Photo

Car mode / dock and phone screen dilemma (horizonal/vertical)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tailland

tailland

German Dachshund :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER
  • Current Device(s):Razr XT910 (Maxxed)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

I'm a bit unnerved.
I created a shortcut to test out the car mode on my ICS razr...

1) The car mode only knows horizontal screen layout, seems unchangeable.

2) When trying to call somebody (in general, also from the car app), the phone/dialer application only knows vertical layout, also seems unchangeable.

This combination is somewhat toxic.
I want to use my phone in the car however I like, vertical or horizontal and in either case, one of the 2 apps is incompatible with my wishes -.-

Any solutions to this silly dilemma ?

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

Locking the orientation to horizontal is intentional and not a bad idea. If you make a hard turn, break hard, hit a pothole, go over a speed bump... do anything that would kick off the accelerometers your screen could go spinning leaving the driving wanting to play with it. As for the dialer being in vertical... that shouldn't be happening. Should be horizontal.

#3 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Go to settings >display & make sure that auto rotate screen is selected. Even though the car mode is locked into landscape, if this isn't checked other apps like dialer won't transition to landscape like they should.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#4 tailland

tailland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

@DroidMaster: Well, it could at least give the option to lock AFTER I decided what orientation I want to have. And I'm actually very certain I want to have vertical position, it's the best sort of installation for my car. Even if I gave in and installed it horizontally, I still have problem 2 :ß

@phatdaddyz01: Of course this setting is enabled. I tested around a bit, the phonebook / dialer app is the ONLY app that doesn't react at all to factual screen orientation. It just won't turn around, not when being called from carmode, not ever :ß

Edit:
Even Nova launcher cannot enforce landscape mode with the phonebook dialer :ß
Googling for "razr dialer rotate", I find a few pages with people who have the exact same problem. Maybe it has something to do with the ICS build version I run as gsm retail ger ?

These apps are recommended by the people who solved the problem
"Ultimate rotation control"
"Set Orientation"

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

#5 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

@DroidMaster: Well, it could at least give the option to lock AFTER I decided what orientation I want to have. And I'm actually very certain I want to have vertical position, it's the best sort of installation for my car. Even if I gave in and installed it horizontally, I still have problem 2 :ß

@phatdaddyz01: Of course this setting is enabled. I tested around a bit, the phonebook / dialer app is the ONLY app that doesn't react at all to factual screen orientation. It just won't turn around, not when being called from carmode, not ever :ß

Edit:
Even Nova launcher cannot enforce landscape mode with the phonebook dialer :ß
Googling for "razr dialer rotate", I find a few pages with people who have the exact same problem. Maybe it has something to do with the ICS build version I run as gsm retail ger ?

These apps are recommended by the people who solved the problem
"Ultimate rotation control"
"Set Orientation"

lol, no clue where that title Droid Master came from. I'd have to think it would be a bug with the GSM build as I definitely have horizontal in all apps when docked. I think the reason they chose to lock it in horizontal not giving you the option is because the OEM dock is definitely designed for horizontal. I've got quite a few issues with things they lock while docked (volume being the most annoying to me). Just one more reason I'll never buy a device with a locked bootloader intentionally. I fall into the crowd that only got the Razr because Moto had promised an unlock by end of 2011.

#6 tailland

tailland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

I mixed your username and the "title" below it :ß

I found a solution:

1)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

- Free. With this, you can set orientation settings for each and every single application and you can have a button (in the corner of each screen) to switch the orientation. Unfortunately "Auto for All" does not enforce it on applications which run their own commands (LIKE the dialer and the cardock), but if you fixate them to a specific mode, they will obeye as well.

2)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

- Free for 7 days, then you must pay :) - powerful tool to enforce all sorts of orientation modes for all/single applications. Can run automatically, as widget or in the notification bar (or all together). Works like a charm on cardock and dialer as well.

All other orientation/rotate apps didn't seem work for the Razr :ß Maybe someone else knows of a free app that works on our devices?
  • Jcubed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users