16 replies to this topic

#1 trynberg

trynberg

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I have much poorer battery life after the JB update. I can see from the battery life screen that the phone is awake nearly all of the time, even with the screen off. I don't immediately see any app constantly running. All settings are the same as they were on ICS.

Can someone point me to a primer on identifying what is keeping the phone awake all the time? Thanks.

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have much poorer battery life after the JB update. I can see from the battery life screen that the phone is awake nearly all of the time, even with the screen off. I don't immediately see any app constantly running. All settings are the same as they were on ICS.

Can someone point me to a primer on identifying what is keeping the phone awake all the time? Thanks.

here you go ;)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

also maybe try a cpu sleeper like this one :)

hope this is helpful :)

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Do you have an app running wildly? May need to do a data wipe. Mine was bad at first, but then I drained it and recharged fully while it was off and all is good.
Posted Image

#4 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Here is a screenshot. Screen time is low, not real heavy screen use today. On screen time is about an hour.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ba.jpg   91.12KB   32 downloads

Posted Image

#5 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Here is a screenshot. Screen time is low, not real heavy screen use today. On screen time is about an hour.

that doesnt seem bad though lol i have things like nova launcher and beautiful widgets stealing my battery, plus maps always has to pop its head in. could use the better battery stats to find apps that are draining the battery then can use App Quarantine ROOT/FREEZE (

) to freeze apps draining battery :) i have found that this phone seems to wake often though

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#6 kafreeman

kafreeman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I was running into poor battery life as well. I flashed back to ICS and reapplied all updates wiping data between them. I got 2 days 14 hours out of the phone the other day with ~4hrs screen time.

My phone was warm to the touch prior to the reset and this has ceased since reapplying updates.

It did reoccur after I froze the Verizon Backup Assistant apks though so that may have been my problem in the first place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

#7 trynberg

trynberg

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I should provide more information.

I've had Droids for over 3 years so I definitely have experience trying to maximize battery life.

My HD Maxx was rooted on day one; I use TiBkup to freeze the Verizon and bloatware apps. I got outstanding battery life, typically in the 30+hour range with several hours of screen time. I updated to JB with the OTA update (not the leak). I made no other changes - no new apps, no changes in settings. I noticed pretty quickly that the phone ran a little warmer and the battery life decreased significantly, especially with screen time. I then noticed that the phone was nearly constantly awake. I messed with it a few days and then backup up my data and factory reset the phone (still on JB, did not fastboot back to ICS). I then restored my data and have the same problem. It looks like I'm more in the 20 hour range with 4-5 hours of screen time. This is a pretty significant decrease.

I will try that battery dump info app recommend by zooyork and see if the dev can notice any problems.

#8 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I should provide more information.

I've had Droids for over 3 years so I definitely have experience trying to maximize battery life.

My HD Maxx was rooted on day one; I use TiBkup to freeze the Verizon and bloatware apps. I got outstanding battery life, typically in the 30+hour range with several hours of screen time. I updated to JB with the OTA update (not the leak). I made no other changes - no new apps, no changes in settings. I noticed pretty quickly that the phone ran a little warmer and the battery life decreased significantly, especially with screen time. I then noticed that the phone was nearly constantly awake. I messed with it a few days and then backup up my data and factory reset the phone (still on JB, did not fastboot back to ICS). I then restored my data and have the same problem. It looks like I'm more in the 20 hour range with 4-5 hours of screen time. This is a pretty significant decrease.

I will try that battery dump info app recommend by zooyork and see if the dev can notice any problems.

well honestly lol 20 hours is still great look at most of the other phones need to charge very often, im on jb and i usually can get two days.

the battery app will help show what apps might be draining battery :)

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#9 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have noticed the Android OS is taking a lot of battery on my phone now. Didn't do that on ICS or GB.. Wonder if JB is a memory hog or "keep awake" monster? I still get very good battery life on light use and about 14-16 on extreme use. I can't complain at all.
Posted Image

#10 nateohio

nateohio

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

When you restored your data...you kind of eliminated the benefit of doing a reset. Try wiping the phone and allowing the play store to restore your apps, then going through and manually readjusting your settings to your preferences.

I know its a pain, but that's always worked for me...issues like you are having scream "corrupt data" somewhere in the system files.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

#11 trynberg

trynberg

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. I actually restored the apps from the Play Store and then just restored app data using TiBkup for apps like games and then my SMS messages. I hear what you are saying. If the battery dev cannot help, I'll just restore the phone back to ICS and start over.

#12 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

You cannot go back to ICS once on JB. Do not try to FB back, you will brick for shizzy..
Posted Image

#13 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

You cannot go back to ICS once on JB. Do not try to FB back, you will brick for shizzy..

? pretty sure you can fastboot back to ics on the RazrHD whenever you feel like

thanks to matt of course :D

i have went back to ics for reasons a few times

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#14 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

My bad man, didn't even notice you had the hd. Carry on lol.
Posted Image

#15 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

My bad man, didn't even notice you had the hd. Carry on lol.

all good :) but yeah this section is part of the Razr HD section :) lol but for the original Razr yes I do believe you would brick if fastboot back lol

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#16 supe32

supe32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I was running into poor battery life as well. I flashed back to ICS and reapplied all updates wiping data between them. I got 2 days 14 hours out of the phone the other day with ~4hrs screen time.

My phone was warm to the touch prior to the reset and this has ceased since reapplying updates.

It did reoccur after I froze the Verizon Backup Assistant apks though so that may have been my problem in the first place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

how do you wipe the data and reapply the updates? ive noticed that my battery life isnt that great since the jellybean update as well...

#17 RayLovesick

RayLovesick

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Check out BetterBatteryStats in the Play Store to get an idea what is causing the wake locks.

One thing that worked for me was to disable location reporting in Maps. You can still use your location when you want to but it won't automatically update to Latitude. Apps (like weather apps) can still find your location just fine. I got drastically reduced wake locks and increased battery life as a result, with no loss in functionality, as I don't use Latitude. Also disable location tracking in apps that don't need it, like Twitter or Facebook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users