Apple hater), but one of his largest flaws/strengths was thinking he knew what the customer wanted without them knowing. Because of this he was able to define new segments because he released things people didn't even know they wanted, but he also held out on things (like increasing the iphone size) using the same logic.

All Snives is saying is it's a very niche market...basically just for your application. I honestly don't see the point in a 7" tablet, or really anything smaller than 8", but it meets some people's needs/budget. At 6" there's no way I could justify buying it, when I already have a 4.3" (soon to be 4.7") phone, and that's along the same lines as him saying it's an odd size. There's enough of a difference between ~4.5 to 7 to justify for some, but not enough between 4.5 to 6. Moto's lapdocks are brilliant but didn't take off enough for it to be financially reasonable.

#6 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Your point? Jobs was a brilliant man (and I'm saying this as an Apple hater), but one of his largest flaws/strengths was thinking he knew what the customer wanted without them knowing. Because of this he was able to define new segments because he released things people didn't even know they wanted, but he also held out on things (like increasing the iphone size) using the same logic.

All Snives is saying is it's a very niche market...basically just for your application. I honestly don't see the point in a 7" tablet, or really anything smaller than 8", but it meets some people's needs/budget. At 6" there's no way I could justify buying it, when I already have a 4.3" (soon to be 4.7") phone, and that's along the same lines as him saying it's an odd size. There's enough of a difference between ~4.5 to 7 to justify for some, but not enough between 4.5 to 6. Moto's lapdocks are brilliant but didn't take off enough for it to be financially reasonable.

Exactly :)

Now... if Moto went with Asus's design instead of the Lapdock I think we would all be using our phones in 10 different formats.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Now... if Moto went with Asus's design instead of the Lapdock I think we would all be using our phones in 10 different formats.

That is cool!

#8 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Neat! But if your talking $616 for the 16GB or $750 for the 64GB "phone" then another $307 for the "Tablet" dock, then another (guessing here) $150 for the keyboard (if its like other transformer keyboards).. YOUCH! thats high for a tablet and phone. heh

BTW, I almost fell out of my chair as I was scrolling down the asus website and saw this pic. I think this has to be one of the best "booth babes" I've ever seen. Well Done Asus!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users