• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I need help. My 12 yo son is begging for an iPod touch for Christmas. He wants a "smart phone" but we don't want to pay for a smart phone plan. So he wants a smart phone without the phone. Is the iPod touch the only option? He is literally begging for one so he can do texting and have apps and of course listen to his music. Is there not an android equivalent? He wants to be able to pocket it or I would have gotten him a nexus 7.

Your help to keep apple out of our house would be much appreciated. :-)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
  • lbroksle likes this

#2 Rinkle McBally

Rinkle McBally

Perv McGert

• Developer
  • 860 posts
  • Twitter:Rinkle_McBally
  • Google+:RinkleMcBally22@gmail.com
  • LocationForest Lake MN
  • Current Device(s):S3 D2vzw, Galaxy Tab 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

You could find a used phone on craigslist that only can be used on Wi-Fi like an iPod. Just a Wi-Fi based phone that's not activated

Y.B.'s Daddy

rink2_zps72b73afa.png

**** If you want a signature, wallpaper or avatar done feel free to hit me up send me a pm ****

#3 rockaholic112

rockaholic112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

I need help. My 12 yo son is begging for an iPod touch for Christmas. He wants a "smart phone" but we don't want to pay for a smart phone plan. So he wants a smart phone without the phone. Is the iPod touch the only option? He is literally begging for one so he can do texting and have apps and of course listen to his music. Is there not an android equivalent? He wants to be able to pocket it or I would have gotten him a nexus 7.

Your help to keep apple out of our house would be much appreciated. :-)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

The Samsung galaxy player

Sent from my portable telecommunications box

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

The Samsung galaxy player

Sent from my portable telecommunications box

Or if going cheaper.. a used DROID X ;)

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#5 mamawm

mamawm

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Google+:martha holcomb
  • Locationnortheast mississippi
  • Current Device(s):moto xpe 2015

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

1+ on the galaxy player

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

or

or

#6 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Thank you all! After the Galaxy Player suggestion I googled it and thought it was pretty nice. I took him to Best Buy last night and they actually had them side-by-side. It was an easy choice, even for him after looking at them both. He wants the Galaxy Player 4.2. I was astonished he didn't go for the 5 but he said it was "too big" *gasp* as if that were posible. heh

Looks like thats what Santa is bringing this year.
  • Torin_93 likes this

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

You can send texts over Wifi?

#8 Torin_93

Torin_93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Phew, lucky save on your part. The Galaxy player isnt too bad, especially for a young child.

#9 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

There are apps like whatsapp that can be used but the other party must use them.

#10 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Just saw

, I think it will make him happy, heh.

#11 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Or if going cheaper.. a used DROID X ;)

OK, so I was thinking a lot about this post you made here over the weekend. And I remembered that my wife has an old "Stratosphere" that she had in the closet collecting dust from when she upgraded to the S3. I pulled it out and set it all up for him with Google Voice and Groove IP.

Anyway, its gota pretty old OS on it, and from the looks of it, there is close to ZERO development for that phone going on. Just some stock rooted ROMs and tweaked stock kernals from RootzWiki.

Is there any phone out there that is around the $200 mark that has decent hardware and good development for it? I would like to have a Verizon phone in case later on we want to add him to our plan we can just activate that phone. But I think we may be changing to T-Mobile after our contract is up in another year. *shrug* Any ideas? (or should I just get him the Galaxy Player 4.2 which also has no development going on for it)

I want to keep his Christmas gift around the $200 mark

Droid Bionic?

#12 Torin_93

Torin_93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Go to Swappa.com and you may find something you like. The Razr is heading towards the $200 mark for a gently used device.
  • Shinare likes this

#13 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Go to Swappa.com and you may find something you like. The Razr is heading towards the $200 mark for a gently used device.

Thanks, I didn't even know about that page! I showed him that page and he says he wants the HTC Rezound. He's at that age where if I say he should get X then he will want Y. I showed him the Droid Bionic and said that should be pretty good and now he wants the HTC Rezound. Heh. Oh well, kids....
  • Torin_93 likes this

#14 Torin_93

Torin_93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

A rezound is nice! Im sure you could even find a rezound with beats on swappa too! Swappa is where I got my razr actually!
  • Shinare likes this

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Here are some Verizon phones that are easily found for around $200. They are all Verizon phones and are pretty decent devices. I've listed if they have a lot, or a little development. Also if they have unlockable bootloaders or not. (Not sure if the bootloaders matter but you never know.)

HTC Rezound - Lots of development - Unlockable Bootloader
Samung Galaxy Nexus - Lots of development - Unlockable Bootloader
OG Droid RAZR - Little development - Locked Bootloader
Droid Bionic - Little Development - Locked Bootloader
HTC Droid Incredible - Not sure
HTC Thunderbolt - Not sure
HTC Droid Incredible 2 - Not sure
Droid X2 - Not sure
Droid X - Not sure
Samsung Fascinate - Lot of old development - Not sure about bootloader
LG Lucid 4G - Not sure
Samsung Droid Charge - Little Development - Unlocked Bootloader (I think)
  • Shinare likes this

#16 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks BigDaddy! I'll be getting him a Rezound within the next couple days, its the one he likes and I've been reading up on it and I think it looks pretty nice too, heh.

#17 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

A rezound is nice! Im sure you could even find a rezound with beats on swappa too! Swappa is where I got my razr actually!

Yah, he's gettin one for sure. All the specs and stuff look good on it and more importantly, he's picked it out himself. lol

#18 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks BigDaddy! I'll be getting him a Rezound within the next couple days, its the one he likes and I've been reading up on it and I think it looks pretty nice too, heh.

He'll like the built in Beats Audio too, loved it when I had my Rezound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users