Photo

Screen protectors...do or do not?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Screen protectors...do or do not? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of screen protector do you use?

1. Clear Plastic (9 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Matte/Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Xtreme Guard (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

4. Voted Nuthin - I run naked. Feel that breeze! (18 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hope all of you had a great weekend!

So, this weekend, I got my fiancee a RAZR MAXX and she brought up the whole "should I have a screen protector?" question. This question has been debated by smartphone users since the first smartphone came out.

From my experience, there are 3 major types:

1-Clear plastic. This is the one that you see the most, usually very cheap and uses an adhesive on one side. These are the fun ones that you end up having to use a credit card to iron out the bubbles and almost NEVER get them all out. The advantage is that they are fairly inexpensive and totally clear so there's minimal screen distortion. The disadvantage is that ironing out the bubbles and getting it "just right" can make you want to throw the phone across the room and the "smoothness" factor and swiping can get sticky and not be as fluid.

2-Matte/Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint. These screen protectors are applied the same way and the clear platic ones but have a very different finish. They're excellent at blocking glare and truly are fingerprint resistant and their price point is similar to that of the clear plastic models. They also allow for the smoothness of swiping to not only be maintained, but improve, in my opinion. The HUGE downside, however, is that the screen clarity suffers drastically. You can see a lot of distortion "lines" and "dots", especially with apps like Facebook that are predominantly white.

3-"Xtreme Gaurd". This screen protector takes a little more leg work to apply. Instead of using a standard adhesive, it has a water activated solution on one side (Yup, water, eek!). It's applied the same way as others with a few differences. When you squeegee the bubbles out, water will come out of the sides so having a dry towel is a must have! Also, since it isn't just a sticky adhesive, it has to set. I applied this protector to my phone 2 days ago, it took about 12-16 hours to fully set. Initially it looked very bubbly and grainy but after about 8-10 hours the solution began to set and all the bubbles disappeared! It has a little bit more of a rubbery feel but still maintains very smooth swiping while giving you a more "tactile" feel to it.

After a few days with the Xtreme Gaurd, I'm going to be sticking with this one for a very long time. If you'll excuse the terrible pun. :)

Now, we all know some of us use them, some of us don't. We want to know what YOU prefer! Do you have a certain type you prefer or are you a "naked" phone person? Have any of you had an experience where the screen protector saved your phone? Let us know!

Edited by arcanexvi, 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.
ArcaneXVI is really nice and made this into a Poll for me ;)

Posted Image

#2 wlpoulson

wlpoulson

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I am sold on the "extreme" protectors and put them on all my and my families devices. The process is actually quite nice and works on other types of protectors.
I would like to tell you about me dad's experience. He bought a matte finish protector for his nexus 7. My mom called to inform me he almost threw the tablet against the wall but instead just tossed the protector in the trash after an hour of trying to get the thing positioned right. I told her to pull it out of the trash and save it for me. That night I went over and washed the protector with dish detergent and rinsed it well. While it was wet I positioned it on the cleaned screen of the nexus and "squeegeed" the bubbles and water drops out. It worked like magic.

#3 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

What is this screen protector you speak of? I run naked. No case, no screen protector. That's what gorilla glass is for ;). You should make this a poll btw :P
  • eyecre8 likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#4 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hahaha, nice! I open, and BAM! There's a poll! :)

Posted Image

#5 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Nevermind. I did it for you :P

Posted Image

#6 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hahaha, nice! I open, and BAM! There's a poll! :)

Lol, did you notice my edit by line? :P

Posted Image

#7 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Heart you.... :)

Posted Image

#8 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I've always used the cheap plastic and never had a single bubble... just make sure the glass is spot less and you won't have bubbles when applying.

#9 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Nothing! I like my phones like I like women........NAKED!
  • Torin_93 and eyecre8 like this

#10 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Gotta go naked here too... Although I have had to change the way I pocket my phone since I noticed a tiny scratch on my new DNA from my Tungsten Carbide wedding ring. :angry:

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#11 Torin_93

Torin_93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Cracked my phone screen today....had no protection. It fell out of my pocket at the gym while doing pull ups and the screen cracked out of the force of the phone hitting the ground alone. So much for gorilla glass in the razr. Now I have a screen protector on for reinforcement against spreading cracks. FML

#12 fishaholic

fishaholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Cracked my phone screen today....had no protection. It fell out of my pocket at the gym while doing pull ups and the screen cracked out of the force of the phone hitting the ground alone. So much for gorilla glass in the razr. Now I have a screen protector on for reinforcement against spreading cracks. FML

Gorilla glass isn't shatter proof just scratch resistance lol

#13 fishaholic

fishaholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

I bought the extreme due to the cheap crap scratching like crazy all the time.

Best buy ever imo

#14 Tha PHLASH

Tha PHLASH

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:ThaPHLASH
  • Google+:PHLASH Tha

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

i have a otterbox case for my gnex... dropped it several times from about 4-5 feet... on concrete, wood floors.. and while running... this thing took a beating... my phone is still in mint quality, scratch free and i had it for over a year now...

#15 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have an Otterbox on my RAZR and I have to say it does a great job! Protects the phone and the screen protector included does the job just fine. Even though it is just a basic screen protector, as long as the screen is clean before you put in on and you are careful not to get any dust underneath, you barely realize it is there.

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

#16 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Razr doesn't need any protection! I have been naked since last Dec. and the screen is perfect. There are super fine scratches on the back outer edges (the spots that would touch if you set the phone down on it's back). I have seen much worse looking scratches on phones that have been in a case for a year. Follow basic rules such as never put the phone in a pocket with ANYTHING else, and don't drop it - and you won't have any problems.

#17 fatmando2

fatmando2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Usually what it do is run naked for a while B) but once my device starts to get nicks and scratches I like to add a screen protector and case so that it doesn't get any worse also adding a case sort of makes the phone feel newer!

#18 mamawm

mamawm

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Google+:martha holcomb
  • Locationnortheast mississippi
  • Current Device(s):moto xpe 2015

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

screen protectors just bug the snot outta me. (after all, this is NOT an iphone)

#19 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Follow basic rules such as never put the phone in a pocket with ANYTHING else

That's my problem. I put my keys in that pocket too :P (Albeit I put the phone in so the keys only rub the back of the phone). So the case and screen protector actually does the job for me! :)

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

#20 tailland

tailland

German Dachshund :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER
  • Current Device(s):Razr XT910 (Maxxed)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I treat my phones as what they are - a financial investment = yes for screen protector, yes for protective casing

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users