• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

17.11KB   34 downloads

Verizon is in the news yet again for what may be one of their greatest penetrations into personal privacy yet.
Verizon has filed patents for this system and label it as a "Media Content Presentation System" that would select and deliver advertisements based on "Ambient action" in a room.
Some dub the idea as "Verizon's Creepy Cam" but the plan will incorporate a slew of eavesdropping devices including: Infrared Cameras, microphones, and motions sensors.
The proposed system wouldn't be all that different from Xbox's Kinect System.

25.16KB   38 downloads

It should be noted that systems like this aren't entirely new. In 2008, Comcast proposed a similar patent that would monitor actions occurring in a room and serve up what they
believed to be relevant ads. Unfortunately, Google who has been known for targeted ad's by scanning and reading your email, has also proposed plans for a similar technology.

A frequent theme which arises out of this begs the question, how far will companies go in the violation of privacy in order to acquire metrics and data?
Numerous questions come to mind. If government entities are legally entitled access to anyone's email how would those same laws translate to the use of these 'advertising delivery systems'? Could a warrant or the Patriot act allow back door access into your homestead? Who or what resides on the backend viewing the images and sound captured by the device?
Is any of it recorded and stored on a server somewhere?

Lifestyle changes would have to be made and every day routine actions reconsidered.
Would you sit in front of your tv in your underwear or even nude? Could you engage in romantic activities in front of your TV?
What if parts of your conversations are recorded and taken out of context by prying ears? Could any of it be used against you in court?

61.16KB   39 downloads

Sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2VLkma_4U
  • mattlgroff, Nitewolf and satman80 like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

This is one of the scariest things I've read in a while. I can't believe society as a whole would allow such things to be implemented with such complacency. Is worrisome.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#3 neckchop

neckchop

pluh!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Locationatlantic City
  • Current Device(s):razr HD, razr m, note 10.1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree, that it is a scary thought. The unfortunate thing is that all they need to do is market it creatively so it appears to be fun, and people will pay good money to put this in their homes, just like the kinect. What's scarier is that the average person already has so much data collected on them everyday... every debit card swipe, phone call, text, your entire shopping trip under the guise of saving a few bucks with a "club card". It just seems that these big companies are now getting more comfortable doing this in more invasive ways.

#4 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

This is one of the scariest things I've read in a while. I can't believe society as a whole would allow such things to be implemented with such complacency. Is worrisome.

Unfortunately, in a society where most young adults are living their lives openly and publicly on massive forums such as Facebook and Twitter, it seems that privacy really isn't a concern, or even desired anymore. I have a 20 year old daughter who can't understand why I do not have a Facebook account. But its deeper than just "not understanding" why I don't but almost seeing me as a relic of a lost age when people lived their own lives privately, and somehow feeling sorry for me for it. Shareing what brand of coffee you are currently drinking while sitting at your brakefast table to 200 facebook friends instantly seems, to me anyway, a willful relinquishment of one's own privacy already.

#5 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Other than the privacy issue, there is also the use of one's system resources and battery etc..

They better update battery tech first. And then I will tape over my lenses.

I already think they need built in covers for lenses but how could they spy then?

If you think about it, our cell phones are like agents in the matrix. Anytime the company or government needs a set of eyes, one could access the cameras/mics of a phone nearby.

#6 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Was watching NBC nightly news last night and one of the topics of conversation was exactly this...
TV's with built in hidden cameras and microphones and the topic of privacy.
The following article isn't entirely hot off the press, but its new enough to get the point across:

My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users