Photo

People, CLEAN OUT your dryer ducts and always be aware of your lint traps!

Danger Please Read! Read!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Posted Image

Well guys, this is what took place at my home this Thursday night. Around 10:30PM, I was out in my living room, doing my Droidrzr stuff, my girl was on our bed in our room doing her school work. She encountered a complicated problem that she felt she needed her good graphing calculator for. She was about to skip this problem, but hear a weird noise (coming from our gas dryer). So she decided to get up and grab her calculator and check on the noise at the same time. Well, when she opened the laundry room doors she began to see smoke. So she called me. I came down the hallway, and looked into the the laundry closet to see smoke coming from within the dryer. I immediately knew it was lint burning. (My 2 and 5 yr old daughters were asleep in the room behind me, and her (my 9 yr old "step" daughter was asleep in the room diagonal from me). I peered into the jams of the dryer door and saw flames. I told her to run into the kitchen as I raced into my garage to look for our fire extinguisher (where I had 2, but grabbed 1[which I thought at the time was appropriate]). I finally made the decision that I was gonna shoot off the fire extinguisher, knowing what kind of holy mess these things make. Not to mention the smoke alarms were now going off within my entire house. Well, I pulled the trigger on that thing and this was when it got REAL. Between the black smoke getting worse and the oxygen choking powder from the fire extinguisher, I began having a hard time breating, but my families safety came first. I covered my face and yelled to my girl "CALL 911 RIGHT NOW, IT's NOT GOING OUT!!!" Which it wasn't every time I sprayed the extinguisher into the dryer, the flame would die down, but for only a moment. My next thought was to pull the 2 plugs from the wall for the washer and dryer and to grab EVERYTHING within reach from the the laundry closet, as well as attempt to grab the clothes from within the dryer without getting burned (Which I did). In this short time, I ran down stairs and grabbed the next fire extinguisher caused my first was exhausted and the fire was still going stronger than before (lint ownz you, btw). My next major concern was getting my family out of the house. Luckily 911 had already instructed my girl to grab the kids and leave. Which she did. She went into both bedrooms, grabbed all 3 girls, covered their faces and got them downstairs and out of the house. But I wasn't going to let my house burn to the ground, especially knowing that the gas to the dryer was still on and I could hear (over the smoke alarms) sirens in the distance. Some kind of major adrenaline rush hit me and I managed to (through the flames and shit) literally man-handle my washing machine out of my way to gain access to the gas valve and shut it off (dumb move in retrospect as the whole thing could have blown up in my face). But no less, I shut it off. This was when my second extinguisher had run out. At this point, my entire home was dark. Between the smoke and the extinguisher crap that covered everything I couldn't breathe or see anything more than 6 inches in front of me, though the flames were still clear as day. I raced down to my kitchen, grabbed a pot from my stove (from dinner) and a dish towel and ran back to the burning dryer. I dumped the remain of our pasta dinner out of the pot onto my floor and began to fill it with water in the bathroom. I also wet the tower and covered my face as I was getting light headed and couldn't breathe at all at this point. I then started dumping water, pot by pot onto the fire (a futile effort). All this did was splash burning hot water and steam back up at my face, which did nothing but burn me. I could hear the sirens getting closer, it had been at least 5 minutes now since this all began. Thank GOD, the guys in turn-out gear came running into my house and up the stairs. They had a huge extinguisher full of water as well as a foam suppressant. I backed off and let them finish it as I was completely wrecked at this point. I ran outside for air, where I nearly vomited. I gasped. It felt so nice to breathe again. I returned to the house to open more windows and turn off my climate control to avoid the smoke from running throughout the rest of my home. The firemen took the dryer, still smoldering and carried it downstairs and too the street where they used their truck to really douse it. I opened a bunch of windows and sat in awe of what just happened. One of the firemen said to me: "be proud man, I know you don't feel well and I will tell you your freaking insane, but you saved your home tonight man. Had you not remained inside, in the smoke and fire to keep this under control, we would be having this conversation in the street as we watched your home burn down, rather than within it." This set in hard to me. Was I insane? Or was I determined? I don't know. It's amazing how fast instinct sets in in a true emergency. And I have never really been in a situation this close to home before. Whoa!

