5 replies to this topic

#1 sonofskywalker3

sonofskywalker3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

I've been having this issue for months, with every ICS Rom I've ever used on the Bionic and I'm really starting to get tired of it. I'm wondering if anyone has found a work around or fix for this issue?

When using HDMI or USB Audio out on the Bionic I find that the volume is either all or nothing, no in between. This happens with my official Motorola Car Dock using the USB Y cable (I can adjust phone volume if I plug the audio cable into the headphone jack instead of the Y cable). It happens when I use a Micro-HDMI cable to hook the phone up to my HDTV. And most annoying, it happens when I use the Bionic Lapdock. I really can't stand it with the Lapdock because it doesn't have independent volume control like the car and TV do.

Has anyone found a way to make the volume adjust like it used to on Webtop 2.0? What ROM are you using? I am currently using Icarus HD 1.5, but I'd gladly change to any ROM that volume works on.

#2 nitephlight

nitephlight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

there is a work around, but it doesn't persist on boot (or seemingly between song tracks)

first: that is intended behavior (particularly for the USB y cable). it bypasses the software DSP and interacts directly with audio HW (high-performance mode) so *changing software levels of volume does nothing*.

the only way to control volume at the HW level is through direct alsa commands. download alsa mixer from the play store and install the packages. you will need to find the controls for
-ST DAC
-ST DL

these will control your hw volume, but because of the way motorola implemented HDMI and the audio back end, these settings will likely shoot back to default once playback is terminated and restarted.

#3 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL on Google Fi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi nitephlight, I was wondering if you had any more info on the st-dac and st-dl commands? What value to raise or lower to adjust lapdock volume is what I'm after, I'm not my near mine atm so I can't check. Thanks

#4 nitephlight

nitephlight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

i would imagine ST DAC switch controls hdmi volume as well, it's very early in the output chain. DL entries stand for downlink (output) UL uplink (input). i will check in a bit for certain.

#5 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL on Google Fi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Ok thanks for the clarification

#6 smileythom

smileythom

:-)

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0"

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Nitephlight - Thanks for this information. I was wonder since the first ICS leaks for Bionics why my audio with the lapdock was "not working." Now it make sense. I can under stand that they would make the assumption that any audio going out the usb/hdmi prots would be controlled by another device anyway so don't worry about it. The problem is their lapdock device doesn't have any audio controls. Oh well, I'll try alsa and see if it can help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users