#1 simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

I've heard people talk about "letting the system settle" after flashing a new rom. What does this mean and how is it beneficial?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#2 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

means set the phone down for a little bit and let it settle in. Its lets everything get in sync so there is no issues or lag going on. To many times we see folks flash a ROM, fire it up and go crazy style setting up the apps, and different device settings but they complain about lag and stuff. That is why it is suggested to "let it settle in". Wha ti normally do is falsh a ROM if I wiped it out I login to my Google account and the nset it down and walk away for a bit. This lets the Market sync, pulls all my contacts from google account and so forth. And with me leaving it do that and settle I'm not messing with it so when I come back to set the device up everything is good to go.

IMHO the problem is ppl are to excited to mess with a new ROM and do not want to set it down....lol

#3 simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

If you don't let it settle in, can that affect overall performance in the long run? Ie, battery life? I ask because I see people saying they're getting 48 hours of life on one charge.

#4 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Well a big part of that is people not specifying whether they're using the Razr or Razr Maxx when posting things like that.

:-D :-D

#5 simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm on the maxx running abysm 1.1. With heavy use I can get about 10-12 hours on one charge. But I see peeps talking about getting 30 hours or more. I'm not using juice defender and I'm usually on 4G as I notice that 4G tends to be a bit faster than wifi. I have 2 smart actions: when connected to wifi it turns off cell data, and my screen is on auto bright during the day. I'm just wondering how peeps are getting so much more life. Don't get me wrong tho, the maxx bat life is way better than the bat life I was getting on my regular razr, which was about 4hours with light to moderate use.Edit: actually on 1 charge I can get about 14hours which to me is pretty kick rear end.

#6 DroidTh3ory

DroidTh3ory

Developer

• Developer
  • 648 posts
  • Twitter:@droidth3ory
  • LocationTroy, Michigan

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I all absolute BS on the FULL 1 and 2 day claims. Unless you have your system neutered or barely using it... ME NO believe it. Lol.

I could shut all my $#!+ off and set it on the table for a day also... But... That's not what I bought it for. :)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

#7 simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

So all in all, I'm getting the proper amount of life then. I guess that's my main concern. Thanks for all your feedback guys. And thanks DT for showing the razr some love. Your work is much appreciated. I have mad respect for all developers and wish I had the skills you guys have. Thanks again :D

#8 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

I all absolute BS on the FULL 1 and 2 day claims. Unless you have your system neutered or barely using it... ME NO believe it. Lol.

I could shut all my $#!+ off and set it on the table for a day also... But... That's not what I bought it for.

Haha me too, I use mine fairly heavily but baby the $#!+ out if it. Wifi always off when not using it, same with GPS and Bluetooth, smart actions kill all connections when screen is off, etc.

I get 7 hours on a real good day.

:-D :-D

#9 alansirhc

alansirhc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

That is why it is suggested to "let it settle in". Wha ti normally do is falsh a ROM if I wiped it out I login to my Google account and the nset it down and walk away for a bit. This lets the Market sync, pulls all my contacts from google account and so forth. And with me leaving it do that and settle I'm not messing with it so when I come back to set the device up everything is good to go.

My normal routine is setting up the google account (linked to a separate gmail address I don't use for anything else), immediately race to the sync screen and disable them all before they can screw anything up, then go to the privacy settings and make sure I've disabled the "back up my data" option. I tend to swear a lot during this process. After all that, I set up droidwall. I guess I put off restoring all my apps, but for a bit different reason.

#10 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

My normal routine is setting up the google account (linked to a separate gmail address I don't use for anything else), immediately race to the sync screen and disable them all before they can f%$k anything up, then go to the privacy settings and make sure I've disabled the "back up my data" option. I tend to swear a lot during this process.

That just sounds like you really badly need to customize your ROMs first, lol.

#11 alansirhc

alansirhc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

That just sounds like you really badly need to customize your ROMs first, lol.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea; I've just never gone through the trouble to figure out how. Just lazy, I guess. That stuff is probably just in a system settings SQL database that could be edited before flashing, I suppose?

I did notice some other interesting things when I was setting up the wireless entitlement check for tethering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users