Moral of the story: ALWAYS clean your lint traps. Every 6 months inspect/clean your dryer vents. This is NOT exclusive to gas, LP or Electric dryers. And NEVER, EVER run a dryer at night or when you're not home. Because you can come home to nothing or worse, wake up dead. This was a ticking time bomb that I never even knew was in my home. And I had JUST cleaned this dryer out less than 6 months ago. I had it completely apart. Vacuumed the entire insides, got everything out. The cause of my fire, was a little bit of lint past the trap in the exhaust fan which lit when the drum motor began to fail and started smoking. Yeah, there's a maximum temperature sensor, but all that does is turn the dryer off...it don't turn the fire off. Wow!

tl;dr Fire in house because of dryer. Tucstwo's a hero, saved his family and his home. People, please clean out your dryers lint trap and be aware of lint in your duct work. Fires HAPPEN. 15,000 a year because of dryers. With hundreds of deaths and millions in property damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Holy crap man! Glad you and your family are ok and that it didn't turn out as bad as it could have! I get on my wife all the damn time about cleaning out the dryer lint because when I do it, it's like an inch thick. Showed her your pics and she got up and cleaned it right now.

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Holy crap man! Glad you and your family are ok and that it didn't turn out as bad as it could have! I get on my wife all the damn time about cleaning out the dryer lint because when I do it, it's like an inch thick. Showed her your pics and she got up and cleaned it right now.

Good man, cus that's the point people, if you learn nothing from this; learn that it takes a very, very small amount of lint (hell, that's what camp fire starters are made from, lint! ) to start a nasty one and if you're not around/home/awake you could have a very, very nasty situation on your hands. And thats only if ur not home and don't end up burning to death! Take it from a pro, this isn't a joke!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#4 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I was gonna say pics or dint happen. but you proved yourself lol ;)

Guess now I have to clean out the lint trap when I do the laundry, funny how 15 extra seconds seems so annoying to do lol

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#5 Staf_in_Wah

Staf_in_Wah

Protecting our Libraries from the Zombie Apocalypse!!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • Twitter:darthbiblia
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7 Pr0, TicwatchPro 3, Huawei MediaPad M5

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for posting that. I'm going to show it to my husband who loves to start the dryer as we are leaving or going to bed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

a girl has no sig

#6 mamawm

mamawm

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Google+:martha holcomb
  • Locationnortheast mississippi
  • Current Device(s):moto xpe 2015

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

so glad that you and your whole family are safe. And thanks for giving all of us this safety reminder, it's very important for people to understand just how dangerous lint can be.

#7 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

As note, the rear of many driers should also be cleaned periodically. High efficiency driers are of particular concern as they run at a much higher temperature generally. They also require different ducting. When routing ducting for driers, avoid any hard turns (90deg angles) as these cause more rapid build up, particularly the ones furthest away from the drier itself. Also with high efficiency driers, there is special ducting requirements with most units that should definitely abide by. The more expensive ducting is not a sales gimmick, it is a life saver.

Glad to hear you are safe Tucs. I know you were sick of things being wet, but this isn't how you solve that :P Seriously though, glad your house seems to have survived. My sister lost her house this was by starting her drier when she left to go shopping (another bad idea). She lives out in a hilly country area so nobody noticed till the plumes of smoke were big enough to see from miles away.
  • tucstwo likes this

#8 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Wow man. Sorry happy you're all okay and the damage wasn't too extensive! Also, huge props for fighting that thing by yourself!
  • tucstwo likes this

Posted Image

#9 droidian1441

droidian1441

News Leader

• News Team Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):HTC One M8 (primary); Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Dude this is insane! I'm glad you and your family are safe. I hope everyone who sees this takes note about this. I also have to give it to you that was amazing when you fought that fire by yourself, I'm not gonna lie. I'm glad that it is just a new dryer you have to get, and not a new house.

