Photo

No Note 4 category yet, but has anyone verified if this works for rooting and unlocking the bootloader of the Note 4?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

lol nice ;)

The way you wrote "One NX6 supports all major carriers with just a sim swap" could be interpreted two ways and wanted to clarify which way you meant.  Did you mean that the NX6, as a device, can be used on all carriers; or that one of the NX6's sold by Google, Moto, or carriers/retailers has that ability.  I think you meant the former, however I wanted to double check.

I'll end up pre-ordering the NX6 on Thursday when I pick up the Note 4.  I'll probably order it through Best Buy, unless I find a better deal from Google's/Moto's respective sites.  If I should use edge, I'll end up having 60% of the note 4 paid off by the time the NX6 gets released in Nov.  I'll sell the Note 4 once I get the NX6, as I'll only have around $180 invested in it and the $200 gift card for any working device is simply too lucrative to pass up lol

#22 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

Well you won't be preordering the NX6 on Thursday, sorry to say.  :p  Earliest is Oct 29 for preordering from Google.  No idea when the carriers will offer it for preorder.  Nor do we know what their pricing is going to be.  I've got the google play store open to the page I'm ordering from and will be refreshing the living hell out of it come oct 29.  LMAO.  In all reality I'll put a watch on that page and let the page notify me when it goes live.

And I meant one device to rule them all, yes.  There is, so far, only one north american SKU that handles all bands.  That is a mythical unicorn come to life if we've ever seen one.  Especially considering it's Moto hardware.  

Non potest esse nisi unus

#23 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

I found it interesting that the Google Play was available for pre-order on Amazon a bit ahead of the others..... too bad, I don't think that will be the case here....

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#24 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

oh

I found it interesting that the Google Play was available for pre-order on Amazon a bit ahead of the others..... too bad, I don't think that will be the case here....

Oh and the N9 .....

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#25 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Yea, of course they couldn't actually ship you one because it hadn't cleared the FCC yet.  LMAO  Let's REALLY hope that's not the case for the NX6.  :D

#26 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Do you remember where you saw the 29th?  Ever since you told me about the NX6, i've been reading a bunch of reviews and I came across this one from techradar that lists is as being released for pre-order the 23... which, if accurate, is something I thought you'd want to know if you're pre-ordering it.  It'll be half way down the page, right under "Nexus 6 release date and price" in bold:

http://www.techradar...eatures-1232946

" You'll be able to pre-order the Nexus 6 from the Google Play Store from October 23 for $649 in the US (that means you're probably looking around £500, AU$700)."

Just so you know, that was the only article I came across that spoke to an actual date for pre-order, and the NX6 webpage just says late October, so I have no way of verifying that from another source.

This may sound like a stupid question, but Nexus's come with an unlocked bootloader (i assume that's what you meant earlier when you said it was fully unlocked), right?  You mentioned about the kernel exploit for root access when we were talking about Moto's earlier and does this apply to Nexus's as well, or is it as simple as installing the chainfire SU apk and binaries and away you go?

#27 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

https://play.google....xus_6_blue_64gb

#28 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well, that solves that then lol

• SamuriHL likes this

#29 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Nexus is fully unlocked bootloader and sim as it's a developer device.  As for root, all phones running 5.0 will require a kernel mod because they've enabled SELinux restricted mode which disables root's ability to run as part of the init process.  Like I said, look at this thread:

http://www.droidrzr....infire-supersu/

#30 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Well, that solves that then lol

That was my thought.  LOL :)

• jw0914 likes this

#31 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Nexus is fully unlocked bootloader and sim as it's a developer device.  As for root, all phones running 5.0 will require a kernel mod because they've enabled SELinux restricted mode which disables root's ability to run as part of the init process.  Like I said, look at this thread:

http://www.droidrzr....infire-supersu/

Forgot you mentioned that earlier, thanks =]

• SamuriHL likes this

#32 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Someone on my S4 GPE thread on XDA mentioned that they could do the kernel mod for me on that device if I can get them the boot img for the device.  Apparently it's just unpacking the boot img, making the change, and repacking the boot img.  Obviously it wouldn't be signed anymore which is always fun.  LOL.  But that's where unlocked bootloaders come into play for root going forward.

#33 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Rather than ask you quite a few questions I just came up with while reading Chainfire's G+ post, for which I have no issue doing research and taking time to read, could you instead point me in the right direction on where I should look to find answers to my questions (for example, what the kernel is, what it does, the purpose of it, etc.).  All are run of the mill questions, of which I don't think is necessary to have anyone trying to answer 20 questions... 

#34 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Google is your friend in that case.  Just search for whatever it is you're looking for answers on and it should find what you need.

• jw0914 likes this

#35 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the help and information, I really appreciate it =]

• SamuriHL likes this

#36 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Here's the Dev Edition Note 4 ...

http://www.droid-lif...is-coming-soon/

• jw0914 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#37 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

The last line of that article says it all IMO.

• jw0914 likes this

#38 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

It could be Samsung made a typo, but if not, it appears from the specs it may have different hardware than the non DE, as it lists USB as 2 and not USB 3

EDIT: Nvm... Non-DE shows as USB 2... *scratches head*... could have sworn I read numerous articles prior to the release last Wed that said the Note 4 would have USB 3

#39 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Incredibly unlikely to be different hardware.

#40 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Incredibly unlikely to be different hardware.

I edited the post a few min later and added "Nvm... Non-DE shows as USB 2... *scratches head*... could have sworn I read numerous articles prior to the release last Wed that said the Note 4 would have USB 3".  

• SamuriHL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users