8 replies to this topic

#1 charlietokowitz

charlietokowitz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Haven't been on the ROM scene since I had an OG Droid about two years ago.. it's been a while. Just installed Flick 4.8.0 on my Droid Razr and I have a few questions.

I installed it on Rom Slot 1 in Safestrap. What does it mean when my phone boots and it says that safestrap is either activated or not activated?

What is a hot reboot?

If I decide that I want to expand the partition size of Flick 4.8 and use it as my primary ROM, can I expand it past the 3 GB safestrap permits and shrink the stock partiiton or delete it altogether?

If I delete the stock partition, will my world come shattering down?

Thanks for any help.

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Haven't been on the ROM scene since I had an OG Droid about two years ago.. it's been a while. Just installed Flick 4.8.0 on my Droid Razr and I have a few questions.

I installed it on Rom Slot 1 in Safestrap. What does it mean when my phone boots and it says that safestrap is either activated or not activated?

What is a hot reboot?

If I decide that I want to expand the partition size of Flick 4.8 and use it as my primary ROM, can I expand it past the 3 GB safestrap permits and shrink the stock partiiton or delete it altogether?

If I delete the stock partition, will my world come shattering down?

Thanks for any help.

Ok, safestrap is designed so that you will have the factory stock, rooted rom on the "non-safe" side and any roms or themes or whatever mods you want to flash, they can be done on your safe side. The nonsafe side is to be completely left alone. It won't even allow you to flash zips while your phone is booting up on the nonsafe side. You can not flash roms on the non safe side. It's just a safe place to have a working factory system. So when your phone boots up and it shows the splash screen "enabled" or "not enabled" it's indicating to you if you are booting up to the stock rom (not enabled) or if it's booting up to one of your roms that you have installed in the slots (enabled). I am not aware of anyone being able to expand anything past the sizes safestrap gives you and I can't imagine you would be able to even fill that kind of space. What you're talking about changing and shrinking partition sizes, its just not possible. The partition on the phone are the sizes they are set by Motorola when the phone is created and they aren't editable. As far as deleting the stock partition, I'm not even sure how you'd go about accomplishing that.

A hot reboot is basically systemui and framework resetting. It's not the same as a cold start from powered off state.
  • Gytole likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#3 charlietokowitz

charlietokowitz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ok, safestrap is designed so that you will have the factory stock, rooted rom on the "non-safe" side and any roms or themes or whatever mods you want to flash, they can be done on your safe side. The nonsafe side is to be completely left alone. It won't even allow you to flash zips while your phone is booting up on the nonsafe side. You can not flash roms on the non safe side. It's just a safe place to have a working factory system. So when your phone boots up and it shows the splash screen "enabled" or "not enabled" it's indicating to you if you are booting up to the stock rom (not enabled) or if it's booting up to one of your roms that you have installed in the slots (enabled). I am not aware of anyone being able to expand anything past the sizes safestrap gives you and I can't imagine you would be able to even fill that kind of space. What you're talking about changing and shrinking partition sizes, its just not possible. The partition on the phone are the sizes they are set by Motorola when the phone is created and they aren't editable. As far as deleting the stock partition, I'm not even sure how you'd go about accomplishing that.

A hot reboot is basically systemui and framework resetting. It's not the same as a cold start from powered off state.

Oh I think i see. so that partition I created is for the system files, and not for all of my other files (docs, music, videos, etc), because I can still access those from my stock install even when booting from my ROM 1 Partition?

#4 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Oh I think i see. so that partition I created is for the system files, and not for all of my other files (docs, music, videos, etc), because I can still access those from my stock install even when booting from my ROM 1 Partition?

Not exactly no. Apps and data, whether user or system do not carry over between the stock rom and your roms in their separate slots. Think of it as dual booting windows and Linux on the same pc. None of the software gets shared, only the hardware (and in Motorola case, the kernel too)

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#5 saycbone

saycbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Disregard

#6 jonwgee

jonwgee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Twitter:JonWGee
  • Google+:jonwgee
  • LocationDekalb IL

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

But anything stored on sd-ext will obviously be accessible from any ROM, whether stock or custom.

Via Tapatalk
maxx

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

But anything stored on sd-ext will obviously be accessible from any ROM, whether stock or custom.

Via Tapatalk

Yes, but any installed software wouldn't be. Stuff on the SD card is just app packages or .apk's, but they aren't actually installed anywhere.
  • Gytole likes this

#8 The Doctor

The Doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Twitter:@disc_or_die
  • Google+:plus.google.com/104749243954429604279/
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

So to answer the last part of your question charlie, no, your world would not come crashing down. However, You would be on an island by your lonesome for the most part. 99% of the ROM's that are coming out for Razr are all Safestrap based ROM's. You can get CWM, and I believe there is even a touch screen version now for the Razr. You would just use CWM to backup the stock system, delete it, and then install a ROM. But, like I said, you would be on an island. I don't even think any of us have even tested these ROM's on a Clock Work Mod Recovery. But, if you brick your phone, boot loop, etc....You might not be able to get to recovery. You would be forced to FXZ back to 6.211 (stock Moto Blur ICS) via stock Moto Recovery and then start all over again.

My suggestion.....Tons and tons of deals this weekend and on Monday for MicroSD cards. Get a 32GB (preferably class 10) and then you'll never have to worry about running out of memory again. Safestrap is designed so that no matter what, you cannot remove the "safe" partition. If all hell breaks lose and you need your phone, you can always change over to stock, meanwhile all your important Apps and such are on the SD Card. From there you are rooted, can clear SS, and clean up. Then you can start again from stock and not have to worry about having to FXZ'ing.

#9 sic0048

sic0048

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

To put it another way, you have nothing to gain and everything to loose by moving the stock partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users