HTC One M8 // 3.28.605.4 // CleanROM 3.0 w/HarmonKardon audio // Android 4.4.4
n5SOtgv.jpg - "White Noise" out November 4th!
(Recommended)

#10 jp1044

jp1044

DEVELOPER

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Twitter:@jp1044
  • Google+:jp1044@gmail.com
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X Developer Edition, Droid RAZR HD (backup)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Glad to you're safe tucs! This was a nice read just after I woke up on this Sunday morning ;)

If you feel the urge to donate to me, you can do so here -> Donate

#11 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Glad you're all safe.

I'd like to recommend that for those who haven't been cleaning your dryers regularly, to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning.

When I was married, I did most of the laundry and was anal about cleaning the lint trap. I always got onto the witch about not cleaning the trap the few times she did laundry.

About a year or so after we split, when I took my daughter home she asked me to check the dryer because it smelled hot last time she used it. The lint trap was packed full. I noted lint inside the dryer in the area the trap goes into. After a half hour of pulling lint out, I elected to disassemble the dryer to clean it. Lint was packed around the drum, and had been charred. I have no idea why the lint didn't continue burning.

Long story short, if you haven't kept up with the maintenance, tear the dryer apart and thoroughly give it a good cleaning

#12 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Wow. Glad everyone is ok!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#13 tailland

tailland

German Dachshund :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER
  • Current Device(s):Razr XT910 (Maxxed)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ouch... luckily most actual devices have the lint trap placed so you can easily clean it before every useage... which I always do :ß

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

#14 sherri

sherri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:sherri64
  • LocationMy own personal hell....

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Ouch... luckily most actual devices have the lint trap placed so you can easily clean it before every useage... which I always do :ß

Yes, as do I, but lint trap doesn't catch all. Quite a bit can get stuck in the duct work. I actually take off duct tube and use a vacuum cleaner hose to clean it...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Disappointed and hurt. Not surprised.

#15 fishaholic

fishaholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Now that's a good article! Hoh always seem to get into article worthy situations! Glad everyone made it through safely

#16 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Shared the info with my brother. He theorizes you knocked something loose from the disasembly. Saying it takes a qualified person to do such a 'cleaning'. He's an idiot. He also doesn't think lint can get around the trap and into the dryer. Kudos to you, for being a true man-of-the-house! I put out a dryer fire back in college. Saved the dorm from going up. The bottoms of the other dryers were SOLID lint! Wish I could get into the one in my appartment. I did manage to replace the flexi-duct with foil-based duct!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#17 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Shared the info with my brother. He theorizes you knocked something loose from the disasembly. Saying it takes a qualified person to do such a 'cleaning'. He's an idiot. He also doesn't think lint can get around the trap and into the dryer. Kudos to you, for being a true man-of-the-house! I put out a dryer fire back in college. Saved the dorm from going up. The bottoms of the other dryers were SOLID lint! Wish I could get into the one in my appartment. I did manage to replace the flexi-duct with foil-based duct!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I cleaned out a crap ton of lint when I took it apart. TRUST ME. Lint gets past the trap.

And thank you to everyone for your kind words. This wasn't a sympathy thread, it was more of a warning to anyone who's never thought about cleaning out their actual dryer/the duct work. I know most people clean out the trap on every load. But you'd be surprised what gets passed it! Hell, I HAD this dryer apart only a few months ago and it proved to be futile.

Another thing. Please, PLEASE PEOPLE!! Never leave your home with your dryer running or worse, turn it on and go to bed. It's one thing to return to a burn down home, it's another to wake up not wake up cause you're dead. These fires are NASTY, they don't go out easy and cause of the amount of plastic within the dryer, they burn a toxic type smoke that is very dangerous. I'm lucky I survived til the fire dept came to help while trying to keep this under control with my family outside.

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Dude..... im very glad you and your family are safe.... that absolutely could have ended much worse .... you are definitely a hero, you saved your family and your home...

sent from my DROID RAZR tapadriving ...

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users