aegis-volanti

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTau Volantis
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

i just noticed that there is a bulge on the back of my razr maxx where the battery is. its also an uneven bulge. is this a common problem?

#2 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Not sure on common, but that happened on my DroidX and it was the battery. It was completely swollen, looked ready to explode and was also dead. In a DX tho, I could replace it. I would recommend taking it to VZW.

#3 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

How long have you had your phone? Are you rooted and overclocking at all? Sounds like a heat issue or an unstable battery. Not too common but can happen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

i suggest you fastboot asap and clean up your phone. make sure you arent overclocked and take it to verizon. ask them if its possible to fix that.

bloated battery is not exactly a fun thing on a device that doesnt have a removable battery cover. at least not meant to have a removable battery cover.
f
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 thaijunk

thaijunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Could it also be that you're constantly leaving it on the charger or the type of charger you are using (OEM vs generic meritline ones)?
I've seen minor bulges on my old cell phones. It wasn't too bad but definitely noticeable compared to a new battery.

#6 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Definitely send it back.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • neckchop likes this
Posted Image

#7 aegis-volanti

aegis-volanti

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTau Volantis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have it rooted and overclocked. But my temp hasn't passed 102 degrees. Which is normal.

#8 aegis-volanti

aegis-volanti

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTau Volantis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm happy its li-ion. The least volatile of the lithium batteries.

#9 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I have not had that problem on my OG Razr or my new Maxx yet. But when I upgraded to my OG Razr, I forgot I left my Droid X on and it fully discharged the battery. A few weeks later I picked it up and noticed a strange mark on the screen. The battery had swollen up so much that it was pushing on the back side of the screen. Opened the back, pulled it out and the thing was almost double the thickness.

I did some reading, and it sounds like the Li-ion battery release a gas if it is extremely discharged to many times. I have since charged and discharged it a few times, and it has gone down a little bit, but I still cant put the battery door back on. So basically if I want to use it, I need to replace the battery. I actually this this a lot in Automotive batteries as well. Customers bring in batteries that are not starting their cars and they have bulges on the sides from them expanding.

I agree with most, that I would get back on a factory .211 and talk to Verizon and possibly even Motorola. It sounds like the battery could have a short or something else is messing up.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#10 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Remove your Battery completely from your phone...Get a New One...I will alternate Batteries on my phone so to monitor or check if any of my batteries are swollen I will disgard...

If its swollen you got your monies worth or its defective... Leaving a Swollen Battery in your phone will Corirode you componets in your phone causing bigger issues or replacement of your phone...

Its Bubba

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#11 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I know this topic is old, but I have the same issue on my RAZR MAXX. Took it into Verizon today. They looked at it and said, go ahead and replace it under warranty even though I don't have one.   This is cool. This means I get to keep my unlimited data plan and don't have to pay a cent on anything.   I just noticed it was doing this about a week ago. Hopefully, it won't explode on me as I don't have any other phone I can use right now.   The new phone should arrive in about 3 to 5 working days. UPDATE: Well, got my new phone. Turns out they sent me a Droid RAZR HD as the replacement. Luckily, it's boot loader was unlockable.

• legend221 likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users