8 replies to this topic

#1 DroidAddict101

DroidAddict101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBinghamton

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

So unfortunately my car doesn't have a aux input so I'm looking for some help . After a few google/amazon searches I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Basically I'm hoping to find a car dock that will charge my og razr maxx while streaming music from it (via FM transmitter) to the car stereo.

Anybody seen anything like this? or know the next best thing I could do?

Thanks in advance

#2 sherri

sherri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:sherri64
  • LocationMy own personal hell....

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

The fm transmitter I have gets plugged in to the phone headphone jack, and into the cars "lighter". It has a USB Jack on the piece that goes into lighter, so phones charger (take off ac adapter) can fit in in there, and micro port goes into phone to charge as normal. I use a universal dock.

The dock by Motorola will charge phone. Again, fm transmitter goes into headphone jack.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Disappointed and hurt. Not surprised.

#3 DroidAddict101

DroidAddict101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBinghamton

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ok cool thanks

#4 subzero2000

subzero2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

The option I chose to use was using the Motorola Car Dock for my Razr MAXX, and using a bluetooth FM transmitter (specifically, the Plantronics K100 [plt_k100]). It works overall fairly well, but I've had a few Android devices in my time, and have found bluetooth to be occasionally flakey (my Thunderbolt had the occasional habit of rebooting while paired to it), but usually acceptable. It also provided a microphone so I can take phone calls as well as stream Pandora, Soundcloud, or whatever (though obviously anyone listening to my frequency (and no, I'm not telling ... :)) can listen to at least the other side of the phone call, though I imagine they'd have to be fairly close to pull that off). Since most of the time I'm using it for music streaming on my hour work commute, it's acceptable for me.

#5 DroidAddict101

DroidAddict101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBinghamton

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

The option I chose to use was using the Motorola Car Dock for my Razr MAXX, and using a bluetooth FM transmitter (specifically, the Plantronics K100 [plt_k100]). It works overall fairly well, but I've had a few Android devices in my time, and have found bluetooth to be occasionally flakey (my Thunderbolt had the occasional habit of rebooting while paired to it), but usually acceptable. It also provided a microphone so I can take phone calls as well as stream Pandora, Soundcloud, or whatever (though obviously anyone listening to my frequency (and no, I'm not telling ... :)) can listen to at least the other side of the phone call, though I imagine they'd have to be fairly close to pull that off). Since most of the time I'm using it for music streaming on my hour work commute, it's acceptable for me.

Don't you need bluetooth in your car to use the bluetooth transmitter?

Also does anyone have any sites I should check out?

Amazon is a mess for me to go through and when I do find what I'm looking for the reviews aren't so hot.

#6 subzero2000

subzero2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Don't you need bluetooth in your car to use the bluetooth transmitter?

Also does anyone have any sites I should check out?

Amazon is a mess for me to go through and when I do find what I'm looking for the reviews aren't so hot.

No, the car does not have to have bluetooth built into it. You pair your phone to the PLT K100 like any other bluetooth device, and tune your radio to one of the unused frequencies in your area in the (limited) range of frequencies it supports, and voila, you're in business. The combination I use would work in any car with an FM Radio.

As for sites, I bought my Plantronics at Verizon just because I was looking for something like it based on desire, and not based on any reviews I'd read, because the thing was pretty new at the time.

As for reviews of the PLT K100, you will probably find mixed reviews on it (just being honest). I'd love to find something with a greater frequency range, as the limited frequency ranges it supports in my area already have radio station overlap that is sometimes strong enough to overpower the signal from the Plantronics, but the same is likely true of any bluetooth FM transmitter.

As for links, here are some:

Plantronics K100 owner's manual:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Link to it on Amazon:

Motorola Droid RAZR Car Dock (not sure if the MAXX will fit this one or not, but mine looks like it; again, I got mine from Verizon):

Also, my wife has a Motorola Droid Roadster Bluetooth FM transmitter, and she likes that. She has a Droid Razr MAXX as well, and I've use my MAXX with both, and they both perform well. The only thing about one over the other is that the Roadster's voice prompts are male and not overly pleasant (though you get used to it), and the Plantronics voice prompts are female and much more pleasant; of course, that's my opinion, your experience may likely be different.

#7 DroidAddict101

DroidAddict101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBinghamton

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the very informative post. Much Appreciated :)

#8 priddyma

priddyma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDeKalb, IL
  • Current Device(s):HTC One XL, Motorola DROID RAZR

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

This dash mounted on works surprisingly well for me:

The gel sticks very well to the phone but doesn't leave a lot of residue. Held my phone going over speed tables at 30 mph.
DROID RAZR XT912 Batakang JB | Samsung Galaxy SIII Pebble Blue - On the way!

#9 cmorty72

cmorty72

Breaking, bending, and fixing things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Twitter:z00mer
  • Google+:Christopher
  • LocationIn front of my p.c. or on my Razr HD Maxx
  • Current Device(s):Moto Razr Maxx HD 32G

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

As far as FM transceivers go, the GOgrove Flexsmart X2 Advanced is awesome! I picked one up from Amazon last week, and it has done a fantastic job connecting my Razr via BT or in-line to the HU of my Mazda 6's Bose system. And by using the BT function there is virtually no static when tunes are playing.

As for car docks, I just use the Moto Razr cardock offered by Verizon. It does the job.
USN 1996-2007, OS1 (SW/AW/VBSS)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users