#1 lostsoul01

lostsoul01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFrom the dark shadows of Texas
  • Current Device(s):OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Sorry if this has already been asked but I can't root my RAZR maxx after the update. I've tried to go back to .211 using Matt's 1.82 root tool. Can anyone please help?

#2 aarnold0805

aarnold0805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Twitter:aarnold3273
  • Google+:aarnold0805@gmail.com
  • LocationRiverton, WY.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Matt has a small utility you can try, but if you didn't use root keeper your probably going to have to wait until they find the exploit for rooting JB. Sorry I don't have better news. :ph34r:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

• lostsoul01 likes this
Sent from my 209 KOA RAZR

#3 lostsoul01

lostsoul01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Matt has a small utility you can try, but if you didn't use root keeper your probably going to have to wait until they find the exploit for rooting JB. Sorry I don't have better news. :ph34r:

no worries I appreciate your help. Haven't tried it yet. Bout to get on that. I wasn't thinking when I updated. Lol thanks again.

#4 aarnold0805

aarnold0805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Twitter:aarnold3273
  • Google+:aarnold0805@gmail.com
  • LocationRiverton, WY.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

no worries I appreciate your help. Haven't tried it yet. Bout to get on that. I wasn't thinking when I updated. Lol thanks again.

no problem. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck :ph34r:

Sent from my 209 KOA RAZR

#5 Marcos915

Marcos915

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:marx915
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

most of us just updated out of pure excitement lol ill just have to wait till the exploit is found :/ at least most of the roms will be perfected by that time :D

#6 flashman2002

flashman2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Pretty much what they said. You would have had to protect root before upgrading to JB. Try the exploit in Matt's utility thread. Might not work though. Make sure you are in MTP mode when you plug your phone in to the computer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#7 jagman

jagman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'm frustrated because I did follow Matt's directions and retained root but had a bad DL. Speaker phone was stuck on and email didn't work with the JB update. I tried to reinstall SS after the update and got into a bootloop (I think it was related to the bad DL). Eventually I had to use Matt's 1.82 utility to "revert" back to 211. It didn't let me go back but it confused the system enough that I could reflash a second (and good) DL of the JB leak. It worked so I have a fully functioning MOTO version of JB but I lost root. It's nice to have a functional bluetooth connection and no camera issues but man the stock JB version sucks. I cannot wait for a new root exploit!

#8 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

You cannot get a bad download to install.... If it flashes the update it worked. 1 byte off or an MD5 change and it won't install.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#9 jagman

jagman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Well. I don't know what happened. I had issues with the initial JB flash. I got into that boot loop after trying to update SS to 3.07. I was not on the safe side so I don't know why it happened. Either way your 1.82 utility saved my gluteus maximus! I just chalked it up to the risk of rooting. And... we all know we are taking a risk and that we are individually responsible for our own phones.

#10 bleulin

bleulin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:bleulin
  • Google+:bleulin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

UP。。。waiting for the stock jb root....

#11 radar201

radar201

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

i too upgraded to jb and did everything to the tee excpet keep root. I was just too excited then now i regret it especially with all these jb roms coming out of the wood work.

#12 Mr-Glass

Mr-Glass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

i too upgraded to jb and did everything to the tee excpet keep root. I was just too excited then now i regret it especially with all these jb roms coming out of the wood work.

I want to update to JB and keep root, however I may be missing brain cells because I am not sure which thread to follow.. can someone link it here.. I really want JB on my Razr - I have it on my N7 and yes on my Nook color - currently I am on ICS 211 I believe with SS/root

#13 lostsoul01

lostsoul01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Me too! Its gonna be a great day when we can once again root our phones!

#14 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I want to update to JB and keep root, however I may be missing brain cells because I am not sure which thread to follow.. can someone link it here.. I really want JB on my Razr - I have it on my N7 and yes on my Nook color - currently I am on ICS 211 I believe with SS/root

Have you looked at the dual boot thread yet? That would be the best way to go about running JB (IMHO). You can run JB on the JB kernel and not lose the ability to go back to ICS if you should decide to do that. Going back doesn't involve wiping. Just reflash the ICS kernel in the utility in the thread and boot back to an ICS rom. No fear of losing root doing it this way. It works great.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• Mr-Glass likes this

#15 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Matt. Just a thought here. Perhaps you should add a link to the dual boot utility with a short blurb about it being another possibility in the OP of this this thread. It might save a lot of people a headache or two. From reading some of the posts here, it seems a lot of people aren't even aware of that thread and are installing this without realizing there is an alternative. Like I said, just a thought. ;)

#16 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

OOPS, wrong thread for that last post. Sorry. It was meant for Matt's original thread about the JB update. Guess I'll leave it here though in case Matt checks in.

#17 Mr-Glass

Mr-Glass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

OOPS, wrong thread for that last post. Sorry. It was meant for Matt's original thread about the JB update. Guess I'll leave it here though in case Matt checks in.

+1 on that - thanks robocuff - I guess I am missing it - which thread is considered the best for just getting the OTA JB keeping root if you already have ICS 211 with Root and Safestrap 3.0.7

#18 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

• Mr-Glass likes this

#19 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

PS:if you don't follow instructions to a T you will lose root
  • Mr-Glass likes this

#20 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Well, in my opinion the best one is the one I linked to. However, if you use the utility you don't want to install the leak itself. Rather, use the utility I linked to to flash the JB kernel and then boot to safestrap and install one of the roms that are in

to one of the slots you have in created in safestrap. If you want something that's the same thing as the leak, use Hashcode's JB base rom for developers.

Otherwise you can grab one of the custom roms in that forum. Your choice.

Once you've flashed one of the JB roms, just reboot as you normally would and you'll be running JB. If for some reason you decide you want to go back to ICS or perhaps back to the stock ICS rom on your phone, use the utility to flash the ICS kernel, boot into safestrap and select the ICS rom you want to use. Either one you already had installed to one of the slots, the stock rom or install the ICS rom of your choice to one of the slots you have available.

It's really pretty slick and you don't risk losing root, plus, you can still fastboot back to 211 if need be.

If you don't like that and are hell bent on installing the leak itself, I guess the best thread to use is Matt's original thread. If you use that update though, there's no going back to ICS and if you lose root (there's been several who have for one reason or another) there's no way to root it at this time. Here's a link to Matt's original thread. It's the one I'd use if I were going to install the leak.

• Mr-Glass likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users