6 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:buckeyestilidie@yahoo.com

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

So if I just root my Razr not flash no custom ROM or nothing, what do I gotta do to install the stock ICS update?? Will I be able to no problem like not having to unroot or nothing?? Need help fast guys!!!!!

#2 BigJArm

BigJArm

• Developer
  • 212 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR; Nexus 10

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

There isn't an official ICS update yet. Just a ROM that is still in beta.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#3 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

You won't need to do anything as long as you don't touch the bloatware.

But you may want to protect your root before any updates.. I learned my lesson in the last ota update..

Sent from my Motorola Razr XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#4 RoyR80

RoyR80

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

You won't need to do anything as long as you don't touch the bloatware.

But you may want to protect your root before any updates.. I learned my lesson in the last ota update..

Sent from my Motorola Razr XT910

Protect root?? (plz advise)
Razr,Rooted,Stock ROM,LPP(Retired:Droid1,ChevySS ROM,Rooted for 2 yrs)

#5 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:buckeyestilidie@yahoo.com

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

What does protect root mean? You mean backup all my apps and stuff with Titanium?? And I know there's no official stock ICS I'm just wondering if I should wait and root it or just root it and wait for the update. I also plan to remove all the bloatware that isn't necessary like the stock browser, Vcast stuff, and the stock SMS and other little things. What should I do if I plan on removing the bloatware I don't want?

#6 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

When he says protect root he means "Forever Root" like we had to do on the Bionic. It keeps you on the OTA path so you can still receive OTA's but locks in your root so when your phone updates OTA it doesn't unroot you also.
Posted Image

#7 merdinh

merdinh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

What does protect root mean? You mean backup all my apps and stuff with Titanium?? And I know there's no official stock ICS I'm just wondering if I should wait and root it or just root it and wait for the update. I also plan to remove all the bloatware that isn't necessary like the stock browser, Vcast stuff, and the stock SMS and other little things. What should I do if I plan on removing the bloatware I don't want?

Before you flash any new updates, or before you download, and install an OTA update, and your rooter, you have to download OTA RootKeeper from the market place, and launch the app, and simply click on "Protect Root" and thats it, now you can install your OTA update, and once all is done installing, you simply launch the app again, and click "Restore Root", which will restore your root files, so you will be rooted again without having to go through the root process, or possibly not being able to root with a new update.
  • buckeyestilidie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users