Photo

Is A Razr To Razr Maxx Conversion Kit A Pipedream?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 jmp485

jmp485

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Twitter:jmp485

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Strongly doubt that such a thing is possible but figured I would run it past you guys to see what you thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#2 dipsetdiplomat

dipsetdiplomat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

It shouldn't even be necessary if the only thing different is the battery.

#3 jmp485

jmp485

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Twitter:jmp485

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

That's what i'm getting at. A replacement battery and back to give a standard Razr the same battery from the Maxx

#4 dipsetdiplomat

dipsetdiplomat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Maybe from Motorola bit I know there's a topic that links to a website willing to make the battery replacement for you if enough people are interested.

#5 busab

busab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

I was thinking i might see if I could get a busted Maxx off eBay for cheap and see if I could use the battery and back cover on my Razr.

Sent from my Droid Razr using yo moma.

#6 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Might work - the area the battery sits in may be different though, so you never know.

#7 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

Why do i have a weird feeling that moto changed something very minor to make this impossible? Like change the screw position or something to make sure we had to rebuy...maybe ive just lost faith in moto lately.

• Nubia1 likes this

#8 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Why do i have a weird feeling that moto changed something very minor to make this impossible? Like change the screw position or something to make sure we had to rebuy...maybe ive just lost faith in moto lately.

We all have since they lied about unlocking bootloaders. ;)

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#9 Nubia1

Nubia1

JUST A COOL OLD GUY WHO LIKES ANDROID

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,Ohio
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD/ OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

i hate to admit it but i have to agree with you as well.... way too much sneakie bull sh*t

#10 Nubia1

Nubia1

JUST A COOL OLD GUY WHO LIKES ANDROID

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,Ohio
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD/ OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

i hate to admit it but i have to agree with you as well.... way too much sneakie bull sh*t

#11 Greaser

Greaser

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@MattScarSr
  • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

ehhh, where theres a will, theres a way, now where did I put my duct tape! :D

#12 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

If moto was smart they would sell this conversion kit. Everyone knows the money is in the accessories!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

#13 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

If moto was smart they would sell this conversion kit. Everyone knows the money is in the accessories!

That would involve breaking the seals on the phone. Void warranty, damage the waterproofing, etc etc. It'd be nice but I don't see it happening.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#14 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

in my ranting to people at verizon and moto about the "stab in the back" I requested a conversion service be made available. The moto guy said he'd "pass it along" which means nothing of course.

#15 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

This sounds discouraging! I was hoping for some kind of exchange or conversion kit as well. I knew I should have waited to buy it in the first place, because something new and improved would be out shortly after. It was just sooo tempting I couldnt wait! Heres to holding out a tiny bit of hope!

#16 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

That would involve breaking the seals on the phone. Void warranty, damage the waterproofing, etc etc. It'd be nice but I don't see it happening.

Pay $100 to send it back to moto for install? Unlikely I'm sure but I would do it.

#17 SmokeNMirrors

SmokeNMirrors

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:SmokeNMirrors
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD Unlocked BL

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

I'm hoping it will be possible. It would be much more efficient manufacturing process to keep the front portions the same but as folks have mentioned Moto could easily make a change to prevent an upgrade. Once spare parts are available we'll get a definitive answer. Fingers crossed!

#18 Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter:@andrewblitch

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have been VERY interested in this. I just got my RAZR last saturday, the day after the Maxx came out. I would really have liked the Maxx, but I got it for free from Verizon after having 4 replacement Charge's, so I'm not complaining, its a much nicer phone. Anyway, I don't see any way to get the Maxx unless I burn an upgrade, but I could REALLY use more battery life. I have a pretty dynamic schedule, and had two extra batteries and a wall charger I got for my Charge that really extended its life without having to bring my charger everywhere.

I have found it seems to last longer than the Charge, and much longer with light usage. If I just check my email a few times, pull up an article or two, make a few calls and texts, it lasts all day. I got a hair over 19 hours yesterday doing just that. But today when using it for about two and a half hours of web browsing and emails, a few texts, a single call, and two Youtube videos, I was down to 15 percent in 5.5 hours. I understand that it will drain much faster with the screen on for long periods of time, and that gaming, videos, and streaming music on LTE will drain it alot, I still need a solution. I want to know I can do those things that this phone does so well without having to plan for an hour and a half of charging right after to make it through the rest of the day. I'm used to having an extra battery in my pocket, allowing me to watch NFL Mobile for a few hours, then swap it out and get through the rest of the day. I never felt guilty or had to worry about playing games or watching videos in some free time, that extra battery really gave me some peace of mind.

So I could REALLY use an upgrade in this department. I've studied alot of closeups of the Maxx and compared them to my phone, as well as side by side comparisons. I've looked through teardowns of our phone, and seen firsthand how easy it is to separate the clips on the back cover with a fingernail. I've worked inside electronics like phones and mp3 players many times before, so it looks very simple to remove and replace the battery. I have yet to see a teardown for the Maxx, but I really doubt they would have needed to change anything else. There are already spare parts available for the regular RAZR, so I would expect its only a matter of time before we could buy the Maxx back cover, sim/sd slot, and battery, and double our battery capacity for less than $100. The slim RAZR continues to sell quite well, and will continue to do so thanks to the lower price and color options, so there will certainly be demand for this. At the same time, as the Razr Maxx becomes more widespread, I would expect we'll see replacement parts for it begin to pop up soon.

#19 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Check this out

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Source: XDA

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

I like mail! :D

#20 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, i saw that pop up. I've been debating picking up the phone and calling Motorola parts and seeing if they'll just let me order a whole MAXX housing that I can drop my "phone" components into...

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users