• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DrNoob

DrNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Now i'm going to root tomorrow and when a ota update pops up or the ics update pops up what should I do?

#2 DrNoob

DrNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

And will some roms block the update from popping up?

#3 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

If you remove any system apps/make any changes moto doesn't like, you will need to flash a stock ROM back on before the update will work (it will fail to update until you do so). If you don't use a custom ROM, and don't delete any system apps, you usually just update directly without needing to do anything :)

Just as a note, install OTA Rootkeeper by Voodoo from the market once you have root. Open it, and tell it to protect/backup (whatever they call it) your root. This helps you not lose root after an update.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

If you remove any system apps/make any changes moto doesn't like, you will need to flash a stock ROM back on before the update will work (it will fail to update until you do so). If you don't use a custom ROM, and don't delete any system apps, you usually just update directly without needing to do anything :)

Just as a note, install OTA Rootkeeper by Voodoo from the market once you have root. Open it, and tell it to protect/backup (whatever they call it) your root. This helps you not lose root after an update.

+1
Also, make sure you temp. unroot so you can download/install the update.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#5 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

So with the razr boot strap or razr safe strap.... I read that these need disabled also correct? I have had both on my phone but just uninstalled the razr boot strap and put on the safe strap instead as I figured that would be more beneficial since I the bootstrap you had to use the app to get into recovery and safestrap you just push menu.

Just to be on the right page, do these have to be uninstalled or whatever to get the ota update?

If they do have to be disabled, just to get a better understanding why do they have to be disabled? And these specific questions and specific answers are of course for others who dont know but may not know what to ask.
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#6 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

+1
Also, make sure you temp. unroot so you can download/install the update.

One of these days I'll get you to believe me when I say temp unroot isn't necessary.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#7 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:buckeyestilidie@yahoo.com

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

So if I just hit the temp. un-root button on voodoo and download the update I'll be fine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users